-   -   what about a ubuntu kernel allows "shutdown" to actually shutdown? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/378343-what-about-ubuntu-kernel-allows-shutdown-actually-shutdown.html)

"Robert P. J. Day" 05-29-2010 06:33 PM

what about a ubuntu kernel allows "shutdown" to actually shutdown?

possibly an inappropriately trivial question for this list, but when
i run one of my vanilla-git kernels on my 10.04 system, and i choose
to shutdown, what i actually get is a reboot. consistently. that's
been the same with my 2.6.34-rc7 kernel and with my 2.6.34 kernel,
which i built and installed today. however, if i reboot and run my
stock 2.6.32-21-generic kernel, then shutdown works properly.

this is on a gateway NV52 laptop but i suspect that's not really a
relevant fact. is there something obvious that's causing this? some
feature of the ubuntu-supplied kernel or the initrd image or grub
settings? my home-rolled kernels appear to work fine in every other
way, but the shutdown/reboot issue is really getting annoying.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday