Old 01-29-2010, 06:28 AM
"Smart Yang"

Default karmic boot hang in menlow platform

Hi all,

*

******** I’m
trying to run karmic in menlow (Intel Atom Z510) platform.

And the system
sometimes hangs when boot-up and goes on when I press the keyboard or plug usb
device. After booting, all the functions are OK.

It seems the
system need an interrupt to wake up CPU or to make scheduler work.

No same issue is
found in ubuntu 8.04 MID edition (for ATOM, kernel: 2.6.24-lpia).

Anyone could
help on this issue? Thanks.

*

BR,

Smart Yang

Old 01-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Stefan Bader

Smart Yang wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I’m trying to run karmic in menlow (Intel Atom Z510) platform.
>
> And the system sometimes hangs when boot-up and goes on when I press the
> keyboard or plug usb device. After booting, all the functions are OK.
>
> It seems the system need an interrupt to wake up CPU or to make scheduler
> work.
>
> No same issue is found in ubuntu 8.04 MID edition (for ATOM, kernel:
> 2.6.24-lpia).
>
> Anyone could help on this issue? Thanks.
>

> BR,
>
> Smart Yang

One of the first suspects here is the timer interrupt. Try the steps described
here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/DebuggingVoodoo to see whether this helps.

-Stefan

Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM

"Smart Yang" <yl_uptech@126.com> writes:

> I’m trying to run karmic in menlow (Intel Atom Z510) platform.
>
> And the system sometimes hangs when boot-up and goes on when I press the
> keyboard or plug usb device. After booting, all the functions are OK.

Try booting with noapic.

I had what sounds like the exact problem with karmic on a netbook (Atom
N270) and noapic worked-around the problem.

Regards,
Pär Andersson