Old 09-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Ricardo Salveti de Araujo

Default SRU: Fixing display for IGEPv2

SRU Justification:

Impact: When booting current omap 3 kernel at an IGEPv2 board the omapdss
subsystem will look for two different regulators, one is "vdda_dac" and the
other is "vdds_sdi". When a regulator is not found the initialisation sequence
is aborted, resulting in omapfb not finding a display to work with.

Fix: The problem is fixed by adding both regulators at the machine description
file, simlilar to what we have for omap3evm, beagleboard and pandaboard. The
first patch was submited upstream already, but it's still not applied. The
second patch follows the same fix created for omap3evm (c97113) for bug 630885
and needs to be tested with upstream before sending it.

Testcase: When booting an IGEPv2 without both patches the screen will fail to
initialize, giving the following errors:
[ 0.735382] omapdss VENC error: can't get VDDA_DAC regulator
[ 0.741363] omapdss CORE error: Failed to initialize venc
[ 1.473388] omapfb omapfb: no displays
[ 1.477203] omapfb omapfb: failed to setup omapfb
[ 1.481994] omapfb: probe of omapfb failed with error -22

BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/607250

The following changes since commit 1a241a7d7b0d1bc6e261d0235d1629ce1ede4b3b:

ALSA: seq/oss - Fix double-free at error path of snd_seq_oss_open() (2010-09-20 16:33:14 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rsalveti/ubuntu-maverick.git fix-igepv2-display

Maurus Cuelenaere (1):
ARM: OMAP3: Add S-Video output to IGEPv2 board

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo (1):
ARM: OMAP3: Adding vdd_sdi regulator supply to IGEPv2 board

arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-igep0020.c | 42 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----

Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 17:22 -0300, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo wrote:
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact: When booting current omap 3 kernel at an IGEPv2 board the omapdss
> subsystem will look for two different regulators, one is "vdda_dac" and the
> other is "vdds_sdi". When a regulator is not found the initialisation sequence
> is aborted, resulting in omapfb not finding a display to work with.
>
> Fix: The problem is fixed by adding both regulators at the machine description
> file, simlilar to what we have for omap3evm, beagleboard and pandaboard. The
> first patch was submited upstream already, but it's still not applied. The
> second patch follows the same fix created for omap3evm (c97113) for bug 630885
> and needs to be tested with upstream before sending it.
>
> Testcase: When booting an IGEPv2 without both patches the screen will fail to
> initialize, giving the following errors:
> [ 0.735382] omapdss VENC error: can't get VDDA_DAC regulator
> [ 0.741363] omapdss CORE error: Failed to initialize venc
> [ 1.473388] omapfb omapfb: no displays
> [ 1.477203] omapfb omapfb: failed to setup omapfb
> [ 1.481994] omapfb: probe of omapfb failed with error -22

Hi Ricardo,

If you can, please also add add the above SRU Justification to the bug
description in the bug report for 607250. (additional comments below)

> BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/607250
>
> The following changes since commit 1a241a7d7b0d1bc6e261d0235d1629ce1ede4b3b:
>
> ALSA: seq/oss - Fix double-free at error path of snd_seq_oss_open() (2010-09-20 16:33:14 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rsalveti/ubuntu-maverick.git fix-igepv2-display
>
> Maurus Cuelenaere (1):
> ARM: OMAP3: Add S-Video output to IGEPv2 board
>
> Ricardo Salveti de Araujo (1):
> ARM: OMAP3: Adding vdd_sdi regulator supply to IGEPv2 board
>
> arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-igep0020.c | 42 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----

The patches look reasonable enough. They're self contained and look to
be a low risk of regression. Just curious what the upstream status is
for these? For now, they should probaby be prefaced with "UBUNTU:
SAUCE:" as noted in the StablePatchFormat guide [1].

Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara <leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>

This still needs one more Ack by an Ubuntu kernel dev before it can be
applied to the master repo.

