Old 01-16-2010, 05:17 AM

Default Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks

> Since 32 bits means that any machine with 1 GB more means HIGHMEM, the
> number of non-embedded machines that should run 32-bit kernels today is
> functionally the null set.
You mean machines made today?
> Unfortunately Linux distros have not
> properly promoted 64-bit kernels for 32-bit distros; although pure 64
> bits is better, it would be a *helluva* lot better if people stuck on 32
> bits for compatibility reasons had a saner alternative.
Yep, I remember having to use --force-architecture to install the Linux
kernel from the 64-bit version of Ubuntu into the 32-bit version.
As I remember, the package name was the same as the 32-bit version, causing
confusion.
What led me to uninstall it, though, was that suspend/resume did not work
properly.
I am adding a CC to the Ubuntu kernel team mailing list.

Yuhong Bao