-   -   SRU: Update to DRM33.11 stable kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/441684-sru-update-drm33-11-stable-kernel.html)

Stefan Bader 10-19-2010 02:45 PM

SRU: Update to DRM33.11 stable kernel

SRU Justification

Impact: The upstream process for stable tree updates is quite similar in scope
to the Ubuntu SRU process, e.g., each patch has to demonstrably fix a bug, and
each patch is vetted by upstream by originating either directly from Linus' tree
or in a minimally backported form of that patch.
Lucid was released with the DRM subsystem updated to the 2.6.33 level because
2.6.32 was too unstable there. Until 2.6.33 went out of upstream support, we
picked the patches for DRM from this tree. After that we now keep an upstream
tree that continues that effort and selectively picks changes from more recent
stable kernels or upstream patches that been passing SRU criteria and review.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/smb/linux-2.6.32.y-drm33.z.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/v2.6.32.24.11

TEST CASE: TBD

==========

The following 12 patches have been in 2.6.32.24.11:
* i915: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails
* i915_gem: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails
* drm/i915: Prevent double dpms on
* drm: Only decouple the old_fb from the crtc is we call mode_set*
* drm/radeon/kms: fix potential segfault in r600_ioctl_wait_idle
* drm/i915: Unset cursor if out-of-bounds upon mode change (v4)
* drm/i915: disable FBC when more than one pipe is active
* drm/radeon/kms: fix macbookpro connector quirk
* drm/nouveau: use ALIGN instead of open coding it
* drm/nouveau: Fix fbcon corruption with font width not divisible by 8
* drm/i915,agp/intel: Add second set of PCI-IDs for B43
* Linux 2.6.32.24+drm33.11

The following patch was reverted and replaced by the upstream version:
* drm/nouveau: Fix fbcon corruption with font width not divisible by 8 (WARNING!)

Note that the upstream nouveau patch is different from what we had. Probably the
upstream version is better as it only uses ALIGN where the code had been doing
alignment calculation. The patch we had added an ALIGN somewhere not aligned
before. Chris, can you have a quick look to make sure my feeling is not wrong
here? Thanks.

The following changes since commit 091bf32f520af026c255cc138148122e71db61b9:
Colin Ian King (1):
(pre-stable) ACPI: enable repeated PCIEXP wakeup by clearing
PCIEXP_WAKE_STS on resume

are available in the git repository at:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/smb/ubuntu-lucid.git drm-next

Alex Deucher (2):
drm/radeon/kms: fix potential segfault in r600_ioctl_wait_idle
drm/radeon/kms: fix macbookpro connector quirk

Chris Wilson (4):
drm/i915: Prevent double dpms on
drm: Only decouple the old_fb from the crtc is we call mode_set*
drm/i915: Unset cursor if out-of-bounds upon mode change (v4)
drm/i915,agp/intel: Add second set of PCI-IDs for B43

Dan Carpenter (2):
i915: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails
i915_gem: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails

Jesse Barnes (1):
drm/i915: disable FBC when more than one pipe is active

Marcin Kościelnicki (1):
drm/nouveau: Fix fbcon corruption with font width not divisible by 8

Matt Turner (1):
drm/nouveau: use ALIGN instead of open coding it

Stefan Bader (2):
Revert "drm/nouveau: Fix fbcon corruption with font width not divisible
by 8"
Linux 2.6.32.24+drm33.11

Makefile | 2 +-
drivers/char/agp/intel-agp.c | 7 ++
drivers/gpu/drm/drm_crtc_helper.c | 4 +-
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_dma.c | 12 ++-
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c | 1 +
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h | 3 +-
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c | 1 +
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c | 164 ++++++++++++++++++++----------
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_drv.h | 8 +-
drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nv50_fbcon.c | 2 +-
drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nv50_instmem.c | 2 +-
drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/r600.c | 3 +-
drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_atombios.c | 2 +

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=smb/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/drm-next

Leann Ogasawara 10-20-2010 07:16 PM

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 16:45 +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/663176
>
> SRU Justification
>
> Impact: The upstream process for stable tree updates is quite similar in scope
> to the Ubuntu SRU process, e.g., each patch has to demonstrably fix a bug, and
> each patch is vetted by upstream by originating either directly from Linus' tree
> or in a minimally backported form of that patch.
> Lucid was released with the DRM subsystem updated to the 2.6.33 level because
> 2.6.32 was too unstable there. Until 2.6.33 went out of upstream support, we
> picked the patches for DRM from this tree. After that we now keep an upstream
> tree that continues that effort and selectively picks changes from more recent
> stable kernels or upstream patches that been passing SRU criteria and review.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/smb/linux-2.6.32.y-drm33.z.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/v2.6.32.24.11
>
> TEST CASE: TBD
>
> ==========
>
> The following 12 patches have been in 2.6.32.24.11:
> * i915: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails
> * i915_gem: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails
> * drm/i915: Prevent double dpms on
> * drm: Only decouple the old_fb from the crtc is we call mode_set*
> * drm/radeon/kms: fix potential segfault in r600_ioctl_wait_idle
> * drm/i915: Unset cursor if out-of-bounds upon mode change (v4)

This is the only patch that is a bit larger in nature and not as
straightforward as the others. However testing in the bug (LP: 586325)
confirms positive test results.

