Old 03-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Robert Hooker

Default i915 DRM problems in lucid.

Hello, I've found a lot of bug fixes for i915 that seem needed in the
lucid kernel and I thought I'd list them here for consideration since
I'm not having any luck in IRC.

* GPU hangs after DPMS events
*Quite* a lot of reports of this bug, the fix was included in
2.6.32-15 but was dropped during the 2.6.33 DRM merge that happened in
2.6.32-16. Due to the number of people it affects it seems pretty
urgent to bring this back in. Symptoms include hangs after lid close,
idle screen blanking, and suspend/resume. dmesg and old xorg/gdm logs
will show batchbuffer I/O errors when it crashed, EIR is always
00000000 and it eventually ends up with an assert like this happening
- X: ../../src/i830_batchbuffer.h:79: intel_batch_emit_dword:
Assertion `pI830->batch_ptr != ((void *)0)' failed.

Bug: https://launchpad.net/bugs/535640
Fix: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=commit;h=7b56712ff524ee55e38afaee3954d 125f56a6070

* Framebuffer compression causing rendering to stop on 915 and 945
mobile devices after resume.
This one was brought up on the list previously, but it is pretty nasty
and affects all mobile 915-945 users. I submitted my patch upstream
and they applied it and I will send it to stable once it's in linus'
tree but that will probably be awhile with how rarely the intel tree
is pulled in lately.

Bug: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/492392
Fix: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/86999/

* i915 module getting loaded before agpgart
This has been an issue since karmic at least, and is also happening
with radeon. Intel has fixed this in 2.6.34 but it hasn't been
backported to stable yet. This especially seems like a backport worth
considering due to how fast boots are now. Side note about this:
upstream might even actually require AGP modules to be built into the
kernel at some point, the consensus seems to be module AGP=bad.

Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/542251
Fix: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=1f7a6e372e9cb4d749f34c0738d832e 6cadb4071

* Large number of reports requiring lid quirks
Upstream has decided to drop the requirement of having a lid open
status to enable the LVDS completely because a large number of quirks
were getting sent, a lot of manufacturers screw this up because
Windows/OSX don't require it.

Fix: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/anholt/drm-intel.git;a=commit;h=6e6c822868f113dabe3c33bdd91e8 83cc28fa11b

Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Chase Douglas

Hi Robert,

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Robert Hooker <sarvatt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello, I've found a lot of bug fixes for i915 that seem needed in the
> lucid kernel and I thought I'd list them here for consideration since
> I'm not having any luck in IRC.

Sorry to hear that. We do try to pay attention to #ubuntu-kernel, but
sometimes stuff slips through when we get busy. Of course, email's
great for making sure we at least see things .

> * GPU hangs after DPMS events
> *Quite* a lot of reports of this bug, the fix was included in
> 2.6.32-15 but was dropped during the 2.6.33 DRM merge that happened in
> 2.6.32-16. Due to the number of people it affects it seems pretty
> urgent to bring this back in. Symptoms include hangs after lid close,
> idle screen blanking, and suspend/resume. dmesg and old xorg/gdm logs
> will show batchbuffer I/O errors when it crashed, EIR is always
> 00000000 and it eventually ends up with an assert like this happening
> - X: ../../src/i830_batchbuffer.h:79: intel_batch_emit_dword:
> Assertion `pI830->batch_ptr != ((void *)0)' failed.
>
> Bug: https://launchpad.net/bugs/535640
> Fix: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=commit;h=7b56712ff524ee55e38afaee3954d 125f56a6070

Unfortunately, the patch was merged into -16 with the .33 drm
backport. You can find it at:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=commitdiff;h=bd53bbe184ca00326a3c21834 f41cca7a7bdb6d4#patch44

It's a huge commit diff, but if you search for the function,
intel_release_load_detect_pipe, you'll find that the patch still
exists. So it seems the fix lies elsewhere...

> * Framebuffer compression causing rendering to stop on 915 and 945
> mobile devices after resume.
> This one was brought up on the list previously, but it is pretty nasty
> and affects all mobile 915-945 users. I submitted my patch upstream
> and they applied it and I will send it to stable once it's in linus'
> tree but that will probably be awhile with how rarely the intel tree
> is pulled in lately.
>
> Bug: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/492392
> Fix: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/86999/

I remember hearing about this on irc, and I think Andy was looking at
it. He's been off this past week, but I think he'll be back Monday. It
might not hurt to ping him about it, but I'm pretty sure it'll be
committed shortly assuming there weren't any ill effects.

