Old 05-02-2010, 03:24 PM
saravanan T

Default Clone out a specific kernel version for ubuntu karmic

Hi,
I wanted to checkout the Ubuntu karmic kernel version 2.6.28. How can I just check out this version based on the tag.
I just know the basis of git and I also did few google searches. Many of them talk about clone the repository, then checking out the*

tag. Please do help me on this,since I cannot download the entire repo(>500mb) as my connection is slow.
Command : git clone*git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git *- takes out the full repository*

tried git clone: --reference linux-2.6.28*git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git (not working, this reference does not seem to work)

I also cannot checkout tarball archives using git
Command: git --format=tar --remote=git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git Ubuntu-2.6.28 >archive.tar

Thank You.
Regards
Saravanan.L

Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Eric Miao

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM, saravanan T <saravanadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I wanted to checkout the Ubuntu karmic kernel version 2.6.28. How can I just
> check out this version based on the tag.
> I just know the basis of git and I also did few google searches. Many of
> them talk about clone the repository, then checking out the
> tag. Please do help me on this,since I cannot download the entire
> repo(>500mb) as my connection is slow.
> Command : git clone*git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git *-
> takes out the full repository
> tried git clone: --reference
> linux-2.6.28*git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git (not working,
> this reference does not seem to work)

This assumes you have linux-2.6.28 as an existing git repo.

> I also cannot checkout tarball archives using git
> Command: git --format=tar
> --remote=git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git Ubuntu-2.6.28
>>archive.tar

If you do not actually want the full history, you can download a snapshot
instead with git web interface: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git, click the
"snapshot" link besides the commit tree.

Or you may search shallow clone of git, this, though may require a more
recent git binary.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Stefan Bader

saravanan T wrote:
> Hi,
> I wanted to checkout the Ubuntu karmic kernel version 2.6.28. How can I just
> check out this version based on the tag.
> I just know the basis of git and I also did few google searches. Many of
> them talk about clone the repository, then checking out the
> tag. Please do help me on this,since I cannot download the entire
> repo(>500mb) as my connection is slow.
>
> *Command :* git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git -
> takes out the full repository
> *tried git clone:* --reference linux-2.6.28 git://
> kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git (not working, this reference does
> not seem to work)

I am a bit confused by the kernel version you mention and also mentioning
Karmic. The Karmic kernel is 2.6.31 based while 2.6.28 would be a Jaunty kernel.
Generally, when working with the kernel, you probably should spend a one-time
effort and try to clone the upstream git repo of Linus (this is the only one
that will make sense for using as --reference).

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

After this, you can clone from the Ubuntu repositories

git clone --reference <path to your linux-2.6 tree>
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git

(or replace karmic with jaunty for 2.6.28 based release). This will
significantly reduce the amount of data on disk as well as copied over the network.

-Stefan