Old 01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#492392: i915 twitching and blanking

We have been seeing a number of i915 issues in Lucid. First the random
'twitching' of the screen left and right for a single frame. Second
dropping randomly to an all one colour screen, commonly white, black, or
blue in my experience. Finally some have been seeing crashes on resume
also with a black screen (this last may be a manifestation of the second).

This seems to all be related to the new clock wiggling for power saving.
Disabling power saving via i915.powersave=0 seems to resolve these
issues across a cross-section of the netbooks we have (which seem the
worst affected).

For now switch the default for this option to off as the symptoms are
pretty severe. Leave the option in for later testing.

-apw

*** BLURB HERE ***

Andy Whitcroft (1):
UBUNTU: SAUCE: i915 -- disable powersave by default

drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c | 2 +-

Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Applied to Lucid.

-apw

Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 16:24 +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We have been seeing a number of i915 issues in Lucid. First the random
> 'twitching' of the screen left and right for a single frame. Second
> dropping randomly to an all one colour screen, commonly white, black, or
> blue in my experience. Finally some have been seeing crashes on resume
> also with a black screen (this last may be a manifestation of the second).
>
> This seems to all be related to the new clock wiggling for power saving.
> Disabling power saving via i915.powersave=0 seems to resolve these
> issues across a cross-section of the netbooks we have (which seem the
> worst affected).
>
> For now switch the default for this option to off as the symptoms are
> pretty severe. Leave the option in for later testing.

This change is also pending in Debian. However, I wonder whether
2.6.32.4 improves the behaviour with power-saving enabled? There are a
lot of i915 fixes in it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Any smoothly functioning technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Ben Hutchings