Old 09-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Brian Rogers

Default Null pointer dereference fix for IR code

Please take a look at this bug report:

The commit 'UBUNTU: SAUCE: Update ir-core to linuxtv/other which should
be merged for 2.6.36' has introduced a regression from 2.6.36-rc1 into
Maverick's kernel. The effects of the bug are that LIRC crashes, the
kernel produces a NULL pointer dereference oops message, and the remote
for my tuner doesn't work.

I produced a patch to fix this and sent it upstream for inclusion in
2.6.36, see here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.input/13386/focus=15312

Can I get this patch into Maverick before the kernel freeze?

Brian

Old 09-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 17:57 -0700, Brian Rogers wrote:
> Please take a look at this bug report:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/624701
>
> The commit 'UBUNTU: SAUCE: Update ir-core to linuxtv/other which should
> be merged for 2.6.36' has introduced a regression from 2.6.36-rc1 into
> Maverick's kernel. The effects of the bug are that LIRC crashes, the
> kernel produces a NULL pointer dereference oops message, and the remote
> for my tuner doesn't work.
>
> I produced a patch to fix this and sent it upstream for inclusion in
> 2.6.36, see here:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.input/13386/focus=15312
>
> Can I get this patch into Maverick before the kernel freeze?

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the patch, looks sensible. It appears Jarod Wilson has also
Acked the patch [1]. Unfortunately, we've already uploaded our final
Maverick kernels and the entire archive officially freezes in an hour.
Should a last minute upload be required before Maverick officially
releases, this would likely get included. However, at the very least, I
think this does qualify for a Maverick kernel SRU (stable release
update) so I'm therefore providing my Ack for the SRU. I've also gone
ahead and updated the bug description to add the SRU justification.

Acked-by: Leann Ogasawara <leann.ogasawara@canonical.com>

Thanks,
Leann

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/182522/

Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Leann Ogasawara

We're needing to do a last minute kernel upload to resolve some release
critical bugs. I've gotten approval to also include this fix. Applied
to Maverick linux master.

Thanks,
Leann