Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Stefan Bader

Default softlockup: stop softlockup messages due to touch_ts math overflow

Colin Ian King wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This patch will fix a math overflow error that causes spurious soft
> lockup error messages. It catches a corner case, for example, just when
> the TSC heads towards a 64 bit wrap-around when the upper 32 bits are
> set to 0xffffffff. While this normally does not happen (since it
> requires an uptime of possibly thousands of years, it may happen if the
> TSC warps during S3).
>
> If this looks sane, I'll sent it upstream.
>
> Colin

It looks like a sensible way to fix this. Upstream opinion may vary...

Stefan

Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Colin Ian King

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 18:48 +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
> Colin Ian King wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This patch will fix a math overflow error that causes spurious soft
> > lockup error messages. It catches a corner case, for example, just when
> > the TSC heads towards a 64 bit wrap-around when the upper 32 bits are
> > set to 0xffffffff. While this normally does not happen (since it
> > requires an uptime of possibly thousands of years, it may happen if the
> > TSC warps during S3).
> >
> > If this looks sane, I'll sent it upstream.
> >
> > Colin
> >
> It looks like a sensible way to fix this. Upstream opinion may vary...

Indeed, that's why if anyone has any smart ideas about how to do this in
an efficient manner w/o the need to cast to 64 bits I would appreciate
it!