> * i915 module getting loaded before agpgart
> This has been an issue since karmic at least, and is also happening
> with radeon. Intel has fixed this in 2.6.34 but it hasn't been
> backported to stable yet. This especially seems like a backport worth
> considering due to how fast boots are now. Side note about this:
> upstream might even actually require AGP modules to be built into the
> kernel at some point, the consensus seems to be module AGP=bad.
>
> Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/542251
> Fix: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=1f7a6e372e9cb4d749f34c0738d832e 6cadb4071

This seems reasonable to me. See my notes below about the next step for this.

> * Large number of reports requiring lid quirks
> Upstream has decided to drop the requirement of having a lid open
> status to enable the LVDS completely because a large number of quirks
> were getting sent, a lot of manufacturers screw this up because
> Windows/OSX don't require it.
>
> Fix: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/anholt/drm-intel.git;a=commit;h=6e6c822868f113dabe3c33bdd91e8 83cc28fa11b

I remember this being discussed recently, but I can't remember where.
It's probably on someone's radar.

In general, if you have specific fixes the best thing to do is follow
the instructions on the wiki [1]. When you send a patch it gets queued
up at [2]. This list is monitored by the release maintainers to ensure
that we haven't missed anything.

I hope this helps,
Chase

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelBugFixing
[2] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/ubuntu-kernel/list/

Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Robert Hooker

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Chase Douglas
<chase.douglas@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Robert Hooker <sarvatt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Hello, I've found a lot of bug fixes for i915 that seem needed in the
>> lucid kernel and I thought I'd list them here for consideration since
>> I'm not having any luck in IRC.
>
> Sorry to hear that. We do try to pay attention to #ubuntu-kernel, but
> sometimes stuff slips through when we get busy. Of course, email's
> great for making sure we at least see things .
>
>> * GPU hangs after DPMS events
>> *Quite* a lot of reports of this bug, the fix was included in
>> 2.6.32-15 but was dropped during the 2.6.33 DRM merge that happened in
>> 2.6.32-16. Due to the number of people it affects it seems pretty
>> urgent to bring this back in. Symptoms include hangs after lid close,
>> idle screen blanking, and suspend/resume. dmesg and old xorg/gdm logs
>> will show batchbuffer I/O errors when it crashed, EIR is always
>> 00000000 and it eventually ends up with an assert like this happening
>> - X: ../../src/i830_batchbuffer.h:79: intel_batch_emit_dword:
>> Assertion `pI830->batch_ptr != ((void *)0)' failed.
>>
>> Bug: https://launchpad.net/bugs/535640
>> Fix: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=commit;h=7b56712ff524ee55e38afaee3954d 125f56a6070
>
> Unfortunately, the patch was merged into -16 with the .33 drm
> backport. You can find it at:
>
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=commitdiff;h=bd53bbe184ca00326a3c21834 f41cca7a7bdb6d4#patch44
>
> It's a huge commit diff, but if you search for the function,
> intel_release_load_detect_pipe, you'll find that the patch still
> exists. So it seems the fix lies elsewhere...

Unfortunately I do not believe this is the case, look at
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c in the current ubuntu-lucid
source tree and you can clearly see this fix is not applied to it.

3666: struct drm_device *dev = encoder->dev;

3775: drm_helper_disable_unused_functions(dev);

which are the two lines removed by this patch exist.

> In general, if you have specific fixes the best thing to do is follow
> the instructions on the wiki [1]. When you send a patch it gets queued
> up at [2]. This list is monitored by the release maintainers to ensure
> that we haven't missed anything.
>
> I hope this helps,
> Chase
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelBugFixing
> [2] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/ubuntu-kernel/list/

Thanks, I did it this way because I am swamped with other bug fixing
work and wanted to at least get the info out there, but I will try to
adhere to that in the future. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Robert

Old 03-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Chase Douglas

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Robert Hooker <sarvatt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Chase Douglas
> <chase.douglas@canonical.com> wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Robert Hooker <sarvatt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> Hello, I've found a lot of bug fixes for i915 that seem needed in the
>>> lucid kernel and I thought I'd list them here for consideration since
>>> I'm not having any luck in IRC.
>>
>> Sorry to hear that. We do try to pay attention to #ubuntu-kernel, but
>> sometimes stuff slips through when we get busy. Of course, email's
>> great for making sure we at least see things .
>>
>>> * GPU hangs after DPMS events
>>> *Quite* a lot of reports of this bug, the fix was included in
>>> 2.6.32-15 but was dropped during the 2.6.33 DRM merge that happened in
>>> 2.6.32-16. Due to the number of people it affects it seems pretty
>>> urgent to bring this back in. Symptoms include hangs after lid close,
>>> idle screen blanking, and suspend/resume. dmesg and old xorg/gdm logs
>>> will show batchbuffer I/O errors when it crashed, EIR is always
>>> 00000000 and it eventually ends up with an assert like this happening
>>> - X: ../../src/i830_batchbuffer.h:79: intel_batch_emit_dword:
>>> Assertion `pI830->batch_ptr != ((void *)0)' failed.
>>>
>>> Bug: https://launchpad.net/bugs/535640
>>> Fix: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=commit;h=7b56712ff524ee55e38afaee3954d 125f56a6070
>>
>> Unfortunately, the patch was merged into -16 with the .33 drm
>> backport. You can find it at:
>>
>> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=commitdiff;h=bd53bbe184ca00326a3c21834 f41cca7a7bdb6d4#patch44
>>
>> It's a huge commit diff, but if you search for the function,
>> intel_release_load_detect_pipe, you'll find that the patch still
>> exists. So it seems the fix lies elsewhere...
>>

