Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Bryan Wu

Default Pull ti-omap4 branch

Hiya,

During the past several weeks after UDS, I worked Sebastien from TI on omap4
kernel enablement for our Maverick. So here is the branch:
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/roc/ubuntu-maverick.git ti-ubuntu-2.6.34

(http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=roc/ubuntu-maverick.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ti-ubuntu-2.6.34)

This branch is based on TI integration release tree (2.6.34 based kernel). And
we borrowed Debian package stuff from Lucid ti-omap branch. I plan to sync with
Maverick Debian package stuff later.

TI will upgrade to 2.6.35 before our kernel freeze, so we will sync with them on
time.

Lee Jones and Sebastien helped tested the kernel on their hardware. Now it can
support both 2 hardware targets: Blaze and Panda.

Please help us to review this branch, after it is merged I will try to maintain
that.

Thanks a lot.
--
Bryan Wu <bryan.wu@canonical.com>
Kernel Developer +86.138-1617-6545 Mobile

Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Tim Gardner

On 06/17/2010 04:38 AM, Bryan Wu wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> During the past several weeks after UDS, I worked Sebastien from TI on omap4
> kernel enablement for our Maverick. So here is the branch:
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/roc/ubuntu-maverick.git ti-ubuntu-2.6.34
>
> (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=roc/ubuntu-maverick.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ti-ubuntu-2.6.34)
>
> This branch is based on TI integration release tree (2.6.34 based kernel). And
> we borrowed Debian package stuff from Lucid ti-omap branch. I plan to sync with
> Maverick Debian package stuff later.
>
> TI will upgrade to 2.6.35 before our kernel freeze, so we will sync with them on
> time.
>
> Lee Jones and Sebastien helped tested the kernel on their hardware. Now it can
> support both 2 hardware targets: Blaze and Panda.
>
> Please help us to review this branch, after it is merged I will try to maintain
> that.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Is the plan to try and integrate OMAP4 into the master branch when TI
releases their 2.6.35 kernel? If so, Sept 2 is the last possible date
that we'll consider attempting that integration as that gives us only 2
weeks before kernel freeze (Sept 16).

Otherwise we'll just have to carry OMAP4 as a Maverick topic branch.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Bryan Wu

On 06/17/2010 09:38 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 04:38 AM, Bryan Wu wrote:
>> Hiya,
>>
>> During the past several weeks after UDS, I worked Sebastien from TI on
>> omap4
>> kernel enablement for our Maverick. So here is the branch:
>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/roc/ubuntu-maverick.git ti-ubuntu-2.6.34
>>
>> (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=roc/ubuntu-maverick.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ti-ubuntu-2.6.34)
>>

>> This branch is based on TI integration release tree (2.6.34 based
>> kernel). And
>> we borrowed Debian package stuff from Lucid ti-omap branch. I plan to
>> sync with
>> Maverick Debian package stuff later.
>>
>> TI will upgrade to 2.6.35 before our kernel freeze, so we will sync
>> with them on
>> time.
>>
>> Lee Jones and Sebastien helped tested the kernel on their hardware.
>> Now it can
>> support both 2 hardware targets: Blaze and Panda.
>>
>> Please help us to review this branch, after it is merged I will try to
>> maintain
>> that.
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>
> Is the plan to try and integrate OMAP4 into the master branch when TI
> releases their 2.6.35 kernel? If so, Sept 2 is the last possible date
> that we'll consider attempting that integration as that gives us only 2
> weeks before kernel freeze (Sept 16).

Considering the patches in OMAP4 branch but missing the .35 merge window, I
believe it will impact our master branch a lot. I prefer that we will give up
OMAP4 branch in M+1 if all the OMAP4 patches are in mainline. Now we have OMAP3
in our master as a flavor, but in Lucid ti-omap is a separated branch.

> Otherwise we'll just have to carry OMAP4 as a Maverick topic branch.

Yeah, that's our plan now.

Sebastien, can you add any input? When will we get .35 based TI OMAP4 tree?

