Old 01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Stefan Bader

Default ACPI: processor / EC enablement for core i7 platforms

Alex Chiang wrote:
> * Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com>:
>> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:35:21PM -0800, Alex Chiang wrote:
>>
>>> The second one is a little uglier. I discovered that some platforms
>>> need to evaluate the _PDC method before initializing the EC. This
>>> early evaluation loads some dynamic SSDTs and allows EC init to
>>> succeed.
>> If you could let us know if the second patch is likely to be going to
>> -stable, and if a more minimal fix is likely. Overall both enable
>> pretty common platforms and therefore interesting.
>
> Like I responded to Stefan, the second patch will be in -stable (well,
> technically it should be 3 or 4 separate patches).
>
> I will open launchpad bugs for both patches.
>
> When they do land in stable, does that make them likely to get picked up
> for Karmic? Or are we just talking Lucid here? Not trying to be
> insistent; just trying to understand the process.
>
> Is there anything else I should do?
>
> Thanks!
> /ac

I try to sort of answer the questions/things from both emails you sent, I hope I
don't get too confusing.

For Lucid: When Len has submitted everything to stable, this will automatically
drop into Lucid through Greg dumping it out. Technically you would not even need
a launchpad bug for that. But its needed for things that should go into Karmic.

For Karmic: Now as upstream 2.6.31.y is not updated anymore, everything that
should go into that needs a LP bug. The simplest thing for us is if you can mail
the numbers here. Then there is usually a review and based on that it will make
its way or not. There is a short Doc which hopefully helps a bit on what usually
gets taken or not (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelUpdates).
Enabling HW could be a reason but if the patch looks complicated its rather not
done. But you said your main interest for the second part is Lucid anyways.

So Lucid should get it soonish and Karmic might get the first patch if you send
the bug number (best send both, then we track things in there).

Thanks a lot,
Stefan

Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Alex Chiang

* Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@canonical.com>:

> For Lucid: When Len has submitted everything to stable, this will
> automatically drop into Lucid through Greg dumping it out. Technically
> you would not even need a launchpad bug for that. But its needed for
> things that should go into Karmic.

Ok.

> For Karmic: Now as upstream 2.6.31.y is not updated anymore,
> everything that should go into that needs a LP bug. The simplest thing
> for us is if you can mail the numbers here.

Karmic bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/516325

/ac