Old 01-15-2010, 05:28 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

Default Booting ancient kernels on Ubuntu 9.10

Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.

Luis

Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
> Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
> the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
> and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
> one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.

I've tested 2.6.23 all the way up and the last working kernel is
2.6.27. Here's a picture of 2.6.25 boot failure, but its the same on
2.6.26:

http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/images/2010/boot-9.10-on-2.6.25.jpg

I'm using stock kernel builds for >= 2.6.27 as that is when Ubuntu
started producing mainline kernels, I've built the others which makes
me suspect I misconfigured them. Here's my config on 2.6.26, for
example:

http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/configs/2010/config-2.6.26.8-fail-on-9.10.txt

Not sure what it could be.

Luis

Old 01-15-2010, 05:54 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
>> Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
>> the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
>> and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
>> one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.
>
> I've tested 2.6.23 all the way up and the last working kernel is
> 2.6.27. Here's a picture of 2.6.25 boot failure, but its the same on
> 2.6.26:
>
> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/images/2010/boot-9.10-on-2.6.25.jpg
>
> I'm using stock kernel builds for >= 2.6.27 as that is when Ubuntu
> started producing mainline kernels, I've built the others which makes
> me suspect I misconfigured them. Here's my config on 2.6.26, for
> example:
>
> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/configs/2010/config-2.6.26.8-fail-on-9.10.txt
>
> Not sure what it could be.

Does upstart 0.6.3-11 depend on stuff only in newer kernels?

Luis

Old 01-15-2010, 06:17 PM

Your photo says the root filesystem failed to mount, but doesn't say why.

You probably have a ext4 root filesystem with extents, which I believe is
the default for 9.10. And extents are not backward compatible with /
mountable as ext3, and it looks like you don't have ext4 compiled in.

On 01/15, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
> > Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
> > the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
> > and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
> > one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.
>
> I've tested 2.6.23 all the way up and the last working kernel is
> 2.6.27. Here's a picture of 2.6.25 boot failure, but its the same on
> 2.6.26:
>
> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/images/2010/boot-9.10-on-2.6.25.jpg
>
> I'm using stock kernel builds for >= 2.6.27 as that is when Ubuntu
> started producing mainline kernels, I've built the others which makes
> me suspect I misconfigured them. Here's my config on 2.6.26, for
> example:
>
> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/configs/2010/config-2.6.26.8-fail-on-9.10.txt
>
> Not sure what it could be.
>
> Luis

and wrong." - H. L. Mencken
http://www.ChaosReigns.com

Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM, <Darxus@chaosreigns.com> wrote:
> Your photo says the root filesystem failed to mount, but doesn't say why.
>
> You probably have a ext4 root filesystem with extents,

No, I am using ext3 on purpose to use older kernels. I only have one
ext3 partition.

> which I believe is
> the default for 9.10. *And extents are not backward compatible with /
> mountable as ext3, and it looks like you don't have ext4 compiled in.

Not it.

Luis

Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Stefan Bader

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
>> Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
>> the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
>> and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
>> one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.
>
> I've tested 2.6.23 all the way up and the last working kernel is
> 2.6.27. Here's a picture of 2.6.25 boot failure, but its the same on
> 2.6.26:
>
> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/images/2010/boot-9.10-on-2.6.25.jpg
>
> I'm using stock kernel builds for >= 2.6.27 as that is when Ubuntu
> started producing mainline kernels, I've built the others which makes
> me suspect I misconfigured them. Here's my config on 2.6.26, for
> example:
>
> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/configs/2010/config-2.6.26.8-fail-on-9.10.txt
>
> Not sure what it could be.
>
> Luis

Not really sure what it might be in that case. Often its changes in either udev
messages or sysfs layout. The first message on the screen sounds a bit likes
some path in sysfs is not found. Though it might be a follow up.
A problem between 2.6.24 and later could be that sysfs changed some entries to
be links instead of directories and at least lvm2 had its troubles with that
going the other way round (using a newer kernel on an older system).
Does your boot get up enough to get a busybox shell to play around with?

-Stefan

Old 01-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:54:57AM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
> >> Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
> >> the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
> >> and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
> >> one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.
> >
> > I've tested 2.6.23 all the way up and the last working kernel is
> > 2.6.27. Here's a picture of 2.6.25 boot failure, but its the same on
> > 2.6.26:
> >
> > http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/images/2010/boot-9.10-on-2.6.25.jpg
> >
> > I'm using stock kernel builds for >= 2.6.27 as that is when Ubuntu
> > started producing mainline kernels, I've built the others which makes
> > me suspect I misconfigured them. Here's my config on 2.6.26, for
> > example:
> >
> > http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/configs/2010/config-2.6.26.8-fail-on-9.10.txt
> >
> > Not sure what it could be.
>
> Does upstart 0.6.3-11 depend on stuff only in newer kernels?

It may be starting to depend on the devtmpfs thingy which pre-populates
the /dev. Thats really expensive time wise during boot if done from
udev.

-apw

Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 AM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Stefan Bader
<stefan.bader@canonical.com> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
>>> Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
>>> the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
>>> and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
>>> one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.
>>
>> I've tested 2.6.23 all the way up and the last working kernel is
>> 2.6.27. Here's a picture of 2.6.25 boot failure, but its the same on
>> 2.6.26:
>>
>> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/images/2010/boot-9.10-on-2.6.25.jpg
>>
>> I'm using stock kernel builds for >= 2.6.27 as that is when Ubuntu
>> started producing mainline kernels, I've built the others which makes
>> me suspect I misconfigured them. Here's my config on 2.6.26, for
>> example:
>>
>> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/configs/2010/config-2.6.26.8-fail-on-9.10.txt
>>
>> Not sure what it could be.
>>
>> * Luis
>>
> Not really sure what it might be in that case. Often its changes in either udev
> messages or sysfs layout. The first message on the screen sounds a bit likes
> some path in sysfs is not found. Though it might be a follow up.
> A problem between 2.6.24 and later could be that sysfs changed some entries to
> be links instead of directories and at least lvm2 had its troubles with that
> going the other way round (using a newer kernel on an older system).
> Does your boot get up enough to get a busybox shell to play around with?

Nope, unfortunately it does not.

Luis

Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Scott James Remnant

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 10:28 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
> Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
> the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
> and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
> one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.

This is something that's flat-out not expected to work, and I'm not
really interested in making it work either - since it would lead to
complexity and maintenance burden.

The minimum supported kernel version for any release is the kernel
version that comes with that release. You should be safe to upgrade to
newer versions, but not use older.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@ubuntu.com

Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Scott James Remnant <scott@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 10:28 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
>> Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
>> the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
>> and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
>> one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.
>>
> This is something that's flat-out not expected to work, and I'm not
> really interested in making it work either - since it would lead to
> complexity and maintenance burden.
>
> The minimum supported kernel version for any release is the kernel
> version that comes with that release. *You should be safe to upgrade to
> newer versions, but not use older.

Heh sure, I wasn't expecting it to work or be supported. It just means
harder work for me to test backports as I need another box with some
older userspace. Curious enough I couldn't even boot 2.6.23 on RHEL5

Luis