Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 PM
David Nicol

Default "When we are unsure, we ask for help" adding an ioctl to a file system

I have written a patch that adds a new (sponsored, hopefully
mainline-track) ioctl for a linux file system, but I am having
difficulty getting my modification to appear in Ubuntu linux.

My working theory is that I have not replaced the module for the file
system in question, even though I have run the package installer on
the resulting kpkg results, in the boot sequence.

Another possibility is that there is a security layer that filters
allowed IOCTLs and the new one must be added to a list.

My question therefore is, where does the Maverick boot process find
its kernel modules? (are they in the file system or in the initrd
image?) Maybe the installation process for getting the modification
into a production Ubuntu system is simply replacing the file system
module, instead of replacing the whole kernel.

Please advise.

--
"Many question the validity of the current copyright, as the melody of
the song was most likely borrowed from other popular songs of the