Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 AM
David Henningsson

Default : Acer aspire 7736 - Playback not working

BugLink: https://launchpad.net/bugs/617647

SRU Justification:

Impact: A regression in Maverick caused audio playback to stop working
on Acer aspire 7736.

Fix: Require some new low-impact quirk infrastructure plus the actual quirk.

Testcase: Try playing back through internal speakers and headphones on
the machine.

Both patches has been accepted upstream (as commits 90622917 and
c3d226ab) but it does not make sense to send to stable@kernel.org since
2.6.35 isn't maintained anymore.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

Old 11-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 11:16 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> BugLink: https://launchpad.net/bugs/617647
>
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact: A regression in Maverick caused audio playback to stop working
> on Acer aspire 7736.
>
> Fix: Require some new low-impact quirk infrastructure plus the actual quirk.
>
> Testcase: Try playing back through internal speakers and headphones on
> the machine.
>
> Both patches has been accepted upstream (as commits 90622917 and
> c3d226ab) but it does not make sense to send to stable@kernel.org since
> 2.6.35 isn't maintained anymore.

Looks reasonable and there is positive test confirmation in the bug
report. Only minor nit picks would be that I'd also add the BugLink to
Patch 1/2 and I'd also add references to the upstream commits in both
patches. But I'll leave it to Brad/Steve to decide if they want to fix
that up by hand when applying.

Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara <leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>

Old 11-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Stefan Bader

On 11/11/2010 07:19 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 11:16 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
>> BugLink: https://launchpad.net/bugs/617647
>>
>> SRU Justification:
>>
>> Impact: A regression in Maverick caused audio playback to stop working
>> on Acer aspire 7736.
>>
>> Fix: Require some new low-impact quirk infrastructure plus the actual quirk.
>>
>> Testcase: Try playing back through internal speakers and headphones on
>> the machine.
>>
>> Both patches has been accepted upstream (as commits 90622917 and
>> c3d226ab) but it does not make sense to send to stable@kernel.org since
>> 2.6.35 isn't maintained anymore.
>
> Looks reasonable and there is positive test confirmation in the bug
> report. Only minor nit picks would be that I'd also add the BugLink to
> Patch 1/2 and I'd also add references to the upstream commits in both
> patches. But I'll leave it to Brad/Steve to decide if they want to fix
> that up by hand when applying.
>
> Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara <leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>

As Leann said, the BugLink and upstream references. Also another nitpick, just
because .35 is your target and is not supported anymore, it may be nice as a
courtesy to send them there for .36. ;-)

Acked-by: Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@canonical.com>

Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 AM
David Henningsson

On 2010-11-11 19:19, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 11:16 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
>> BugLink: https://launchpad.net/bugs/617647
>>
>> SRU Justification:
>>
>> Impact: A regression in Maverick caused audio playback to stop working
>> on Acer aspire 7736.
>>
>> Fix: Require some new low-impact quirk infrastructure plus the actual quirk.
>>
>> Testcase: Try playing back through internal speakers and headphones on
>> the machine.
>>
>> Both patches has been accepted upstream (as commits 90622917 and
>> c3d226ab) but it does not make sense to send to stable@kernel.org since
>> 2.6.35 isn't maintained anymore.
>
> Looks reasonable and there is positive test confirmation in the bug
> report. Only minor nit picks would be that I'd also add the BugLink to
> Patch 1/2 and I'd also add references to the upstream commits in both
> patches. But I'll leave it to Brad/Steve to decide if they want to fix
> that up by hand when applying.
>
> Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara<leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>

How about then I'll instead ask you to cherrypick commits 90622917 and
c3d226ab from linux-2.6? That way you'll get upstream references
automatically, I assume.

As for the buglink, I don't agree - you have the buglink in the second
one only (both in c3d226ab and in the patch posted), which should be
correct. That way you don't risk the bug appear to be fixed by only
applying the first one by mistake. (And for the sake of argument, the
second one won't even apply, or at least not build, without the first
one, so if you do the mistake the other way, you'll find it.)

