Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Benjamin Tissoires

Default Fwd: Upcoming Kernel - MultiTouchScreen Support

Hello,

I'm the guy who wrote multitouchd and the xf86-input-evdev patch for
multitouch. So I can give you some explanations.

Basically, the xorg patch just transfers the different events coming
from the different points to different slave devices. By default, it
does not do anything and act as a normal evdev driver (it uses the
emulation given by the kernel).

Multitouchd is a tool that simplify the process to set up the device for
multitouch. It tells it to create one or more subdevices that will
handle the different touches.
Then, multitouchd set up the xserver by adding one master device per
subdevice. Finally it attaches each subdevice to one master pointer.

However, all the multitouch devices I know do not send their button
press/release. So the result will be just the motion of the different
pointers. That's why multitouchd uses Xtest to send the press/release
events, according to the valuator "Tracking ID".

As for the Apple Magic Mouse, I also own one. I tested it against the
patched evdev driver (in X), and I got into some troubles: I think this
is the first time (besides the wacom that are a little bit different)
that I get a device that reports both absolute and relative valuators in
the same report.
However, the X server is not aware of a per axis mode (absolute or
relative). So this can not work, unless we make a sided driver to split
the two modes, or unless we patch the xserver to handle it correctly. I
started doing that, the patch of the xserver, but I don't have much time
to work on it.

So the Magic Mouse is too far for being including as a multitouch device
and that's why the scrolling has to be inside the kernel for now (which
is a very bad idea I think).

Cheers,
Benjamin