Old 05-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Tim Gardner

Default Lenovo x201 WWAN module in Lucid kernel?

On 05/21/2010 09:03 AM, Torsten Spindler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have a customer that is planning to source new hardware and they are
> looking at the Lenovo x201. They need 3G connectivity and run into
> trouble with the 3G (WWAN) connection. It seems a 'special' firmware and
> loader is needed:
> http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/gobi_loader/
> There's also this kernel patch:
> http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/gobi_loader/kernel_patches/usb-wwan-2.6.32.diff
>
> Is there any chances to get these changes into the Lucid kernel? Or
> should they continue to look for another laptop?
>
> Regards,
> Torsten

Torsten - This exact driver version already exists in Lucid:
drivers/usb/serial/option.c. It appears to have support for a Qualcomm
family of devices, but I'm not sure if that includes the Gobi chipset.
It might also be a simple matter of firmware. Can you get your customer
the correct copy of firmware and have them place it in /lib/firmware ?
It may just work.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Andrew Mason

> the correct copy of firmware and have them place it in /lib/firmware ?
> It may just work.

Are they the same chipset as in the X200? If so I'd be happy to test if
your customer can't.

Andrew