Old 11-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Stefan Bader

On 11/12/2010 10:12 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 2010-11-11 19:19, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 11:16 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
>>> BugLink: https://launchpad.net/bugs/617647
>>>
>>> SRU Justification:
>>>
>>> Impact: A regression in Maverick caused audio playback to stop working
>>> on Acer aspire 7736.
>>>
>>> Fix: Require some new low-impact quirk infrastructure plus the actual quirk.
>>>
>>> Testcase: Try playing back through internal speakers and headphones on
>>> the machine.
>>>
>>> Both patches has been accepted upstream (as commits 90622917 and
>>> c3d226ab) but it does not make sense to send to stable@kernel.org since
>>> 2.6.35 isn't maintained anymore.
>>
>> Looks reasonable and there is positive test confirmation in the bug
>> report. Only minor nit picks would be that I'd also add the BugLink to
>> Patch 1/2 and I'd also add references to the upstream commits in both
>> patches. But I'll leave it to Brad/Steve to decide if they want to fix
>> that up by hand when applying.
>>
>> Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara<leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>
>>

> How about then I'll instead ask you to cherrypick commits 90622917 and
> c3d226ab from linux-2.6? That way you'll get upstream references
> automatically, I assume.

But still would then miss your s-o-b for the sru (to document who submitted it
for that). It is quite similar to what you would do for submitting stable
patches to Greg. He also wants a "commit <sha1> upstream" added to the patch.
For our srus you alternatively could extend the s-o-b area by

(cherry-picked from <sha1> upstream)
Signed-of-by: <you>

> As for the buglink, I don't agree - you have the buglink in the second
> one only (both in c3d226ab and in the patch posted), which should be
> correct. That way you don't risk the bug appear to be fixed by only
> applying the first one by mistake. (And for the sake of argument, the
> second one won't even apply, or at least not build, without the first
> one, so if you do the mistake the other way, you'll find it.)

No it isn't. All patches added for SRU need to reference the bug for which they
are needed. Duplicates are allowed and ok. But the SRU team will usually reject
updates when they contain patches without reference. And they are not keen on
reading patches to find out about any dependencies.

-Stefan

Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
David Henningsson

Attaching modified patches according to your wishes.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Stefan Bader

On 11/16/2010 02:17 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
> Attaching modified patches according to your wishes.

Thanks David.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Brad Figg

On 11/16/2010 05:17 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
> Attaching modified patches according to your wishes.
>
> On 2010-11-11 11:16, David Henningsson wrote:
>> BugLink: https://launchpad.net/bugs/617647
>>
>> SRU Justification:
>>
>> Impact: A regression in Maverick caused audio playback to stop working
>> on Acer aspire 7736.
>>
>> Fix: Require some new low-impact quirk infrastructure plus the actual
>> quirk.
>>
>> Testcase: Try playing back through internal speakers and headphones on
>> the machine.
>>
>> Both patches has been accepted upstream (as commits 90622917 and
>> c3d226ab) but it does not make sense to send to stable@kernel.org since
>> 2.6.35 isn't maintained anymore.

David,

The second patch doesn't apply cleanly against Maverick. Did you apply
it against Maverick and build it?

Brad
--
Brad Figg brad.figg@canonical.com http://www.canonical.com

Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM
David Henningsson

On 2010-11-11 11:16, David Henningsson wrote:

BugLink: https://launchpad.net/bugs/617647

SRU Justification:

Impact: A regression in Maverick caused audio playback to stop working
on Acer aspire 7736.

Fix: Require some new low-impact quirk infrastructure plus the actual
quirk.

Testcase: Try playing back through internal speakers and headphones on
the machine.

Both patches has been accepted upstream (as commits 90622917 and
c3d226ab) but it does not make sense to send to stable@kernel.org since
2.6.35 isn't maintained anymore.

David,

The second patch doesn't apply cleanly against Maverick. Did you apply
it against Maverick and build it?

Ok, 3rd attempt - these both apply and build with ubuntu-maverick.git. I
keep my fingers crossed that things will work now and that the community
will test accordingly, so that it doesn't get reverted.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Tim Gardner

On 11/11/2010 03:16 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
> BugLink: https://launchpad.net/bugs/617647
>
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact: A regression in Maverick caused audio playback to stop working
> on Acer aspire 7736.
>
> Fix: Require some new low-impact quirk infrastructure plus the actual
> quirk.
>
> Testcase: Try playing back through internal speakers and headphones on
> the machine.
>
> Both patches has been accepted upstream (as commits 90622917 and
> c3d226ab) but it does not make sense to send to stable@kernel.org since
> 2.6.35 isn't maintained anymore.

pulled and pushed to master-next with minor commit log edits.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com