Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Leann Ogasawara

Default SRU: Update to 2.6.35.5 stable kernel

SRU Justification

Impact:

The upstream process for stable tree updates is quite similar in scope
to the Ubuntu SRU process, e.g., each patch has to demonstrably fix a
bug, and each patch is vetted by upstream by originating either directly
from Linus' tree or in a minimally backported form of that patch. The
2.6.35.5 upstream stable patch set is now available. It should be
included in the Ubuntu kernel as well.

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.35.5
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.35.5.bz2

Test Case: TBD

A full preview of the patch set can be found at:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ogasawara/ubuntu-maverick.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/stable

I've also uploaded a test kernel to my kernel-ppa (builds pending):

https://launchpad.net/~leannogasawara/+archive/kernel-ppa

Additionally, the following patches were already incorporated as
security fixes and have been skipped:
* x86-64, compat: Test %rax for the syscall number, not %eax
* compat: Make compat_alloc_user_space() incorporate the access_ok()
* x86-64, compat: Retruncate rax after ia32 syscall entry tracing

The following patches were applied as pre-stable patches and have now
been replaced by the patch in 2.6.35.5:
* ALSA: hda - Add Sony VAIO quirk for ALC269
* ALSA: HDA: Use model=auto for LG R510
* ALSA: hda - Rename iMic to Int Mic on Lenovo NB076
* ALSA: hda - Handle missing NID 0x1b on ALC259 codec
* ALSA: hda - Handle pin NID 0x1a on ALC259/269
* ALSA: hda - Add a new hp-laptop model for Conexant 5066, tested on HP G60
* mmc: fix all hangs related to mmc/sd card insert/removal during suspend/resume
* mmc: build fix: mmc_pm_notify is only available with CONFIG_PM=y
* bounce: call flush_dcache_page() after bounce_copy_vec()
* Input: i8042 - reset keyboard controller wehen resuming from S2R
* ALSA: HDA: Enable internal speaker on Dell M101z
* drm/i915: don't enable self-refresh on Ironlake

The following patches are in the 2.6.35.5 stable release:

