-   -   Lucid pull request, LP494565 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/312860-lucid-pull-request-lp494565.html)

Tim Gardner 01-21-2010 04:40 PM

Lucid pull request, LP494565

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.John,

Can you work with Scott to make this really solves the initramfs issue?

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com
The following changes since commit 93365c6873e006ef9296500c5260c54465c56373:

are available in the git repository at:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rtg/ubuntu-lucid.git lp494565

Tim Gardner (3):
UBUNTU: [Config] updateconfigs after 'Revert "x86: Side-step lguest problem by only building cmpxchg8b_emu for pre-Pentium"'
UBUNTU: [Config] CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=y for server and virtual flavours
UBUNTU: [Config] server/virtual flavours CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=y, CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=y

.../abi/2.6.32-10.14/amd64/server.modules | 6 ------
debian.master/config/amd64/config.flavour.generic | 7 +++++++
debian.master/config/amd64/config.flavour.server | 7 +++++++
debian.master/config/armel/config.common.armel | 1 +
debian.master/config/config.common.ubuntu | 7 -------
debian.master/config/i386/config.common.i386 | 7 +++++++
debian.master/config/i386/config.flavour.generic | 2 +-
debian.master/config/lpia/config.common.lpia | 9 ++++++++-
debian.master/sub-flavours/virtual.list | 1 -

John Johansen 01-21-2010 06:13 PM

Tim Gardner wrote:
> John,
>
> Can you work with Scott to make this really solves the initramfs issue?

Indeed, we had kernels built yesterday, with essentially the same patch and
the issue has been on determining whether should go into -server and -pae
or whether we will need another flavour.

john

Tim Gardner 01-21-2010 06:47 PM

John Johansen wrote:
> Tim Gardner wrote:
>> John,
>>
>> Can you work with Scott to make this really solves the initramfs issue?
>>
> Indeed, we had kernels built yesterday, with essentially the same patch and
> the issue has been on determining whether should go into -server and -pae
> or whether we will need another flavour.
>
> john

-pae ? I thought this bug was all about the virtual flavour.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

John Johansen 01-21-2010 06:53 PM

Tim Gardner wrote:
> John Johansen wrote:
>> Tim Gardner wrote:
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Can you work with Scott to make this really solves the initramfs issue?
>>>
>> Indeed, we had kernels built yesterday, with essentially the same patch and
>> the issue has been on determining whether should go into -server and -pae
>> or whether we will need another flavour.
>>
>> john
>
> -pae ? I thought this bug was all about the virtual flavour.

right this is all about -virtual subflavor which is a sub of -server on 64bit and
generic-pae for 32 bit.

Scott Moser 01-21-2010 06:55 PM

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Tim Gardner wrote:

> John Johansen wrote:
> > Tim Gardner wrote:
> >> John,
> >>
> >> Can you work with Scott to make this really solves the initramfs issue?
> >>
> > Indeed, we had kernels built yesterday, with essentially the same patch and
> > the issue has been on determining whether should go into -server and -pae
> > or whether we will need another flavour.
> >
> > john
>
> -pae ? I thought this bug was all about the virtual flavour.

Unless I'm mistaken
on amd64, -virtual is subflavour of -server
on i386, -virtual is subflavour of -generic-pae

Tim Gardner 01-22-2010 12:07 PM

Scott Moser wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Tim Gardner wrote:
>
>> John Johansen wrote:

>>> Indeed, we had kernels built yesterday, with essentially the same patch and
>>> the issue has been on determining whether should go into -server and -pae
>>> or whether we will need another flavour.
>>>
>>> john
>> -pae ? I thought this bug was all about the virtual flavour.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken
> on amd64, -virtual is subflavour of -server
> on i386, -virtual is subflavour of -generic-pae

Yeah, I'd just forgotten that -virtual was also built for i386. In any
event, if these config changes are sufficient, then I don't think they
warrant a separate flavour.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

John Johansen 01-22-2010 04:25 PM

Tim Gardner wrote:
> Scott Moser wrote:

>>> -pae ? I thought this bug was all about the virtual flavour.
>> Unless I'm mistaken
>> on amd64, -virtual is subflavour of -server
>> on i386, -virtual is subflavour of -generic-pae
>>

> Yeah, I'd just forgotten that -virtual was also built for i386. In any
> event, if these config changes are sufficient, then I don't think they
> warrant a separate flavour.

I agree this doesn't really warrant a new flavour unless it causes problems.
There has been some light testing and I have issued a new pull request for
my version of the patches which are pretty much exactly the same except for
they include generic-pae changes.

john