Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Chase Douglas

Default sched: update load count only once per cpu in 10 tick update window

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Stefan Bader
<stefan.bader@canonical.com> wrote:
> I think I am a little confused by other discussions going on on this. A bit it
> sounds like the moment you submitted this there was Peter responding with yet
> another idea. Or am I just confused?

Peter Zijlstra has another idea about using the idle load balancing
mechanism to do load accounting. However, his idea is so far not fully
thought out, and not tested at all I presume. I pointed out a few
concerns with his approach, and he agreed there are issues that would
need to be worked around. Right now, the only tested and reasonable
solution is my patch. I'm waiting to hear back from him on why he
feels using the ILB mechanism is a better approach, but I've also made
clear that I don't understand the code and can't create a solution
myself. I think you really need to understand ILB deep down to do it
right.

I think it makes sense to put this in Karmic and leave the patch in
Lucid for now until upstream decides its final direction.

P.S.: I CC'd kernel-team cause I figured we all would like to see the
discussion, but Peter un-CC'd it cause of bounces. Is there a proper
way to do this, or should we just not CC our list?

-- Chase