Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Ike Panhc

Default Hardy netbook-lpia branch rebase to 2.6.24-28.70

Hi,

Please review for the rebase on Hardy netbook-lpia branch including lbm/lrm/lum.
The git tree is at the following place:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-kernel/.git branch netbook-lpia and
tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lbm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lrm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24.25-28.1netbook01

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lum/.git branch netbook-lpia and
tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01

What has been done list below.

For Hardy kernel:
* Rebase to tag Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70
* Disable LGUEST_GUEST for two reason: we dont need it and build failed on it.
* Remove debian/control and debian/control.stub: Those are auto-generated files

For LBM/LRM/LUM:
* Bump ABI number with kernel tree
* Remove debian/control and debian/control.stub

Please review and let me know if you have any feedback for each step.
If everything is fine, I will upload them to build server.

--
Ike Panhc

Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Stefan Bader

On 06/10/2010 03:01 PM, Ike Panhc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please review for the rebase on Hardy netbook-lpia branch including lbm/lrm/lum.
> The git tree is at the following place:
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-kernel/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lbm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lrm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24.25-28.1netbook01
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lum/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
>

> What has been done list below.
>
> For Hardy kernel:
> * Rebase to tag Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70
> * Disable LGUEST_GUEST for two reason: we dont need it and build failed on it.
> * Remove debian/control and debian/control.stub: Those are auto-generated files

The last step is not wrong but unusual compared to the master tree. Usually we
carry those files there and update them whenever we make an abi bump.
You can go forward and remove them, but just need to keep in mind that you will
need to call debian/rules clean now before you create source packages.

I try to get you a better review, but it might get tomorrow while I am on the train.

Stefan

Old 06-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 09:59:29AM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 06/10/2010 03:01 PM, Ike Panhc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please review for the rebase on Hardy netbook-lpia branch including lbm/lrm/lum.
> > The git tree is at the following place:
> >
> > git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-kernel/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> > tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
> >
> > git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lbm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> > tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
> >
> > git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lrm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> > tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24.25-28.1netbook01
> >
> > git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lum/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> > tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
> >

> > What has been done list below.
> >
> > For Hardy kernel:
> > * Rebase to tag Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70
> > * Disable LGUEST_GUEST for two reason: we dont need it and build failed on it.
> > * Remove debian/control and debian/control.stub: Those are auto-generated files
>
> The last step is not wrong but unusual compared to the master tree. Usually we
> carry those files there and update them whenever we make an abi bump.
> You can go forward and remove them, but just need to keep in mind that you will
> need to call debian/rules clean now before you create source packages.
>
> I try to get you a better review, but it might get tomorrow while I am on the train.

I think I suggested he rip out the built files as he had been bitten by
not updating them. As we have ripped them out of all the other trees
there seems little chance of confusion. Perhaps we should do the same
control-sectomy on the master branch too.

-apw

Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Stefan Bader

On 06/11/2010 02:30 PM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 09:59:29AM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> On 06/10/2010 03:01 PM, Ike Panhc wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please review for the rebase on Hardy netbook-lpia branch including lbm/lrm/lum.
>>> The git tree is at the following place:
>>>
>>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-kernel/.git branch netbook-lpia and
>>> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
>>>
>>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lbm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
>>> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
>>>
>>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lrm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
>>> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24.25-28.1netbook01
>>>
>>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lum/.git branch netbook-lpia and
>>> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
>>>

>>> What has been done list below.
>>>
>>> For Hardy kernel:
>>> * Rebase to tag Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70
>>> * Disable LGUEST_GUEST for two reason: we dont need it and build failed on it.
>>> * Remove debian/control and debian/control.stub: Those are auto-generated files
>>
>> The last step is not wrong but unusual compared to the master tree. Usually we
>> carry those files there and update them whenever we make an abi bump.
>> You can go forward and remove them, but just need to keep in mind that you will
>> need to call debian/rules clean now before you create source packages.
>>
>> I try to get you a better review, but it might get tomorrow while I am on the train.
>
> I think I suggested he rip out the built files as he had been bitten by
> not updating them. As we have ripped them out of all the other trees
> there seems little chance of confusion. Perhaps we should do the same
> control-sectomy on the master branch too.
>
> -apw

I see that this makes the behaviour more like later releases. And maybe it works
just ok (but then you should rip out kernel-versions next). But it feels for an
unexplainable reason uneasy to have some parts removed to give similar behaviour
and possibly have other pitfalls. And maybe confuse people being used to
re-commit those files for Hardy. But that might be overcautious.

Stefan

Old 06-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Ike Panhc

On 06/11/2010 09:25 PM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 06/11/2010 02:30 PM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:

>>> The last step is not wrong but unusual compared to the master tree. Usually we
>>> carry those files there and update them whenever we make an abi bump.
>>> You can go forward and remove them, but just need to keep in mind that you will
>>> need to call debian/rules clean now before you create source packages.
>>>
>>> I try to get you a better review, but it might get tomorrow while I am on the train.
>>
>> I think I suggested he rip out the built files as he had been bitten by
>> not updating them. As we have ripped them out of all the other trees
>> there seems little chance of confusion. Perhaps we should do the same
>> control-sectomy on the master branch too.
>>
>> -apw
>
> I see that this makes the behaviour more like later releases. And maybe it works
> just ok (but then you should rip out kernel-versions next). But it feels for an
> unexplainable reason uneasy to have some parts removed to give similar behaviour
> and possibly have other pitfalls. And maybe confuse people being used to
> re-commit those files for Hardy. But that might be overcautious.
>
> Stefan

I check for which file will be touched after 'fdr clean'. They are control
control.stub and kernel-version.

If those file is removed, who want to build hardy master/netbook branch have to
'fdr clean' before building.

For a developing tree, I think it will be good to remove them. But since Hardy
is a maintaining tree. I will vote for keep it as usual (not to remove those
three files).

--
Ike Panhc

Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Stefan Bader

On 06/10/2010 03:01 PM, Ike Panhc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please review for the rebase on Hardy netbook-lpia branch including lbm/lrm/lum.
> The git tree is at the following place:
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-kernel/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lbm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lrm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24.25-28.1netbook01
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lum/.git branch netbook-lpia and
> tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01
>

> What has been done list below.
>
> For Hardy kernel:
> * Rebase to tag Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70
> * Disable LGUEST_GUEST for two reason: we dont need it and build failed on it.
> * Remove debian/control and debian/control.stub: Those are auto-generated files
>
> For LBM/LRM/LUM:
> * Bump ABI number with kernel tree
> * Remove debian/control and debian/control.stub
>

> Please review and let me know if you have any feedback for each step.
> If everything is fine, I will upload them to build server.
>
> --
> Ike Panhc

Hi Ike,

sorry that it took so long. I went over the trees today. As those are currently,
they should be generally correct. You might either now and update the trees
before uploading or for the next release, consider to remove kernel-versions as
well. If you decide to do it now. You could move the commit that removes those
before the abi bump, which then will touch only the changelog.
But as this is only build infrastructure you may as well decide to make that
change not now but for the next rebase/upload.
Otherwise I think this looks good.

-Stefan

Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Ike Panhc

Hi,

I remove the commit of removing control/control.stub and re-push the four trees
in order to make it "as it was". Not to surprise anyone for buildenv change.

For Hardy kernel the change is
* Rebase to tag Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70
* Disable LGUEST_GUEST

For lbm/lrm/lum the change is
* Bump ABI number with kernel tree

The git tree is at the following place:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-kernel/.git branch netbook-lpia and
tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lbm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lrm/.git branch netbook-lpia and
tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24.25-28.1netbook01

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ikepanhc/hardy-lum/.git branch netbook-lpia and
tag NBK-Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70netbook01

I have built and tested the binary and it looks fine.

--
Ike Panhc

Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Stefan Bader

On 06/15/2010 02:10 PM, Ike Panhc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I remove the commit of removing control/control.stub and re-push the four trees
> in order to make it "as it was". Not to surprise anyone for buildenv change.
>
> For Hardy kernel the change is
> * Rebase to tag Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70

This rebase implies an ABI bump. The files seem not to be updated. From a
workflow point of view, whenever you rebase you need to be careful. Strangely I
thought this was covered by the script...

The other packages look good.

Stefan

Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Stefan Bader

On 06/16/2010 09:32 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 06/15/2010 02:10 PM, Ike Panhc wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I remove the commit of removing control/control.stub and re-push the four trees
>> in order to make it "as it was". Not to surprise anyone for buildenv change.
>>
>> For Hardy kernel the change is
>> * Rebase to tag Ubuntu-2.6.24-28.70
>
> This rebase implies an ABI bump. The files seem not to be updated. From a
> workflow point of view, whenever you rebase you need to be careful. Strangely I
> thought this was covered by the script...

Ok, I just checked and remembered wrongly. Maybe you should add some hints to
the hints printed, that

- if last abi != new abi of the base kernel
- touch debian/control.stub.in
- ./debian/rules clean
- git add debian/d-i/kernel-versions debian/control*
bfore
- git add debian/changelog