Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Andrew Mason

Default CONFIG_DMAR and CONFIG_INTR_REMAP for KVM PCI Pass through

Hello All,
I was attempting to restore a previously working (with Karmic) KVM guest
which had a PCI device passed through to it and noticed that the
64-server kernel has the following config.

>From /boot/config-2.6.32-21-server:

# CONFIG_DMAR is not set
# CONFIG_INTR_REMAP is not set

It is my understanding that both this options are required in order for
PCI passthrough to work with VTd capable KVM hosts.

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM

Is my understanding correct? If so was this option specifically not set
or is it just that it hadn't been turned on since migrating to the new
kernel ?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Tim Gardner

On 04/29/2010 02:57 PM, Andrew Mason wrote:
> Hello All,
> I was attempting to restore a previously working (with Karmic) KVM guest
> which had a PCI device passed through to it and noticed that the
> 64-server kernel has the following config.
>
>> From /boot/config-2.6.32-21-server:
>
> # CONFIG_DMAR is not set
> # CONFIG_INTR_REMAP is not set
>

> It is my understanding that both this options are required in order for
> PCI passthrough to work with VTd capable KVM hosts.
>
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM
>
> Is my understanding correct? If so was this option specifically not set
> or is it just that it hadn't been turned on since migrating to the new
> kernel ?
>

> Thanks in advance
> Andrew

We have not had CONFIG_DMAR enabled in either Karmic or Lucid because
its still marked as being experimental.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com