> Unfortunately I do not believe this is the case, look at
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c in the current ubuntu-lucid
> source tree and you can clearly see this fix is not applied to it.
>
> 3666: * struct drm_device *dev = encoder->dev;
>
> 3775: * * * * * drm_helper_disable_unused_functions(dev);
>
> which are the two lines removed by this patch exist.

You're right. I didn't pay close enough attention. It does seem that
the change got reverted in the merge. I'll make sure we take care of
this.

>> In general, if you have specific fixes the best thing to do is follow
>> the instructions on the wiki [1]. When you send a patch it gets queued
>> up at [2]. This list is monitored by the release maintainers to ensure
>> that we haven't missed anything.
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>> Chase
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelBugFixing
>> [2] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/ubuntu-kernel/list/
>>

> Thanks, I did it this way because I am swamped with other bug fixing
> work and wanted to at least get the info out there, but I will try to
> adhere to that in the future. Sorry for the inconvenience!

No inconvenience! I figured you were aware anyways, but it doesn't
hurt to repeat for others reading the list . We'll take fixes any
way we can get 'em.

-- Chase

Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 05:15:09PM +0100, Robert Hooker wrote:
> Hello, I've found a lot of bug fixes for i915 that seem needed in the
> lucid kernel and I thought I'd list them here for consideration since
> I'm not having any luck in IRC.
>

> * GPU hangs after DPMS events
> *Quite* a lot of reports of this bug, the fix was included in
> 2.6.32-15 but was dropped during the 2.6.33 DRM merge that happened in
> 2.6.32-16. Due to the number of people it affects it seems pretty
> urgent to bring this back in. Symptoms include hangs after lid close,
> idle screen blanking, and suspend/resume. dmesg and old xorg/gdm logs
> will show batchbuffer I/O errors when it crashed, EIR is always
> 00000000 and it eventually ends up with an assert like this happening
> - X: ../../src/i830_batchbuffer.h:79: intel_batch_emit_dword:
> Assertion `pI830->batch_ptr != ((void *)0)' failed.
>
> Bug: https://launchpad.net/bugs/535640
> Fix: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=commit;h=7b56712ff524ee55e38afaee3954d 125f56a6070

Ok, this one is restored in the 2.6.32-19.28 kernel. Thanks for the
heads up.

> * Framebuffer compression causing rendering to stop on 915 and 945
> mobile devices after resume.
> This one was brought up on the list previously, but it is pretty nasty
> and affects all mobile 915-945 users. I submitted my patch upstream
> and they applied it and I will send it to stable once it's in linus'
> tree but that will probably be awhile with how rarely the intel tree
> is pulled in lately.
>
> Bug: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/492392
> Fix: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/86999/

This one was also pulled in for the 2.6.32-19.28 kernel.

> * i915 module getting loaded before agpgart
> This has been an issue since karmic at least, and is also happening
> with radeon. Intel has fixed this in 2.6.34 but it hasn't been
> backported to stable yet. This especially seems like a backport worth
> considering due to how fast boots are now. Side note about this:
> upstream might even actually require AGP modules to be built into the
> kernel at some point, the consensus seems to be module AGP=bad.
>
> Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/542251
> Fix: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=1f7a6e372e9cb4d749f34c0738d832e 6cadb4071

I thought we had a work around for this. We have a couple of commits
relating to the MODULE_IMPORT macro which Tim added which should trigger
preloading of the appropriate AGP module for i915 at least.

UBUNTU: SAUCE: Use MODULE_IMPORT macro to tie intel_agp to i915

I suspect we lost part of tha in the drm33 update. Will investigate.

> * Large number of reports requiring lid quirks
> Upstream has decided to drop the requirement of having a lid open
> status to enable the LVDS completely because a large number of quirks
> were getting sent, a lot of manufacturers screw this up because
> Windows/OSX don't require it.
>
> Fix: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/anholt/drm-intel.git;a=commit;h=6e6c822868f113dabe3c33bdd91e8 83cc28fa11b

This one was also pulled into -19.28 but is cause regressions in the
other direction so we will need to work out how to deal wit this one.
Surbhi is looking at the fallout and we will use that to form a plan.

-apw