Old 10-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Next2B

Default New firewire stack not working reliably for TI TSB82AA2 PCIE adapter

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 07:34:11AM -0600, Eric Shattow Eprecocious wrote:
My laptop contains a built in Ricoh R5C832 rev05 firewire controller,
and also I have a PCI Express card "StarTech EC1394B2" with Texas
Instruments TSB82AA2 rev01 chipset. Both controllers are tested okay
working on an Ubuntu LiveCD environment (kernel 2.6.28-4-generic) and
the old firewire stack.

Now that I'm trying out Ubuntu 10.10 release and the kernel
2.6.35-22-generic, I find that sometimes data corruption happens with
the TI adapter.

Everything looks good when I try "dd if=/dev/zero bs=4k of=/dev/sdN
count=15". When there is a problem, then trying "dd if=/dev/zero bs=4k
of=/dev/sdN count=16" will fail.

I have tried capturing dmesg output but the errors are too many and I
don't get a full capture of the output.

What to do?

burn it

Old 10-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Lee Jones

On 08/10/10 14:34, Eric Shattow "Eprecocious" wrote:
> My laptop contains a built in Ricoh R5C832 rev05 firewire controller,
> and also I have a PCI Express card "StarTech EC1394B2" with Texas
> Instruments TSB82AA2 rev01 chipset. Both controllers are tested okay
> working on an Ubuntu LiveCD environment (kernel 2.6.28-4-generic) and
> the old firewire stack.
>
> Now that I'm trying out Ubuntu 10.10 release and the kernel
> 2.6.35-22-generic, I find that sometimes data corruption happens with
> the TI adapter.
>
> Everything looks good when I try "dd if=/dev/zero bs=4k of=/dev/sdN
> count=15". When there is a problem, then trying "dd if=/dev/zero bs=4k
> of=/dev/sdN count=16" will fail.
>
> I have tried capturing dmesg output but the errors are too many and I
> don't get a full capture of the output.
>
> What to do?

File a bug and attach as much (useful) information as you can to it.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs

Old 10-08-2010, 03:03 PM

How often to do you see data corruption?

Can you please open a bug using the following command ?

$ ubuntu-bug linux

That will collect all the logs and fire up a web browser to launchpad, and
you can add additional information there. Once you have that bug open
please reply your bug number, and that will help us take a look at your
problem.

Cheers
--- manjo

Old 10-08-2010, 03:18 PM

> I have tried capturing dmesg output but the errors are too many and I
> don't get a full capture of the output.
>
> What to do?

As a work around you may want to blacklist the new modules and whitelist
the old ones. /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-firewire.conf, just reverse the
comments.

If reversing blacklist alone does not work you may have to rebuild your
initrd, after you reverse the blacklist.
$ sudo update-initramfs -k all -u

Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 PM
"Eric Shattow "Eprecocious""

Bug report is https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/657081

I have tried booting with old firewire stack on 2.6.35-22-generic and
it is working without errors. However it is working slowly.

sudo dd if=/dev/zero bs=4k of=/dev/sdb count=16k
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
67108864 bytes (67 MB) copied, 35.1751 s, 1.9 MB/s

If I boot the LiveCD environment I'm getting 22MB/s consistently on
that same connection.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 AM

I see a couple of patches that went out for the device, sometime this
weekend I will build a kernel with those patches for you to try, I will
post links to your bug. Lets see if that fixes the issue for you.

Cheers
--- manjo

Old 10-12-2010, 03:55 AM
"Eric Shattow "Eprecocious""

Please update https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/657081
when there is a kernel to test, and I will try it then.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Looks like the patches that went in upstream does not fix this issue, I am
not finding any other reports of firewire issues when switching firewire
interfaces. continuing to look at it.

------
manjo