Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Jeremy Foshee

Default Kernel Triage Summit planning

This is an open call for those interested in either Kernel Bug Triage or
improving your kernel subsystem knowledge.

The Ubuntu Kernel Team decided during UDS-M that a Triage summit of
sorts would be a perfect way to help those interested in moving our
kernel bugs forward and, as a side effect, was a great way to do
an introduction and brief overview of key kernel subsystems such as
audio, KMS and graphics, etc.

If you are currently triaging kernel bugs on Launchpad, then this summit
is geared towards you! If you are interested in a basic understanding of
the steps needed to troubleshoot specific subsystem issues, then this is
for you as well. The goal here is to provide interested parties with a
way to improve their knowledge in a hands-on way while helping the
kernel team itself flesh out our wiki documentation and the Kernel bug
triage process as a whole.

This concept was brought about by a great idea Steve Conklin had during
UDS, so when you see him, thank him. :-)

The dates are not yet set, but I'd like to have this before the end of
the cycle, so if you are interested please send me some e-mail
introducing yourself and telling me what particular information you'd
like to see presented or just which subsystem you want to know more
about. This will help me determine the time requirements as well as get
the Subject Matter Experts lined up.

Once I have all the information gathered, we will select several
possible date/time options for the team and the SMEs to work with.
Ideally, I'd like to have this occur on one day, but your input back to
me will enable me to see what we will actually need. so please respond
to this with your interests!

I can't wait to get this started!

Thanks!

~JFo

Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 PM
vikash agrawal

Yes, I am interested. So please let me know when the dates get confirmed..

Old 06-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Bryce Harrington

As you can note from Jeremy's cc'ing, while kernel focused this will
also include X. So if you are a community member interested in learning
how to better sort out X bugs (e.g. KMS issues), this is for you!

Also note that this is a virtual summit, so no travel is necessary. JFo
wants to figure out what days of the week (or weekends) works best, and
what times of the days to schedule. Email him your general availability
and topic interests.

Thanks for posting the heads up about this Jeremy.

Bryce

Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Pete Graner

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 11:02 -0400, Jeremy Foshee wrote:
> This is an open call for those interested in either Kernel Bug Triage or
> improving your kernel subsystem knowledge.

You prob want to send items like this to ubuntu-devel list as well so we
get the widest possible coverage.

Thanks

~pete
--
Pete Graner <pgraner@canonical.com>
Manager

Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Gursimran singh

Seems to be a great idea, Jeremy. I like it and wanted to be a part. I always wanted to work on kernel related ie low level programming. I think this will be a great start for me. I had been working on microcontrollers quite a bit now ....

Currently i'm being mentored by sense about bug triaging, but I'm learning fast. Surely i will catch up..
Interested areas are drivers related stuff (touchpad maybe)..

Regards
Simar

Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 PM

idea/thought...

Jfo, I think a wiki page with a table of 'Topics' 'subject expert'
'triagers' or something of that nature will be helpful in managing this
event. Each subject expert can then add wiki links to the table. We can
expand this further with links to new kernel bugs etc. For example:

Topic subject expert triager useful links
suspend/resume| ManojIyer | joe, doe,| http://wiki.ubuntu...
video | SteveConklin | joe, doe,| http://wiki.ubuntu...
Audio | BradFigg | joe, doe,| http://wiki.ubuntu...

This way we know who exactly is signing up to triage what kind of bugs,
and roles & responsibilities can be accurately defined. Also its a central
place for triagers to contact subject experts and or look for wiki
information. Each 'Topic' can be a dynamic link to a launchpad search
query that will list latest bugs on say for example Audio, or video.

Cheers
--- manjo

Old 06-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Ian Porter

Hi all sorry about top posting iPhone
Could I also learn from this kernel triage summit ? Sounds really interesting

RegardsIan Porter
www :*www.codingfriends.com