Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#397734 -- disable cdrom tray lock

There has been much discussion on what the correct behaviour is when
hitting the CDROM eject button. Although this button is intended to only
allow eject when the media is not busy, the common use cases effectivly
render this button inoperative as the media is always busy. Userspace has
been modified to turn off the lock for mounted filesystems based on the
assumption that read-only filesystems cannot be dammaged by loss, cirtinly
less so that the effects of ripping out a live USB based filesystem.
The above modification cannot help with media players which directly
open /dev/sr0 and access the raw stream. This means that behavour is
now inconsistant depending on what you use the disk for. For filesystem
mounts eject will pop the drive, for music etc it will not.

We have been requested to default tray locking off to ensure that the
locking is off consistantly, and that we get a consistant behaviour.
This means that the disk _will_ eject on command, in use or not.
Userspace will be modified to track the loss of the media and unmount it
automatically. Media players will presumably error and stop. Work will
also be done to fix disk burning software to ensure they explicitly lock
the tray to prevent loss of data.

For Lucid.

-apw

Andy Whitcroft (1):
UBUNTU: SAUCE: cdrom -- default to not locking the tray when in use

drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c | 2 +-

Old 03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Tim Gardner

On 03/11/2010 08:01 AM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> There has been much discussion on what the correct behaviour is when
> hitting the CDROM eject button. Although this button is intended to only
> allow eject when the media is not busy, the common use cases effectivly
> render this button inoperative as the media is always busy. Userspace has
> been modified to turn off the lock for mounted filesystems based on the
> assumption that read-only filesystems cannot be dammaged by loss, cirtinly
> less so that the effects of ripping out a live USB based filesystem.
> The above modification cannot help with media players which directly
> open /dev/sr0 and access the raw stream. This means that behavour is
> now inconsistant depending on what you use the disk for. For filesystem
> mounts eject will pop the drive, for music etc it will not.
>
> We have been requested to default tray locking off to ensure that the
> locking is off consistantly, and that we get a consistant behaviour.
> This means that the disk _will_ eject on command, in use or not.
> Userspace will be modified to track the loss of the media and unmount it
> automatically. Media players will presumably error and stop. Work will
> also be done to fix disk burning software to ensure they explicitly lock
> the tray to prevent loss of data.
>
> For Lucid.
>
> -apw
>
> Andy Whitcroft (1):
> UBUNTU: SAUCE: cdrom -- default to not locking the tray when in use
>
> drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c | 2 +-

It seems quite reasonable to have your media ejected upon a physical key
press. There is nothing more infuriating then not being able to eject a
CDROM unless you reboot your machine because some stupidly coded
application won't let go.

Acked-by: Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com>

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Colin Ian King

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 15:01 +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> There has been much discussion on what the correct behaviour is when
> hitting the CDROM eject button. Although this button is intended to only
> allow eject when the media is not busy, the common use cases effectivly
> render this button inoperative as the media is always busy. Userspace has
> been modified to turn off the lock for mounted filesystems based on the
> assumption that read-only filesystems cannot be dammaged by loss, cirtinly
> less so that the effects of ripping out a live USB based filesystem.
> The above modification cannot help with media players which directly
> open /dev/sr0 and access the raw stream. This means that behavour is
> now inconsistant depending on what you use the disk for. For filesystem
> mounts eject will pop the drive, for music etc it will not.
>
> We have been requested to default tray locking off to ensure that the
> locking is off consistantly, and that we get a consistant behaviour.
> This means that the disk _will_ eject on command, in use or not.
> Userspace will be modified to track the loss of the media and unmount it
> automatically. Media players will presumably error and stop. Work will
> also be done to fix disk burning software to ensure they explicitly lock
> the tray to prevent loss of data.
>
> For Lucid.
>
> -apw
>
> Andy Whitcroft (1):
> UBUNTU: SAUCE: cdrom -- default to not locking the tray when in use
>
> drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c | 2 +-

I'm happy with this - and it's a pain otherwise.

Acked-by: Colin King <colin.king@canonical.com>

Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Applied to Lucid.