Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Chase Douglas

Default Kernel Call for Testing(CFT): DRM stack

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Jeremy Foshee
<jeremy.foshee@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> * * * *The Kernel team would like to issue a Call For Testing of the
> backported DRM stack from the .33 tree. For your reference, we have
> taken the v2.6.33 DRM backport as it greatly improves stability and
> removes the need for the Nouveau LBM module, thus cleaning up installs.
> We are, therefore, keenly interested in the results of testing
> installation and use of this DRM stack so that we can verify its
> stability for the LTS release of Lucid.
>
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Note that the backported DRM stack is found in 2.6.32-16 and newer kernels.

Thanks,
Chase

Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Robert Hooker

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Jeremy Foshee
<jeremy.foshee@canonical.com> wrote:
> resending.
>
> On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 12:51 -0500, Jeremy Foshee wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> * * * The Kernel team would like to issue a Call For Testing of the
>> backported DRM stack from the .33 tree. For your reference, we have
>> taken the v2.6.33 DRM backport as it greatly improves stability and
>> removes the need for the Nouveau LBM module, thus cleaning up installs.
>> We are, therefore, keenly interested in the results of testing
>> installation and use of this DRM stack so that we can verify its
>> stability for the LTS release of Lucid.
>>
>> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> ~JFo

One thing that I have noticed is that the powersave=0 default change
for i915 has been dropped in 2.6.32-16. Unfortunately on my 945GME
netbook this results in a hang to a black screen eventually after
resume. With 2.6.32's drm it exhibited flickering periodically after
resuming until eventually hanging with the black screen. The
flickering is gone with .33's drm but not the hangs unfortunately.
Note that this problem is limited to 945 (and possibly earlier) GPU's,
965+ doesn't seem to exhibit the same behavior.

-Robert

Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Chase Douglas

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Robert Hooker <sarvatt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> One thing that I have noticed is that the powersave=0 default change
> for i915 has been dropped in 2.6.32-16. Unfortunately on my 945GME
> netbook this results in a hang to a black screen eventually after
> resume. With 2.6.32's drm it exhibited flickering periodically after
> resuming until eventually hanging with the black screen. The
> flickering is gone with .33's drm but not the hangs unfortunately.
> Note that this problem is limited to 945 (and possibly earlier) GPU's,
> 965+ doesn't seem to exhibit the same behavior.

Is there a launchpad bug or some other documentation about this issue?

Thanks,
Chase

Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce@canonical.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:14:30PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> The patches in question are for radeon KMS, and as I was told this was
>> only recently fixed on 2.6.34-rc4, I'll review the git log on that
>> stuff, see if I can cherry pick some patches out. I'm not highly
>> motivated to do this though as things are working with a newer kernel
>> and I'm happy to use it but if I have some time maybe I will, I can
>> see this being useful for others.
>
> Alright, well I haven't seen any other complaints (at least, there's no
> bug reports I'm aware of) so it's not an issue on my radar. *Again
> though, since the patch sounds like it's in the kernel drm, this seems
> to be something the kernel team would need to be made aware of.

Kernel team -- Just a heads up, I've tested Ubuntu 10.04 x86 beta2 on
my system with ATI RV770 [Radeon HD 4870], it worked fine with 3d and
HDMI video but HDMI audio did not work. I last reviewed HDMI support
for these suckers and I was expecting this to be fixed last on the
kernel since the HDMI code would be added for the radeon KMS. After
installing 10.04 I then upgraded to 2.6.34-rc4 and my audio now works
over HDMI.

Brynce has suggested if I can look for the patches and see if you guys
might consider merging for an SRU onto the Lucid kernel. If you guys
are interested I might be up for reviewing this, otherwise I won't
even bother as I'm personally happy running 2.6.34.

Luis

Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Stefan Bader

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce@canonical.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:14:30PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>> The patches in question are for radeon KMS, and as I was told this was
>>> only recently fixed on 2.6.34-rc4, I'll review the git log on that
>>> stuff, see if I can cherry pick some patches out. I'm not highly
>>> motivated to do this though as things are working with a newer kernel
>>> and I'm happy to use it but if I have some time maybe I will, I can
>>> see this being useful for others.
>> Alright, well I haven't seen any other complaints (at least, there's no
>> bug reports I'm aware of) so it's not an issue on my radar. Again
>> though, since the patch sounds like it's in the kernel drm, this seems
>> to be something the kernel team would need to be made aware of.
>
> Kernel team -- Just a heads up, I've tested Ubuntu 10.04 x86 beta2 on
> my system with ATI RV770 [Radeon HD 4870], it worked fine with 3d and
> HDMI video but HDMI audio did not work. I last reviewed HDMI support
> for these suckers and I was expecting this to be fixed last on the
> kernel since the HDMI code would be added for the radeon KMS. After
> installing 10.04 I then upgraded to 2.6.34-rc4 and my audio now works
> over HDMI.
>
> Brynce has suggested if I can look for the patches and see if you guys
> might consider merging for an SRU onto the Lucid kernel. If you guys
> are interested I might be up for reviewing this, otherwise I won't
> even bother as I'm personally happy running 2.6.34.
>
> Luis

It depends just on how much (in size and complexity) this will turn out. I will
be open to it if it is not too scary. So interested, yes but if you find on your
way that this comes closer to a 2.6.34 backport than a bug fix you should not
flagellate yourself too much to go into more depth.

Does that sound reasonable?

Stefan

Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Stefan Bader
<stefan.bader@canonical.com> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>> Alright, well I haven't seen any other complaints (at least, there's no
>>> bug reports I'm aware of) so it's not an issue on my radar. *Again
>>> though, since the patch sounds like it's in the kernel drm, this seems
>>> to be something the kernel team would need to be made aware of.
>>
>> Kernel team -- Just a heads up, I've tested Ubuntu 10.04 x86 beta2 on
>> my system with ATI RV770 [Radeon HD 4870], it worked fine with 3d and
>> HDMI video but HDMI audio did not work. I last reviewed HDMI support
>> for these suckers and I was expecting this to be fixed last on the
>> kernel since the HDMI code would be added for the radeon KMS. After
>> installing 10.04 I then upgraded to 2.6.34-rc4 and my audio now works
>> over HDMI.
>>
>> Brynce has suggested if I can look for the patches and see if you guys
>> might consider merging for an SRU onto the Lucid kernel. If you guys
>> are interested I might be up for reviewing this, otherwise I won't
>> even bother as I'm personally happy running 2.6.34.
>>
>> * Luis
>>
> It depends just on how much (in size and complexity) this will turn out. I will
> be open to it if it is not too scary. So interested, yes but if you find on your
> way that this comes closer to a 2.6.34 backport than a bug fix you should not
> flagellate yourself too much to go into more depth.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

Yeah, reasonable, I frankly don't expect this to be a trivial change
so was not counting on it, hit you guys up based on Cryce's
suggestion. Will let you know.

Luis