Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Brad Figg

Default SRU: Restore video from S3 resume on Sandybridge

On 10/19/2010 01:49 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 20:03 +0100, Colin King wrote:
>> From: Colin Ian King<colin.king@canonical.com>
>>
>> BugLink: http://launchpad.net/bugs/663442
>>
>> SRU Justification:
>>
>> Impact: Resuming from S3 on Sandybridge laptops results in a blank display
>> and no video.
>>
>> Fix: Attached 5 patches restore fence registers correctly, align the display
>> surface so to avoid tiling corruption and correctly check for sandybrige
>> chipset in resume path.
>>
>> Testcase: Without the patches, resume from S3 results in a blank display with
>> no video being displayed. With the patches, S3 can be run multiple times and
>> video is restored correctly on each resume.
>>
>> Chris Wilson (5):
>> drm/i915: Silence sparse over duplicate members in static initializer
>
> * upstream commit 2d3fa0de689e1a53fdfc3db50732b62e58d0ca6b
>
>> drm/i915: Use 128k alignment for untiled display surface on i965 (v2)
>
> * upstream commit 534843dabf79da40561148764916e1b2e6bbcebe
>
>> drm/i915: Include a generation number in the device info
>
> * upstream commit c96c3a8cb7fadcb33d9a5ebe35fcee8b7d0a7946
>
>> drm/i915: Fix Sandybridge fence registers
>
> * upstream commit e259befd9013e212648c3bd4f6f1fbf92d0dd51d, CC'd to
> stable
>
>> drm/i915/suspend: s/IS_IRONLAKE/HAS_PCH_SPLIT/
>
> * upstream commit 90eb77baaea35c591bd324b31e9eac032bd603c9
>
>> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c | 61 +++++++++-----------
>> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h | 31 +++-------
>> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c | 37 ++++++++----
>> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_suspend.c | 106 ++++++++++++++++++++--------------
>> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c | 7 ++-
>> 5 files changed, 130 insertions(+), 112 deletions(-)
>
> The 5 patches are officially upstream, one of which is already CC'd to
> stable. The patches have been fully tested and confirmed to resolve the
> resume issue. They look reasonable for the most part, but I'd give this
> a medium risk of regression as they do touch a commonly used i915
> driver. It's also my understanding that the resume from suspend issue
> fixed by these patches is a regression which was introduced when we
> applied a patch [1] for bug 602281. It'd be good to let these bake in
> -proposed for a bit.
>
> Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara<leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>
>
> Thanks,
> Leann
>
> [1] commit 9a850554ee3f48334574a17d08d584c0d23ebcad
> Author: Jesse Barnes<jbarnes@virtuousgeek.org>
> Date: Fri Aug 13 15:11:26 2010 -0700
>
> drm/i915: fix VGA plane disable for Ironlake+
>
> BugLink: http://launchpad.net/bugs/602281

I agree completely with the concern these patches touch a very common
driver and the codepath is used by all models of the related hw.

Acked-by: Brad Figg <brad.figg@canonical.com>

--
Brad Figg brad.figg@canonical.com http://www.canonical.com

Old 10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Stefan Bader

On 10/19/2010 09:03 PM, Colin King wrote:
> From: Colin Ian King <colin.king@canonical.com>
>
> BugLink: http://launchpad.net/bugs/663442
>
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact: Resuming from S3 on Sandybridge laptops results in a blank display
> and no video.
>
> Fix: Attached 5 patches restore fence registers correctly, align the display
> surface so to avoid tiling corruption and correctly check for sandybrige
> chipset in resume path.
>
> Testcase: Without the patches, resume from S3 results in a blank display with
> no video being displayed. With the patches, S3 can be run multiple times and
> video is restored correctly on each resume.
>
> Chris Wilson (5):
> drm/i915: Silence sparse over duplicate members in static initializer
> drm/i915: Use 128k alignment for untiled display surface on i965 (v2)
> drm/i915: Include a generation number in the device info
> drm/i915: Fix Sandybridge fence registers
> drm/i915/suspend: s/IS_IRONLAKE/HAS_PCH_SPLIT/
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c | 61 +++++++++-----------
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h | 31 +++-------
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c | 37 ++++++++----
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_suspend.c | 106 ++++++++++++++++++++--------------
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c | 7 ++-

Only #2 and #4 seem to actively change something on a quick glance, though #3
surely is required for #4. #5 at first seems to be only a rename but as the new
define is not introduced here it could cover a different set of hw. So while
mostly looking safe there could be hidden effects. So agree to need to have a
close look on any i915 things being raised.

Acked-by: Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@canonical.com>

Old 10-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Brad Figg

On 10/19/2010 12:03 PM, Colin King wrote:
> From: Colin Ian King<colin.king@canonical.com>
>
> BugLink: http://launchpad.net/bugs/663442
>
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact: Resuming from S3 on Sandybridge laptops results in a blank display
> and no video.
>
> Fix: Attached 5 patches restore fence registers correctly, align the display
> surface so to avoid tiling corruption and correctly check for sandybrige
> chipset in resume path.
>
> Testcase: Without the patches, resume from S3 results in a blank display with
> no video being displayed. With the patches, S3 can be run multiple times and
> video is restored correctly on each resume.
>
> Chris Wilson (5):
> drm/i915: Silence sparse over duplicate members in static initializer
> drm/i915: Use 128k alignment for untiled display surface on i965 (v2)
> drm/i915: Include a generation number in the device info
> drm/i915: Fix Sandybridge fence registers
> drm/i915/suspend: s/IS_IRONLAKE/HAS_PCH_SPLIT/
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c | 61 +++++++++-----------
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h | 31 +++-------
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c | 37 ++++++++----
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_suspend.c | 106 ++++++++++++++++++++--------------
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c | 7 ++-

Applied to Maverick master.

--
Brad Figg brad.figg@canonical.com http://www.canonical.com