Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 AM
"Huang, Ying"

Default UEFI64 support for Ubuntu

Hi,

I works for Intel Open Source Technology Center and I am responsible for
UEFI64 support on x86_64 platform. To enable UEFI x86_64 platform, we
worked on the Linux kernel support patches and bootloader support
patches. The Linux kernel support patches have been submitted to LKML.
The ELILO (a bootloader) support patches have been submitted to
maintainer too.

In addition to ELILO, we also port the GRUB 0.97 onto the UEFI x86_64
platform. Because the GRUB maintainer will not accept the new feature
and new port for GRUB (new feature/port should go GRUB2), we decide to
send the GRUB UEFI64 support patches to OSVs directly if needed. Now, we
have the GRUB/UEFI port patches based on Fedora's GRUB git repository.

I have some question about Ubuntu and EFI as follow:

Is it planned by Ubuntu to support UEFI64 machine?

If it is planned:
Which bootloader will be used? ELILO, GRUB1 + UEFI patches or GRUB2 (now
no UEFI/x86_64 support)?
Who is responsible for installer on EFI platform?

Thanks,
Huang Ying

Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Matthew Garrett

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:04:13PM +0800, Huang, Ying wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I works for Intel Open Source Technology Center and I am responsible for
> UEFI64 support on x86_64 platform. To enable UEFI x86_64 platform, we
> worked on the Linux kernel support patches and bootloader support
> patches. The Linux kernel support patches have been submitted to LKML.
> The ELILO (a bootloader) support patches have been submitted to
> maintainer too.

Are there currently any available UEFI64 platforms?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 01-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Ben Collins

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 03:50 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:04:13PM +0800, Huang, Ying wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I works for Intel Open Source Technology Center and I am responsible for
> > UEFI64 support on x86_64 platform. To enable UEFI x86_64 platform, we
> > worked on the Linux kernel support patches and bootloader support
> > patches. The Linux kernel support patches have been submitted to LKML.
> > The ELILO (a bootloader) support patches have been submitted to
> > maintainer too.
>
> Are there currently any available UEFI64 platforms?

I'm not aware of any existing ones, but I do know that early in Hardy's
life cycle, there will be some coming available.

--
Ubuntu : http://www.ubuntu.com/
Linux1394: http://wiki.linux1394.org/

Old 01-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:45:06AM -0600, Ben Collins wrote:
> I'm not aware of any existing ones, but I do know that early in Hardy's
> life cycle, there will be some coming available.

Ok. My experience (with playing with the Intel Macs in EFI mode) is that
adding support for this to the distribution is a non-trivial amount of
work - if this is going to be a target for Hardy then we probably want
to look at everything involved before just merging the kernel code.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org