Thanks a lot,

Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Sebastien Jan

On 06/17/2010 03:45 PM, Bryan Wu wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 09:38 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:
[...]
>> Is the plan to try and integrate OMAP4 into the master branch when TI
>> releases their 2.6.35 kernel? If so, Sept 2 is the last possible date
>> that we'll consider attempting that integration as that gives us only 2
>> weeks before kernel freeze (Sept 16).
>>

> Considering the patches in OMAP4 branch but missing the .35 merge window, I
> believe it will impact our master branch a lot. I prefer that we will give up
> OMAP4 branch in M+1 if all the OMAP4 patches are in mainline. Now we have OMAP3
> in our master as a flavor, but in Lucid ti-omap is a separated branch.
>
>> Otherwise we'll just have to carry OMAP4 as a Maverick topic branch.
>>

> Yeah, that's our plan now.
>
> Sebastien, can you add any input? When will we get .35 based TI OMAP4 tree?

We are aligned: for Maverick, unfortunately OMAP4 support will have to be in a branch because of the pile of patches that is still on top of the mainline.

Regarding OMAP4 rebase on .35, it's too early for me to comment. We are committed to do it, so it shall be available a few days or short weeks after the .35, but difficult to be more precise by now.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Tim Gardner

On 06/17/2010 04:38 AM, Bryan Wu wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> During the past several weeks after UDS, I worked Sebastien from TI on omap4
> kernel enablement for our Maverick. So here is the branch:
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/roc/ubuntu-maverick.git ti-ubuntu-2.6.34
>
> (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=roc/ubuntu-maverick.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ti-ubuntu-2.6.34)
>
> This branch is based on TI integration release tree (2.6.34 based kernel). And
> we borrowed Debian package stuff from Lucid ti-omap branch. I plan to sync with
> Maverick Debian package stuff later.
>
> TI will upgrade to 2.6.35 before our kernel freeze, so we will sync with them on
> time.
>
> Lee Jones and Sebastien helped tested the kernel on their hardware. Now it can
> support both 2 hardware targets: Blaze and Panda.
>
> Please help us to review this branch, after it is merged I will try to maintain
> that.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Pulled, updated to use common debian packaging from
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-debian.git, packaged, and uploaded
linux-ti-omap4_2.6.34-900.1

Pushed to git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-maverick.git ti-omap4

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 06-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Amit Kucheria

On 10 Jun 17, Sebastien Jan wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 03:45 PM, Bryan Wu wrote:
> > On 06/17/2010 09:38 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:
> [...]
> >> Is the plan to try and integrate OMAP4 into the master branch when TI
> >> releases their 2.6.35 kernel? If so, Sept 2 is the last possible date
> >> that we'll consider attempting that integration as that gives us only 2
> >> weeks before kernel freeze (Sept 16).
> >>

> > Considering the patches in OMAP4 branch but missing the .35 merge window, I
> > believe it will impact our master branch a lot. I prefer that we will give up
> > OMAP4 branch in M+1 if all the OMAP4 patches are in mainline. Now we have OMAP3
> > in our master as a flavor, but in Lucid ti-omap is a separated branch.
> >
> >> Otherwise we'll just have to carry OMAP4 as a Maverick topic branch.
> >>

> > Yeah, that's our plan now.
> >
> > Sebastien, can you add any input? When will we get .35 based TI OMAP4 tree?
>
> We are aligned: for Maverick, unfortunately OMAP4 support will have to be in a branch because of the pile of patches that is still on top of the mainline.
>
> Regarding OMAP4 rebase on .35, it's too early for me to comment. We are committed to do it, so it shall be available a few days or short weeks after the .35, but difficult to be more precise by now.

(Looping in Nicolas)

Sebastien,

We should _not_ wait for 2.6.35 to be released to get the first patch drop
into Ubuntu.

2.6.35 is already at -rc3, so there is unlikely to be any core API changes in
the kernel. The patches going into the plat-omap and mach-omap will also be
down to a few bugfixes.

So, IMHO, TI should rebase on top of -rc3 or -rc4 and get this into Ubuntu.
There after, it will be a lot easier rebasing it to the point when 2.6.35 is
final.

Regards,
Amit