Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#519448 -- reenable XEN in generic-pae

There has been some discussion about XEN not working with the 32bit kernels
in both Karmic and Lucid it seems that when we moved from having a server
flavour to having a generic-pae flavour in 32bit we moved from M686
to M586 for that PAE based kernel. XEN dom-U now does not work because
it is dependant on TSC support in the processor. Note that the Jaunty
server flavour config was CONFIG_M686 which includes TSC automatically.
It does appear from Wikipedia that PAE support comes after TSC support
in the Pentium timeline and therefore we may well be able to enable TSC
and XEN by switching the generic-pae config over to CONFIG_M586TSC mode,
as to have PAE capabilities you must also have a TSC. M586TSC is basically
just M586 (what we have now) plus TSC.

Therefore we propose to move the generic-pae flavour from M586 to M586TSC
which will reneable XEN as a result.

Proposing for Lucid and potentially for Karmic SRU.

Comments?

-apw

Andy Whitcroft (1):
UBUNTU: [Config] generic-pae switch to M586TSC

debian.master/config/amd64/config.common.amd64 | 1 +
debian.master/config/config.common.ubuntu | 2 --
debian.master/config/i386/config.common.i386 | 1 -
debian.master/config/i386/config.flavour.386 | 2 ++
debian.master/config/i386/config.flavour.generic | 2 ++
.../config/i386/config.flavour.generic-pae | 4 +++-
debian.master/config/lpia/config.common.lpia | 1 +