> * drm/i915: disable FBC when more than one pipe is active
> * drm/radeon/kms: fix macbookpro connector quirk
> * drm/nouveau: use ALIGN instead of open coding it
> * drm/nouveau: Fix fbcon corruption with font width not divisible by 8
> * drm/i915,agp/intel: Add second set of PCI-IDs for B43
> * Linux 2.6.32.24+drm33.11

Overall, the patches look reasonable.

Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara <leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>

Brad Figg 10-21-2010 01:43 PM

On 10/19/2010 07:45 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:

> [...]
>
> Matt Turner (1):
> drm/nouveau: use ALIGN instead of open coding it
>
> Stefan Bader (2):
> Revert "drm/nouveau: Fix fbcon corruption with font width not divisible
> by 8"
> Linux 2.6.32.24+drm33.11
>
> Makefile | 2 +-
> drivers/char/agp/intel-agp.c | 7 ++
> drivers/gpu/drm/drm_crtc_helper.c | 4 +-
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_dma.c | 12 ++-
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c | 1 +
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h | 3 +-
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c | 1 +
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c | 164 ++++++++++++++++++++----------
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_drv.h | 8 +-
> drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nv50_fbcon.c | 2 +-
> drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nv50_instmem.c | 2 +-
> drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/r600.c | 3 +-
> drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_atombios.c | 2 +

Look ok to me.

Acked-by: Brad Figg <brad.figg@canonical.com>

--
Brad Figg brad.figg@canonical.com http://www.canonical.com

"chalserogers@gmail.com" 10-24-2010 03:06 AM

SRU: Update to DRM33.11 stable kernel

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Stefan Bader
<stefan.bader@canonical.com> wrote:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/663176
>
> SRU Justification
>
> Impact: The upstream process for stable tree updates is quite similar in scope
> to the Ubuntu SRU process, e.g., each patch has to demonstrably fix a bug, and
> each patch is vetted by upstream by originating either directly from Linus' tree
> or in a minimally backported form of that patch.
> Lucid was released with the DRM subsystem updated to the 2.6.33 level because
> 2.6.32 was too unstable there. Until 2.6.33 went out of upstream support, we
> picked the patches for DRM from this tree. After that we now keep an upstream
> tree that continues that effort and selectively picks changes from more recent
> stable kernels or upstream patches that been passing SRU criteria and review.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/smb/linux-2.6.32.y-drm33.z.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/v2.6.32.24.11
>
> TEST CASE: TBD
>
> ==========
>
> The following 12 patches have been in 2.6.32.24.11:
> * i915: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails
> * i915_gem: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails
> * drm/i915: Prevent double dpms on
> * drm: Only decouple the old_fb from the crtc is we call mode_set*
> * drm/radeon/kms: fix potential segfault in r600_ioctl_wait_idle
> * drm/i915: Unset cursor if out-of-bounds upon mode change (v4)
> * drm/i915: disable FBC when more than one pipe is active
> * drm/radeon/kms: fix macbookpro connector quirk
> * drm/nouveau: use ALIGN instead of open coding it
> * drm/nouveau: Fix fbcon corruption with font width not divisible by 8
> * drm/i915,agp/intel: Add second set of PCI-IDs for B43
> * Linux 2.6.32.24+drm33.11
>

> The following patch was reverted and replaced by the upstream version:
> * drm/nouveau: Fix fbcon corruption with font width not divisible by 8 (WARNING!)
>
> Note that the upstream nouveau patch is different from what we had. Probably the
> upstream version is better as it only uses ALIGN where the code had been doing
> alignment calculation. The patch we had added an ALIGN somewhere not aligned
> before. Chris, can you have a quick look to make sure my feeling is not wrong
> here? Thanks.

As far as I can tell, the upstream patch leaves the tree in the same
state as the patch we currently have applied - the difference appears
to be in the state *before* the patch is applied, not after. As such,
it seems plenty safe to me - am I reading the commits properly?
(3c6c5a34 in the new tree, d8655589 in the old).