Old 04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default Lucid Kernel Final Configuration

Now that release is fast approaching it was thought appropriate to
advertise the final kernel configurations for all of the main distro and
ports kernel flavours. The purpose is to expose the main configuration
changes to scrutiny and to provide pointers to the full configurations
where those are of interest.

For Lucid we have aimed primarily on stabilisation and supportability.
As such we do not expect there to be any radical configuration changes
in these kernels. There has been a drive to commonise and standardise
options between architectures and flavours where at all possible to help
standardise the experience. There has also been a drive to pull out to
modules some sub-systems which are commonly replaced by users, such as
HID, and also pulling out the majority of the PATA and SATA drivers as
it is most common to only require a single one of these. We have also
enabled KMS for all graphics hardware where it is supported.

To aid in this comparison we have generated a delta report between Karmic
and Lucid which shows all items which have changed and how the value
has changed. This report can be found at the URL below:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Configs/KarmicToLucid

To facilitate series to series comparison we include pointers to both
the full Karmic and Lucid configurations for each flavour, all of which
can be found at the URL below:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/configs/

Thanks!

-apw