Old 03-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Kir Kolyshkin

Default OpenVZ kernel for Ubuntu 10.4

Hello kernel-team,

Although it's a bit late I propose to have linux-image-openvz
in the upcoming Ubuntu 10.4 repository. The reasons are:

- there are exising happy openvz users in ubuntu
- 10.4 is an LTS release
- 2.6.32 kernel is long-term maintained by the "stable" team (i.e. Greg
K-H et al)
- OpenVZ's 2.6.32 kernel will form the next stable OpenVZ branch
- RHEL6 kernel will be based on 2.6.32
- Debian 6 kernel will be based on 2.6.32.

We are already working with Debian kernel team on this issue, and we have
an openvz git tree which is 2.6.32.9 based.

If it is still a possibility to include linux-image-openvz into Lucid
(and I hope
it is since it is a win-win situation), please suggest where do we start --
i.e. where to take your kernel sources, in what way do you want us to
provide
OpenVZ patchset, etc. We are committed to this task and would like to
help you
as much as we can and to make the task for you as easy as it can
possibly be.

Regards,
Kir.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Pete Graner

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 04:08:49PM +0300, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> Hello kernel-team,
>
> Although it's a bit late I propose to have linux-image-openvz
> in the upcoming Ubuntu 10.4 repository. The reasons are:
>
> - there are exising happy openvz users in ubuntu
> - 10.4 is an LTS release
> - 2.6.32 kernel is long-term maintained by the "stable" team (i.e.
> Greg K-H et al)
> - OpenVZ's 2.6.32 kernel will form the next stable OpenVZ branch
> - RHEL6 kernel will be based on 2.6.32
> - Debian 6 kernel will be based on 2.6.32.
>
> We are already working with Debian kernel team on this issue, and we have
> an openvz git tree which is 2.6.32.9 based.
>
> If it is still a possibility to include linux-image-openvz into
> Lucid (and I hope
> it is since it is a win-win situation), please suggest where do we start --
> i.e. where to take your kernel sources, in what way do you want us
> to provide
> OpenVZ patchset, etc. We are committed to this task and would like
> to help you
> as much as we can and to make the task for you as easy as it can
> possibly be.
>
> Regards,
> Kir.

Hi Kir,

Unfortunately your a bit late. The kernel freezes tomorrow, after than
there are no new features added to Lucid.

We will have to consider for 10.10

thanks

~pete
--
Pete Graner <pgraner@canonical.com>
Manager

Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Kir Kolyshkin

On 03/10/2010 04:15 PM, Pete Graner wrote:

> Hi Kir,
>
> Unfortunately your a bit late. The kernel freezes tomorrow, after than
> there are no new features added to Lucid.

Pete,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Then why don't we merge today? It's a separate package anyway so it
shouldn't hurt your default kernels in any way.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Pete Graner

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 04:28:29PM +0300, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> On 03/10/2010 04:15 PM, Pete Graner wrote:
> >
> >Hi Kir,
> >
> >Unfortunately your a bit late. The kernel freezes tomorrow, after than
> >there are no new features added to Lucid.
>
> Pete,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> Then why don't we merge today? It's a separate package anyway so it
> shouldn't hurt your default kernels in any way.

While the "freeze" is tomorrow, all the kernels were uploaded
today. Unfortunately it takes quite a bit of time to get them thru the
build system. In effect we are in freeze now.

~pete
--
Pete Graner <pgraner@canonical.com>
Manager +1.828.358.0068 Office

Old 03-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Kir Kolyshkin

On 03/10/2010 05:18 PM, Pete Graner wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 04:28:29PM +0300, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
>
>> On 03/10/2010 04:15 PM, Pete Graner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kir,
>>>
>>> Unfortunately your a bit late. The kernel freezes tomorrow, after than
>>> there are no new features added to Lucid.
>>>
>> Pete,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick reply.
>>
>> Then why don't we merge today? It's a separate package anyway so it
>> shouldn't hurt your default kernels in any way.
>>
> While the "freeze" is tomorrow, all the kernels were uploaded
> today. Unfortunately it takes quite a bit of time to get them thru the
> build system. In effect we are in freeze now.

I understand.

The problem is, we are not porting OpenVZ to each kernel release out there
(the patchset is quite big and intrusive) and the 2.6.32 is a good candidate
since looks like many distros are using this for the upcoming releases.
It will probably not be the case with the kernel for your next release
(10.10).
That is why I feel we are missing the big chance now.

We can work around by setting our own repo for Ubuntu Lucid users, or
asking them to use Debian repos for openvz kernel...

Regards,
Kir.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Martin Bogomolni

kir,

I'm working on a demonstration of openVZ working on a Cortex-A9 quad
core system. I noticed on the unbuntu mailing list that you said there
is a git tree with a patched 2.6.32 kernel, which I would like to try on
a Versatile2 platform.

Would you be so kind as to point me to the git repository, and any
patches or utilities needed to get OpenVZ working on ARM?

-Martin Bogomolni

Old 03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Tim Gardner

On 03/11/2010 10:59 AM, Martin Bogomolni wrote:
> kir,
>
> I'm working on a demonstration of openVZ working on a Cortex-A9 quad
> core system. I noticed on the unbuntu mailing list that you said there
> is a git tree with a patched 2.6.32 kernel, which I would like to try on
> a Versatile2 platform.
>
> Would you be so kind as to point me to the git repository, and any
> patches or utilities needed to get OpenVZ working on ARM?
>
> -Martin Bogomolni

You could start here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelMaintenance

--