* Linux 2.6.35.5
* drm: Only decouple the old_fb from the crtc is we call mode_set*
* Revert "drm/i915: Allow LVDS on pipe A on gen4+"
* drm/i915: don't enable self-refresh on Ironlake
* drm/i915: Prevent double dpms on
* drm/i915: overlay on gen2 can't address above 1G
* drm/i915: Allocate the PCI resource for the MCHBAR
* drm/i915/dp: Really try 5 times before giving up.
* i915_gem: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails
* i915: return -EFAULT if copy_to_user fails
* drm/radeon/kms/evergreen: fix backend setup
* drm/radeon/kms/evergreen: fix gpu hangs in userspace accel code
* drm/radeon/kms: properly set crtc high base on r7xx
* drm/radeon/kms: force legacy pll algo for RV620 LVDS
* drm/radeon/kms: force legacy pll algo for RV515 LVDS
* drm/i915: Enable MI_FLUSH on Sandybridge
* drm/radeon/kms: fix a regression on r7xx AGP due to the HDP flush fix
* agp/intel: Promote warning about failure to setup flush to error.
* SUNRPC: Fix race corrupting rpc upcall
* NFS: Fix a typo in nfs_sockaddr_match_ipaddr6
* cifs: fix potential double put of TCP session reference
* apm_power: Add missing break statement
* hwmon: (f75375s) Do not overwrite values read from registers
* hwmon: (f75375s) Shift control mode to the correct bit position
* hwmon: (emc1403) Remove unnecessary hwmon_device_unregister
* arm: fix really nasty sigreturn bug
* x86: hpet: Work around hardware stupidity
* ALSA: HDA: Enable internal speaker on Dell M101z
* x86-64, compat: Retruncate rax after ia32 syscall entry tracing
* compat: Make compat_alloc_user_space() incorporate the access_ok()
* x86-64, compat: Test %rax for the syscall number, not %eax
* x86, tsc: Fix a preemption leak in restore_sched_clock_state()
* RDMA/cxgb3: Don't exceed the max HW CQ depth
* wireless extensions: fix kernel heap content leak
* ath5k: check return value of ieee80211_get_tx_rate
* p54: fix tx feedback status flag check
* powerpc/perf_event: Reduce latency of calling perf_event_do_pending
* perf: Initialize callchains roots's childen hits
* memory hotplug: fix next block calculation in is_removable
* Input: i8042 - reset keyboard controller wehen resuming from S2R
* Input: i8042 - fix device removal on unload
* binfmt_misc: fix binfmt_misc priority
* kernel/groups.c: fix integer overflow in groups_search
* mm: compaction: handle active and inactive fairly in too_many_isolated
* bounce: call flush_dcache_page() after bounce_copy_vec()
* minix: fix regression in minix_mkdir()
* statfs() gives ESTALE error
* mmc: build fix: mmc_pm_notify is only available with CONFIG_PM=y
* mmc: fix all hangs related to mmc/sd card insert/removal during suspend/resume
* mmc: fix the use of kunmap_atomic() in tmio_mmc.h
* tmio_mmc: don't clear unhandled pending interrupts
* gcov: fix null-pointer dereference for certain module types
* hp_accel: add quirks for HP ProBook 532x and HP Mini 5102
* irda: off by one
* tracing: t_start: reset FTRACE_ITER_HASH in case of seek/pread
* tracing: Do not allow llseek to set_ftrace_filter
* tracing: Fix a race in function profile
* O_DIRECT: fix the splitting up of contiguous I/O
* ahci: fix hang on failed softreset
* libata,pata_via: revert ata_wait_idle() removal from ata_sff/via_tf_load()
* libata: skip EH autopsy and recovery during suspend
* HID: Set Report ID properly for Output reports on the Control endpoint.
* oprofile, x86: fix init_sysfs() function stub
* oprofile, x86: fix init_sysfs error handling
* oprofile: fix crash when accessing freed task structs
* sysfs: checking for NULL instead of ERR_PTR
* swap: do not send discards as barriers
* swap: discard while swapping only if SWAP_FLAG_DISCARD
* swap: prevent reuse during hibernation
* ALSA: hda - patch_nvhdmi.c: Add missing codec IDs, unify names
* ALSA: usb-audio: Assume first control interface is for audio
* ALSA: hda - Fix wrong HP pin detection in snd_hda_parse_pin_def_config()
* ALSA: hda - Add errata initverb sequence for CS42xx codecs
* ALSA: hda - Add quirk for Lenovo T400s
* ALSA: usb - Release capture substream URBs properly
* ALSA: seq/oss - Fix double-free at error path of snd_seq_oss_open()
* ALSA: virtuoso: fix setting of Xonar DS line-in/mic-in controls
* ALSA: virtuoso: work around missing reset in the Xonar DS Windows driver
* ALSA: usb-audio: fix detection of vendor-specific device protocol settings
* ALSA: hda - Add a new hp-laptop model for Conexant 5066, tested on HP G60
* USB: cdc-acm: Fixing crash when ACM probing interfaces with no endpoint descriptors.
* USB: cdc-acm: Add pseudo modem without AT command capabilities
* USB: cdc-acm: Adding second ACM channel support for various Nokia and one Samsung phones
* USB: cxacru: Use a bulk/int URB to access the command endpoint
* ima: always maintain counters
* usb: serial: mos7840: Add USB IDs to support more B&B USB/RS485 converters.
* usb: serial: mos7840: Add USB ID to support the B&B Electronics USOPTL4-2P.
* USB: ftdi_sio: Added custom PIDs for ChamSys products
* usb: allow drivers to use allocated bandwidth until unbound
* USB: cp210x: Add B&G H3000 link cable ID
* USB: CP210x Add new device ID
* USB: Fix kernel oops with g_ether and Windows
* USB: ehci-ppc-of: problems in unwind
* serial: bfin_sport_uart: restore transmit frame sync fix
* ocfs2: Fix incorrect checksum validation error
* ath9k_hw: fix parsing of HT40 5 GHz CTLs
* ath9k_hw: Fix EEPROM uncompress block reading on AR9003
* ath9k_htc: Fix disconnect issue in HT40 mode.
* mac80211: delete work timer
* fuse: flush background queue on connection close
* staging: hv: Fixed lockup problem with bounce_buffer scatter list
* staging: hv: Increased storvsc ringbuffer and max_io_requests
* staging: hv: Fixed the value of the 64bit-hole inside ring buffer
* staging: hv: Fixed bounce kmap problem by using correct index
* staging: hv: Fix missing functions for net_device_ops
* Staging: rt2870sta: Add more device IDs from vendor drivers
* ALSA: hda - Handle pin NID 0x1a on ALC259/269
* ALSA: hda - Handle missing NID 0x1b on ALC259 codec
* Revert "Input: appletouch - fix integer overflow issue"
* xfs: move aio completion after unwritten extent conversion
* ext4: move aio completion after unwritten extent conversion
* direct-io: move aio_complete into ->end_io
* PCI: MSI: Restore read_msi_msg_desc(); add get_cached_msi_msg_desc()
* PCI: MSI: Remove unsafe and unnecessary hardware access
* netfilter: fix CONFIG_COMPAT support
* perf, x86, Pentium4: Clear the P4_CCCR_FORCE_OVF flag
* x86, tsc, sched: Recompute cyc2ns_offset's during resume from sleep states
* writeback: write_cache_pages doesn't terminate at nr_to_write <= 0
* pata_cmd64x: revert commit d62f5576
* sata_mv: fix broken DSM/TRIM support (v2)
* libata-sff: remove harmful BUG_ON from ata_bmdma_qc_issue
* ALSA: hda - Rename iMic to Int Mic on Lenovo NB0763
* ALSA: HDA: Use model=auto for LG R510
* ALSA: hda - Add Sony VAIO quirk for ALC269
* xfs: ensure we mark all inodes in a freed cluster XFS_ISTALE
* xfs: fix untrusted inode number lookup
* xen: use percpu interrupts for IPIs and VIRQs
* xen: handle events as edge-triggered
* hwmon: (k8temp) Differentiate between AM2 and ASB1
* hwmon: (ads7871) Fix ads7871_probe error paths

Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Stefan Bader

On 09/23/2010 01:08 AM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> [...]
> * PCI: MSI: Remove unsafe and unnecessary hardware access
> * netfilter: fix CONFIG_COMPAT support
> * perf, x86, Pentium4: Clear the P4_CCCR_FORCE_OVF flag
> * x86, tsc, sched: Recompute cyc2ns_offset's during resume from sleep states
> * writeback: write_cache_pages doesn't terminate at nr_to_write <= 0
> * pata_cmd64x: revert commit d62f5576
> * sata_mv: fix broken DSM/TRIM support (v2)
> * libata-sff: remove harmful BUG_ON from ata_bmdma_qc_issue
> * ALSA: hda - Rename iMic to Int Mic on Lenovo NB0763
> * ALSA: HDA: Use model=auto for LG R510
> * ALSA: hda - Add Sony VAIO quirk for ALC269
> * xfs: ensure we mark all inodes in a freed cluster XFS_ISTALE
> * xfs: fix untrusted inode number lookup
> * xen: use percpu interrupts for IPIs and VIRQs
> * xen: handle events as edge-triggered
> * hwmon: (k8temp) Differentiate between AM2 and ASB1
> * hwmon: (ads7871) Fix ads7871_probe error paths

As far as I can see there was no exceptionally scary parts. The hpet change
could have quite some impact (hopefully to the better) on suspend resume and
there was another one touching the sleep states. ACK