Thanks,
Leann

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/StablePatchFormat

Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Amit Kucheria

On 10 Oct 06, Mathieu Poirier wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 08:39 -0700, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 17:22 -0300, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo wrote:
> > > SRU Justification:
> > >
> > > Impact: When booting current omap 3 kernel at an IGEPv2 board the omapdss
> > > subsystem will look for two different regulators, one is "vdda_dac" and the
> > > other is "vdds_sdi". When a regulator is not found the initialisation sequence
> > > is aborted, resulting in omapfb not finding a display to work with.
> > >
> > > Fix: The problem is fixed by adding both regulators at the machine description
> > > file, simlilar to what we have for omap3evm, beagleboard and pandaboard. The
> > > first patch was submited upstream already, but it's still not applied. The
> > > second patch follows the same fix created for omap3evm (c97113) for bug 630885
> > > and needs to be tested with upstream before sending it.
> > >
> > > Testcase: When booting an IGEPv2 without both patches the screen will fail to
> > > initialize, giving the following errors:
> > > [ 0.735382] omapdss VENC error: can't get VDDA_DAC regulator
> > > [ 0.741363] omapdss CORE error: Failed to initialize venc
> > > [ 1.473388] omapfb omapfb: no displays
> > > [ 1.477203] omapfb omapfb: failed to setup omapfb
> > > [ 1.481994] omapfb: probe of omapfb failed with error -22
> >
> > Hi Ricardo,
> >
> > If you can, please also add add the above SRU Justification to the bug
> > description in the bug report for 607250. (additional comments below)
> >
> > > BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/607250
> > >
> > > The following changes since commit 1a241a7d7b0d1bc6e261d0235d1629ce1ede4b3b:
> > >
> > > ALSA: seq/oss - Fix double-free at error path of snd_seq_oss_open() (2010-09-20 16:33:14 -0700)
> > >
> > > are available in the git repository at:
> > > git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rsalveti/ubuntu-maverick.git fix-igepv2-display
> > >
> > > Maurus Cuelenaere (1):
> > > ARM: OMAP3: Add S-Video output to IGEPv2 board
> > >
> > > Ricardo Salveti de Araujo (1):
> > > ARM: OMAP3: Adding vdd_sdi regulator supply to IGEPv2 board
> > >
> > > arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-igep0020.c | 42 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
> > > 1 files changed, 35 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)
> >
> > The patches look reasonable enough. They're self contained and look to
> > be a low risk of regression. Just curious what the upstream status is
> > for these? For now, they should probaby be prefaced with "UBUNTU:
> > SAUCE:" as noted in the StablePatchFormat guide [1].
> >
> > Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara <leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>
> >
> > This still needs one more Ack by an Ubuntu kernel dev before it can be
> > applied to the master repo.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Leann
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/StablePatchFormat
> >

> Amit,
>
> We need another ACK - please consider when you have a minute.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mathieu.

Patch seems reasonable. Is it already upstream?

Acked-by: Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@canonical.com>

Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Mathieu Poirier

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 22:37 +0300, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> On 10 Oct 06, Mathieu Poirier wrote:

> > > Hi Ricardo,
> > >
> > > If you can, please also add add the above SRU Justification to the bug
> > > description in the bug report for 607250. (additional comments below)

> > > The patches look reasonable enough. They're self contained and look to
> > > be a low risk of regression. Just curious what the upstream status is
> > > for these? For now, they should probaby be prefaced with "UBUNTU:
> > > SAUCE:" as noted in the StablePatchFormat guide [1].
> > >
> > > Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara <leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>
> > >
> > > This still needs one more Ack by an Ubuntu kernel dev before it can be
> > > applied to the master repo.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Leann
> > >
> > > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/StablePatchFormat
> > >

> > Amit,
> >
> > We need another ACK - please consider when you have a minute.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Mathieu.
>

> Patch seems reasonable. Is it already upstream?
>
> Acked-by: Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@canonical.com>

Amit,

I submitted the original patch for beagle here:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=127922493822037&w=2

I was going to send the EVM and Gumstix fix at the same time.

Thanks, Mathieu.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Leann Ogasawara

Applied to Maverick linux master.