Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 AM
"Henrik Rydberg"

Default UBUNTU: MT event slots (rev5)

These patches add MT event slots and documentation to the input
core. The patches have been discussed at LKML over the past couple of
months, and are now being queued for 2.6.36. Since the protocol
enhancements do not change any existing APIs, but are of great
interest to developers, it would make sense to carry them in Maverick.

Best regards,
Henrik Rydberg

Henrik Rydberg (2):
UBUNTU: Introduce MT event slots (rev 5)
UBUNTU: Document the MT event slot protocol (rev5)

Documentation/input/multi-touch-protocol.txt | 217 ++++++++++++++++++--------
drivers/input/input.c | 105 ++++++++++---
include/linux/input.h | 44 +++++

Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Chase Douglas

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 11:17 +0200, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> These patches add MT event slots and documentation to the input
> core. The patches have been discussed at LKML over the past couple of
> months, and are now being queued for 2.6.36. Since the protocol
> enhancements do not change any existing APIs, but are of great
> interest to developers, it would make sense to carry them in Maverick.
>
> Best regards,
> Henrik Rydberg
>
> Henrik Rydberg (2):
> UBUNTU: Introduce MT event slots (rev 5)
> UBUNTU: Document the MT event slot protocol (rev5)
>
> Documentation/input/multi-touch-protocol.txt | 217 ++++++++++++++++++--------
> drivers/input/input.c | 105 ++++++++++---
> include/linux/input.h | 44 +++++

FYI for those who aren't familiar with Henrik, he's been working on some
great stuff upstream for multitouch input. We will be working with him
to improve our multitouch stack in Maverick.

These patches provide a second protocol over evdev for multitouch
devices. This new protocol essentially trades stateless operation on
both sides of the evdev interface for a better stateful approach. For
example, if you have 10 fingers touching a screen and you move one of
them, today you have to send all the attributes of every touch again.
Using the slots protocol, only attributes about the finger that moved
would be sent.

The slots protocol these patches introduce is not used unless drivers
explicitly are changed to use it. Merging it into our kernel by itself
should not cause any regressions. However, later in this cycle or
perhaps even after release we may change drivers to use the new
interface.

These patches has been confirmed as likely to go in for 2.6.36.

Acked-by: Chase Douglas <chase.douglas@canonical.com>

Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Tim Gardner

On 06/10/2010 06:36 AM, Chase Douglas wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 11:17 +0200, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
>> These patches add MT event slots and documentation to the input
>> core. The patches have been discussed at LKML over the past couple of
>> months, and are now being queued for 2.6.36. Since the protocol
>> enhancements do not change any existing APIs, but are of great
>> interest to developers, it would make sense to carry them in Maverick.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Henrik Rydberg
>>
>> Henrik Rydberg (2):
>> UBUNTU: Introduce MT event slots (rev 5)
>> UBUNTU: Document the MT event slot protocol (rev5)
>>
>> Documentation/input/multi-touch-protocol.txt | 217 ++++++++++++++++++--------
>> drivers/input/input.c | 105 ++++++++++---
>> include/linux/input.h | 44 +++++
>> 3 files changed, 271 insertions(+), 95 deletions(-)
>
> FYI for those who aren't familiar with Henrik, he's been working on some
> great stuff upstream for multitouch input. We will be working with him
> to improve our multitouch stack in Maverick.
>
> These patches provide a second protocol over evdev for multitouch
> devices. This new protocol essentially trades stateless operation on
> both sides of the evdev interface for a better stateful approach. For
> example, if you have 10 fingers touching a screen and you move one of
> them, today you have to send all the attributes of every touch again.
> Using the slots protocol, only attributes about the finger that moved
> would be sent.
>
> The slots protocol these patches introduce is not used unless drivers
> explicitly are changed to use it. Merging it into our kernel by itself
> should not cause any regressions. However, later in this cycle or
> perhaps even after release we may change drivers to use the new
> interface.
>
> These patches has been confirmed as likely to go in for 2.6.36.
>
> Acked-by: Chase Douglas<chase.douglas@canonical.com>

I'm good with this since we'll be able to tell right away if it wreaks
havoc with existing pointer devices. What is the maintainer's repo from
which we can pull and monitor directly?

