-   -   fsl-imx51: Turn on CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER option will encounter a linking error (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/365803-fsl-imx51-turn-config_function_tracer-option-will-encounter-linking-error.html)

AceLan Kao 05-04-2010 04:02 AM

fsl-imx51: Turn on CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER option will encounter a linking error

Dear Bryan,

Done.

And it seems that fsl-imx51 branch doesn't have too much features of
the ftrace, such as FUNCTION_GRAPH_TRACER, DYNAMIC_FTRACE, MMIOTRACE,
... ...

So, we might need to enable the following options for the basic ftrace functions
CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER=y
CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER=y
CONFIG_FTRACE_SELFTEST=y
CONFIG_FTRACE_STARTUP_TEST=y

The following changes since commit 6cd3b3af35f35d128d26eb1ff0064f209a452cf7:
Uwe Kleine-König (1):
[ARM] support tracing when using newer compilers

are available in the git repository at:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/acelan/ubuntu-lucid lp574158

Uwe Kleine-König (1):
[ARM] support tracing when using newer compilers

arch/arm/include/asm/ftrace.h | 1 +
arch/arm/kernel/armksyms.c | 1 +
arch/arm/kernel/entry-common.S | 19 +++++++++++++++++++

--
Chia-Lin Kao(AceLan)
http://blog.acelan.idv.tw/

Chase Douglas 05-04-2010 11:37 AM

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Bryan Wu <bryan.wu@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 05/04/2010 12:02 PM, AceLan Kao wrote:
>> CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER=y
>
> this one is not enabled in our x86 master branch config.

A patch to turn this on for the x86 kernels was just applied and
should go out in the next SRU release. I suggest enabling it for ARM
as well. It only affects things when you enable it at runtime.

>> CONFIG_FTRACE_SELFTEST=y
>> CONFIG_FTRACE_STARTUP_TEST=y
>
> These 2 testing configs are not enabled in master either, so it might not be
> turned on as default in fsl-imx51.

I don't think these are necessary either.

> Maybe we need to go through those FTRACE configs in our UDS-M.

I agree, although I believe the x86 configuration is pretty good now.
If it's mirrored for ARM then we're probably set.

-- Chase

AceLan Kao 06-17-2010 05:57 AM

fsl-imx51: Turn on CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER option will encounter a linking error

Dear all,

Can anyone help to review this cherry-pick, it was pending for a month?
We need this cherry-pick to enable FTRACE option, so that we could do
some kernel debugging.

Best regards,
AceLan Kao.

Eric Miao 06-17-2010 06:33 AM

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM, AceLan Kao <acelan.kao@canonical.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Can anyone help to review this cherry-pick, it was pending for a month?
> We need this cherry-pick to enable FTRACE option, so that we could do
> some kernel debugging.

linux-2.6 $> git blog arch/arm/kernel/entry-common.S

f8b7256 Unify sys_mmap*
4fb2847 ARM: 5727/1: Pass IFSR register to do_PrefetchAbort()
6176d39 ARM: 5734/1: arm: fix compilation of entry-common.S for older CPUs
2ca7d67 Merge branch 'devel' of master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-arm
87d721a Merge branch 'master' into devel
ddd559b Merge branch 'devel-stable' into devel
d0420c8 KEYS: Extend TIF_NOTIFY_RESUME to (almost) all architectures [try #6]
9b2616c Merge branch 'for-rmk-2.6.32' of
git://git.pengutronix.de/git/ukl/linux-2.6 into devel-stable
3698426 ARM: 5677/1: ARM support for
TIF_RESTORE_SIGMASK/pselect6/ppoll/epoll_pwait
181f817 [ARM] support tracing when using newer compilers

The patch is merged in upstream as commit 181f817, and commit 6176d39
fixed one of the build issue introduced within this commit. So I guess you
need to cherry-pick both of them. When that's done,

Acked-by: Eric Miao <eric.miao@canonical.com>