Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Manoj Iyer

Default Maverick on Weybridge + WD2.5THDD

Harry/Bob,

I was able to install Maverick on the Weybridge with the 2.5T HDD shipped
to me from WD by Bob. Installed from CD in UEFI mode.

Disk /dev/sda1: 18 MB, 18874368 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

Disk /dev/sda2: 2494.4 GB, 2494448009216 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 303266 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Looks ok to me at first glance, if you guys notice anything abnormal
please share it with me.

Cheers
--- manjo

Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 PM
"Hsiung, Harry L"

I had done an installation on maverick meerkat daily build amd64.iso from 9/10/10 for IDF (sept 14th). I did not have any problems and could see all of the disk. The official Meerkat build (before sept 11th) appears to have UEFI install missing.

If you have any disk utilities to test the filesystem (all 2.5tb or 3tb) would like to know if the file system is really functional all they way out to the end of the disk.

Could do the brute force thing of copying files until I fill the disk up but it is really time consuming. Checking to see if the filesystem is corrupt is still a question in my mind (does fsck check this for disks and file systems >2.2 tb)?

Harry Hsiung (熊海霖)
Intel Corp.
SSG PSI Tiano/EFI TME
Dupont WA DP2-420
office 253-371-5381
cell 360-870-2141

Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 PM

Harry,

I started a stress test this afternoon and it is still going, the test
spawns 32768 threads, which is little over 1/2 max threads, and each
thread write/remove 1GB files (in a loop). Hopefully some of these threads
will write close to the end of the disk as well. The HDD is warm to the
touch, hopefully I wont fry the WD drive

Cheers
--- manjo

Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 PM
"Bob Griswold"

Hey, they don't fry.

Remember, SATA-class HDD running massive concurrent IO nonstop is not the
environment or market it's sold into. For that, you'd need a moderately
more expensive Enterprise-class SATA HDD. Please follow me to the display
case, in the back...

Bob

Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Colin Ian King

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 15:23 -0700, Hsiung, Harry L wrote:
> I had done an installation on maverick meerkat daily build amd64.iso
> from 9/10/10 for IDF (sept 14th). I did not have any problems and
> could see all of the disk. The official Meerkat build (before sept
> 11th) appears to have UEFI install missing.
>
> If you have any disk utilities to test the filesystem (all 2.5tb or
> 3tb) would like to know if the file system is really functional all
> they way out to the end of the disk.

I generally use bonnie++.

> Could do the brute force thing of copying files until I fill the disk
> up but it is really time consuming. Checking to see if the filesystem
> is corrupt is still a question in my mind (does fsck check this for
> disks and file systems >2.2 tb)?

Probably creating a partition that spans across the 2TB boundary and
soaking this is a good idea. Also, creating a partition that's a few GB
in size and sits at the end of the HDD and soak testing this is worth
while.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Colin Ian King

I'll put the HDD into a soak test at the raw device level next week to
exercise every sector. I reckon it will take ~30 hours to fill the
device, so I will run this for a week to get 2-3 write/read iterations
done.

Colin

Old 10-08-2010, 02:30 PM
"Bob Griswold"

Albert / Jeff:

Given that Colin, Manjo, Harry and potentially others on this list are
interested in exercising the entire reported LBA range under Ubuntu, can you
provide thoughts (when you get the chance) on tools we use in Windows for
that work that may help them reduce the time needed. I may be naïve from my
past experiences in doing full volume passes with RAID targets, but Colin's
predictions on the amount of time needed to pass 3x write/read test to a 2.5
TB HDD seems way too long on the SATA bus. iSCSI or CIFS, maybe, but 3.0 Gb
SATA should smoke that. Am I missing something?

Clearly, as you time(s) permit, I know you're busy.

Bob

Old 10-08-2010, 03:29 PM

I use the tool called stress http://goo.gl/uV23, my idea is that if I can
create enough threads and make them write/delete 1GB or more files
repeatedly it is possible that data will get written along the entire
length of the disk. I approx calculated that 32768 (thread max on my
machine is 31184) threads each read/write 1GB+ data might do the trick,
the whole test could take a few hours. I could modify the program to
report where in the disk the data is being written and verify that the
entire LBA range is exercised, but I have not got around to doing that. I
ran the tool as is last night, and it completed with out any failures.

Cheers
--- manjo

Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM
"Hsiung, Harry L"