Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Jerone Young

Default Loading uinput module by default in 10.10 for bluetooth devices?

Hi all,
I wanted to see if anyone knew anything bad about uinput kernel
module?

The reason I ask is that the bluez bluetooth stack uses it. If the
module isn't loaded users loose out on some (cool) functionality with
bluetooth devices. This includes:
- Volume, Next/Previous track on bluetooth headphones
http://www.slashphone.com/media/data/800/S305_Headset_3QtrR.jpg
- keypress from bluetooth presention remote
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=AMP11US
- Bluetooth mice extra keys
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169419000on bluetooth mice

- Any other bluetooth device that has key presses

Today I have uniput loading on my machine, but this is in no way
obvious to your average user. Basic use case is I have my bluetooth
headphones and when I press pause,stop, next, or previous buttons on the
headphones, the key press is sent to the OS so applications (ex.
Rythmbox, Banshee, & Totem) see them and react appropriately. Very cool
stuff. Same goes with my bluetooth presenation remote device (also very
nice).

Bluez sends these through uinput to the OS. By having uinput loaded it
would make the bluetooth experience under Ubuntu seemless.

Tossing around the idea of loading this by defualt...I see two ways of
doing this:

-) Have the module in /etc/modules to load when the OS is
booted

-) Have the bluetoothd init script try to load it

Not sure the best way, so figured would ask the kernel list. As well to
find out are there any security related implications with uinput?

Thanks,
Jerone