-   -   kernel-maverick-upstart: pass entire command line to init (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/387130-kernel-maverick-upstart-pass-entire-command-line-init.html)

Tim Gardner 06-17-2010 01:11 PM

On 06/17/2010 03:46 AM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> As part of the blueprint kernel-maverick-upstart[1] we have been
> investigating passing all of the kernel command line to init. This allows
> upstart to know everything that was passed so that we can share options,
> for example quiet.
>
> Below are sample options list as dumped by an additional debugging patch.
> In each case the orginal boot line is the same. With the option disabled,
> ie. normal boot semantics:
>
> [ 0.000000] environ<BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-4-generic>
> [ 0.000000] argument<splash>
>
> With the option enabled:
>
> [ 0.000000] environ<BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-4-generic>
> [ 0.000000] environ<root=UUID=bb5209a0-aca5-49da-b99b-52eff65f986b>
> [ 0.000000] argument<ro>
> [ 0.000000] argument<quiet>
> [ 0.000000] argument<splash>
>
> Note that the semantics of init=foo<arg> <arg> ... are unchanged.
>
> The following patch set implements this for Maverick. Proposing for
> Maverick.
>
> -apw
>
> [1] http://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kernel-maverick-upstart
>
> Andy Whitcroft (2):
> UBUNTU: SAUCE: add option to hand off all kernel parameters to init
> UBUNTU: [Config] enable passing all kernel command line to init
>
> debian.master/config/config.common.ubuntu | 1 +
> include/linux/moduleparam.h | 2 +-
> init/Kconfig | 7 ++++++
> init/main.c | 33 ++++++++++++++++++++++------
> kernel/params.c | 20 ++++++++++++-----

So this is likely an option I want disabled for the backports to Lucid,
right?

There isn't a lot of information in the spec or your commit log about
the real reason for this patch, other then its more convenient for
upstart to have command line items pre-parsed. Is there a more
fundamental reason?

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Andy Whitcroft 06-22-2010 10:27 AM

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 07:11:38AM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 03:46 AM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> >As part of the blueprint kernel-maverick-upstart[1] we have been
> >investigating passing all of the kernel command line to init. This allows
> >upstart to know everything that was passed so that we can share options,
> >for example quiet.
> >
> >Below are sample options list as dumped by an additional debugging patch.
> >In each case the orginal boot line is the same. With the option disabled,
> >ie. normal boot semantics:
> >
> > [ 0.000000] environ<BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-4-generic>
> > [ 0.000000] argument<splash>
> >
> >With the option enabled:
> >
> > [ 0.000000] environ<BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-4-generic>
> > [ 0.000000] environ<root=UUID=bb5209a0-aca5-49da-b99b-52eff65f986b>
> > [ 0.000000] argument<ro>
> > [ 0.000000] argument<quiet>
> > [ 0.000000] argument<splash>
> >
> >Note that the semantics of init=foo<arg> <arg> ... are unchanged.
> >
> >The following patch set implements this for Maverick. Proposing for
> >Maverick.
> >
> >-apw
> >
> >[1] http://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kernel-maverick-upstart
> >
> >Andy Whitcroft (2):
> > UBUNTU: SAUCE: add option to hand off all kernel parameters to init
> > UBUNTU: [Config] enable passing all kernel command line to init
> >
> > debian.master/config/config.common.ubuntu | 1 +
> > include/linux/moduleparam.h | 2 +-
> > init/Kconfig | 7 ++++++
> > init/main.c | 33 ++++++++++++++++++++++------
> > kernel/params.c | 20 ++++++++++++-----
> > 5 files changed, 49 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)
> >

> So this is likely an option I want disabled for the backports to
> Lucid, right?
>
> There isn't a lot of information in the spec or your commit log
> about the real reason for this patch, other then its more convenient
> for upstart to have command line items pre-parsed. Is there a more
> fundamental reason?

As I understand it it allows upstart to respond to 'quiet' correctly and
earlier. I think there is a fundamental issue for upstart that to get
all the options (currently) it has to mount /proc and then read
/proc/cmdline. But you may want to have verbosity on for that section
but upstart cannot tell until its mounted it. Catch-22.

I am not 100% sure, but I suspect there would be no issue for older
upstart based systems should they have this enabled or not.

-apw