Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Matthew Garrett

Default Lenovo x201 WWAN module in Lucid kernel?

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 09:18:26AM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:

> Torsten - This exact driver version already exists in Lucid:
> drivers/usb/serial/option.c. It appears to have support for a Qualcomm
> family of devices, but I'm not sure if that includes the Gobi chipset.
> It might also be a simple matter of firmware. Can you get your customer
> the correct copy of firmware and have them place it in /lib/firmware ?
> It may just work.

No, the gobi chipsets require the qcserial driver. It's been broken
upstream since 2.6.32, hence the patches.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 05-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Tim Gardner

On 05/21/2010 10:11 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 09:18:26AM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
>
>> Torsten - This exact driver version already exists in Lucid:
>> drivers/usb/serial/option.c. It appears to have support for a Qualcomm
>> family of devices, but I'm not sure if that includes the Gobi chipset.
>> It might also be a simple matter of firmware. Can you get your customer
>> the correct copy of firmware and have them place it in /lib/firmware ?
>> It may just work.
>
> No, the gobi chipsets require the qcserial driver. It's been broken
> upstream since 2.6.32, hence the patches.

Torsten - I took a closer look at Matthew's patch set. While I've no
doubt that it works, its also quite invasive. In my opinion this patch
will not satisfy SRU criteria.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 05-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Stefan Bader

On 05/21/2010 07:30 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 05/21/2010 10:11 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 09:18:26AM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
>>
>>> Torsten - This exact driver version already exists in Lucid:
>>> drivers/usb/serial/option.c. It appears to have support for a Qualcomm
>>> family of devices, but I'm not sure if that includes the Gobi chipset.
>>> It might also be a simple matter of firmware. Can you get your customer
>>> the correct copy of firmware and have them place it in /lib/firmware ?
>>> It may just work.
>>
>> No, the gobi chipsets require the qcserial driver. It's been broken
>> upstream since 2.6.32, hence the patches.
>>

> Torsten - I took a closer look at Matthew's patch set. While I've no
> doubt that it works, its also quite invasive. In my opinion this patch
> will not satisfy SRU criteria.
>
> rtg

Looks to me like a lot of generic renaming and exporting to a common header file
and then adding a new driver. Still it looks huge but maybe better if split into
the preparation and the new driver.
Another theoretical option is to prepare this as carried in lbm. But this needs
effort and probably the same one to follow upstream to see it gets into it (if
not already is).

Stefan

Old 05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 09:41:21AM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:

> Looks to me like a lot of generic renaming and exporting to a common header file
> and then adding a new driver. Still it looks huge but maybe better if split into
> the preparation and the new driver.
> Another theoretical option is to prepare this as carried in lbm. But this needs
> effort and probably the same one to follow upstream to see it gets into it (if
> not already is).

A split up version of this has gone into git now.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 05-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Stefan Bader

On 05/21/2010 05:03 PM, Torsten Spindler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have a customer that is planning to source new hardware and they are
> looking at the Lenovo x201. They need 3G connectivity and run into
> trouble with the 3G (WWAN) connection. It seems a 'special' firmware and
> loader is needed:
> http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/gobi_loader/
> There's also this kernel patch:
> http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/gobi_loader/kernel_patches/usb-wwan-2.6.32.diff
>
> Is there any chances to get these changes into the Lucid kernel? Or
> should they continue to look for another laptop?
>
> Regards,
> Torsten

Hi Torsten,

I revisited your request again and from Matthews comments the following 4
commits seem to relate to the 2.6.32 patch (though the list of ids added
looks shorter, so these were likely added somewhere between or later.

I theory the option driver could remain unmodified, but still this would change
larger portions of the qcserial driver and even if it would be considered broken
at the moment we try to minimize changes to released kernel modules.
So for enablement, this would leave the LBM path. However, I think this should
then be done as an official support request as this will require a bit of
packaging effort (because the driver also requires a special firmware loader and
udev rules to be usable).
And one big drawback seems to be that the firmware, which is required, seems not
to be redestributable (otherwise I am sure Matthew would have provided direct
links). So even if we provide the modules and loader in lbm, this still would
leave the customer with no firmware (at least none that easily comes with the CD).

So in that knowledge I am not sure whether we should go forward there. Though
probably this comes a bit late to suggest the customer to think again about the
choice of hw.

-Stefan

commit e07896e62abbf7a741a5cd5b25ba7637bdf91ad0