Old 06-10-2010, 09:52 AM
"Henrik Rydberg"

Default UBUNTU: (evdev) Dynamic buffers (rev4)

These patches fixes a long-standing problem with occasionally dropped
events from devices that produce a lot of them, such as MT
devices. The problem is especially important to MT devices with
contact tracking. The locking mechanism involved is not entirely
trivial, and the ideal solution has been postponed upstream, until all
details have been settled (multi-reader buffers, see
http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/4/53). The enclosed patches
(http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/5/59) are the ones being queued for
2.6.36.

Best regards,
Henrik Rydberg

Henrik Rydberg (3):
UBUNTU: (evdev) Use multi-reader buffer to save space (rev4)
UBUNTU: (evdev) Convert to dynamic event buffer (rev4)
UBUNTU: (evdev) Use driver hint to compute the evdev buffer size
(rev2)

drivers/input/evdev.c | 68 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------
include/linux/input.h | 17 ++++++++++++

Old 06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Chase Douglas

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 11:52 +0200, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> These patches fixes a long-standing problem with occasionally dropped
> events from devices that produce a lot of them, such as MT
> devices. The problem is especially important to MT devices with
> contact tracking. The locking mechanism involved is not entirely
> trivial, and the ideal solution has been postponed upstream, until all
> details have been settled (multi-reader buffers, see
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/4/53). The enclosed patches
> (http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/5/59) are the ones being queued for
> 2.6.36.
>
> Best regards,
> Henrik Rydberg
>
> Henrik Rydberg (3):
> UBUNTU: (evdev) Use multi-reader buffer to save space (rev4)
> UBUNTU: (evdev) Convert to dynamic event buffer (rev4)
> UBUNTU: (evdev) Use driver hint to compute the evdev buffer size
> (rev2)
>
> drivers/input/evdev.c | 68 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------
> include/linux/input.h | 17 ++++++++++++

Details are in the patches, but this is a bug fix that should be useful
for our multitouch use. The first patch makes the evdev buffers better,
while the second and third are useful specifically for MT devices that
send lots of data. We will likely see patches coming to hint the evdev
buffer size in each driver.

Acked-by: Chase Douglas <chase.douglas@canonical.com>

Old 06-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Tim Gardner

On 06/10/2010 06:47 AM, Chase Douglas wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 11:52 +0200, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
>> These patches fixes a long-standing problem with occasionally dropped
>> events from devices that produce a lot of them, such as MT
>> devices. The problem is especially important to MT devices with
>> contact tracking. The locking mechanism involved is not entirely
>> trivial, and the ideal solution has been postponed upstream, until all
>> details have been settled (multi-reader buffers, see
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/4/53). The enclosed patches
>> (http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/5/59) are the ones being queued for
>> 2.6.36.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Henrik Rydberg
>>
>> Henrik Rydberg (3):
>> UBUNTU: (evdev) Use multi-reader buffer to save space (rev4)
>> UBUNTU: (evdev) Convert to dynamic event buffer (rev4)
>> UBUNTU: (evdev) Use driver hint to compute the evdev buffer size
>> (rev2)
>>
>> drivers/input/evdev.c | 68 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------
>> include/linux/input.h | 17 ++++++++++++
>> 2 files changed, 63 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)
>
> Details are in the patches, but this is a bug fix that should be useful
> for our multitouch use. The first patch makes the evdev buffers better,
> while the second and third are useful specifically for MT devices that
> send lots of data. We will likely see patches coming to hint the evdev
> buffer size in each driver.
>
> Acked-by: Chase Douglas<chase.douglas@canonical.com>

Again, I'd like to track these patches from the maintainer's repo.
Otherwise,

Acked-by: Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com>

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Leann Ogasawara

Applied to Maverick linux master. Again, if you or Chase could give us
an update when these do in fact hit Dimitry's input tree and note the
sha1's that would be great.

Thanks,
Leann

Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Henrik Rydberg

Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> Applied to Maverick linux master. Again, if you or Chase could give us
> an update when these do in fact hit Dimitry's input tree and note the
> sha1's that would be great.

Commit 1017c1c6 has a huge security hole, which leaks private events to
listening clients after ungrabbing a device. Embarrassing. Please revert the
interdependent patches f789717a, 1f89879a, 1017c1c6. I will be back once these
patches are physically in the 2.6.36 queue in Dmitry's tree.

Thanks,
Henrik