Acked-by: Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com>

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Chase Douglas

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 07:16 -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 06/10/2010 06:36 AM, Chase Douglas wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 11:17 +0200, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> >> These patches add MT event slots and documentation to the input
> >> core. The patches have been discussed at LKML over the past couple of
> >> months, and are now being queued for 2.6.36. Since the protocol
> >> enhancements do not change any existing APIs, but are of great
> >> interest to developers, it would make sense to carry them in Maverick.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Henrik Rydberg
> >>
> >> Henrik Rydberg (2):
> >> UBUNTU: Introduce MT event slots (rev 5)
> >> UBUNTU: Document the MT event slot protocol (rev5)
> >>
> >> Documentation/input/multi-touch-protocol.txt | 217 ++++++++++++++++++--------
> >> drivers/input/input.c | 105 ++++++++++---
> >> include/linux/input.h | 44 +++++
> >> 3 files changed, 271 insertions(+), 95 deletions(-)
> >
> > FYI for those who aren't familiar with Henrik, he's been working on some
> > great stuff upstream for multitouch input. We will be working with him
> > to improve our multitouch stack in Maverick.
> >
> > These patches provide a second protocol over evdev for multitouch
> > devices. This new protocol essentially trades stateless operation on
> > both sides of the evdev interface for a better stateful approach. For
> > example, if you have 10 fingers touching a screen and you move one of
> > them, today you have to send all the attributes of every touch again.
> > Using the slots protocol, only attributes about the finger that moved
> > would be sent.
> >
> > The slots protocol these patches introduce is not used unless drivers
> > explicitly are changed to use it. Merging it into our kernel by itself
> > should not cause any regressions. However, later in this cycle or
> > perhaps even after release we may change drivers to use the new
> > interface.
> >
> > These patches has been confirmed as likely to go in for 2.6.36.
> >
> > Acked-by: Chase Douglas<chase.douglas@canonical.com>
> >

> I'm good with this since we'll be able to tell right away if it wreaks
> havoc with existing pointer devices. What is the maintainer's repo from
> which we can pull and monitor directly?
>
> Acked-by: Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com>

The maintainer's repo is at:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git;a=summary

According to Henrik, Dmitry has made it clear that both sets of patches
Henrik sent today will be queued up for 2.6.36, but they haven't made it
into his tree yet. One of my tasks today is to ACK these patches
upstream as well to push them along.

-- Chase

Old 06-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:43:13AM -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:

> The maintainer's repo is at:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git;a=summary
>
> According to Henrik, Dmitry has made it clear that both sets of patches
> Henrik sent today will be queued up for 2.6.36, but they haven't made it
> into his tree yet. One of my tasks today is to ACK these patches
> upstream as well to push them along.

Might make sense to wait for them to hit there so we know the sha1's for
later.

-apw

Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Leann Ogasawara

Applied to Maverick linux master. If you or Chase could give us an
update when these do in fact hit Dimitry's input tree and note the
sha1's that would be great.

Thanks,
Leann

Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Chase Douglas

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 14:45 -0700, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> Applied to Maverick linux master. If you or Chase could give us an
> update when these do in fact hit Dimitry's input tree and note the
> sha1's that would be great.

If you're still interested, these patches went into Linus' tree as
commits:

40d007e7df1dab17bf1ecf91e718218354d963d7 Input: introduce MT event slots
72c8a94a585afea1f45aa8c4f6938ed6d05be57a Input: document the MT event
slot protocol

-- Chase

Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 16:29 +0100, Chase Douglas wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 14:45 -0700, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> > Applied to Maverick linux master. If you or Chase could give us an
> > update when these do in fact hit Dimitry's input tree and note the
> > sha1's that would be great.
>
> If you're still interested, these patches went into Linus' tree as
> commits:
>
> 40d007e7df1dab17bf1ecf91e718218354d963d7 Input: introduce MT event slots
> 72c8a94a585afea1f45aa8c4f6938ed6d05be57a Input: document the MT event
> slot protocol

Thanks for the note. I've gone ahead and dropped the patches we were
carrying in favor of cherry-picking the official upstream ones you
noted.

Thanks,
Leann