-   -   linux-lts-backport-maverick (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/437867-linux-lts-backport-maverick.html)

Tim Gardner 10-10-2010 11:22 AM

On 10/08/2010 06:59 PM, Ted To wrote:
> This metapackage currently requires the installation of the pae kernel
> image. Is this its intended behavior? Shouldn't there be a
> linux-pae-lts-backport-maverick metapackage instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Ted To

Traditionally there has been a 'generic' kernel meta package that
implies the correct default kernel for the particular architecture. In
some cases there are 2 layers of indirection, which I think is a bit
excessive. I'm in the middle of finalizing the meta package names for
the LTS backport packages and am considering making them all obvious and
with only one level of indirection. I'll be announcing this stuff later
in the week.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Ted To 10-10-2010 08:26 PM

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com> wrote:

> Traditionally there has been a 'generic' kernel meta package that implies
> the correct default kernel for the particular architecture. In some cases
> there are 2 layers of indirection, which I think is a bit excessive. I'm in
> the middle of finalizing the meta package names for the LTS backport
> packages and am considering making them all obvious and with only one level
> of indirection. I'll be announcing this stuff later in the week.
>
> rtg
> --
> Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Awesome!

In the meantime, would it be possible to re-enable the kernel ppa?
Sadly, the full kernel appears to be necessary for the ath5k module to
work on my Aspire One. There are backported wireless modules for
2.6.34 and 2.6.35 but for whatever reason, they are unstable. And
unfortunately, the current (10.10) version of Lubuntu seems a little
buggy.