Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM

Default Lucid pull request for sfc

Please reference https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-January/008288.html

A second set of eyeballs on the 3 core network patches would be good.

The following changes since commit 9935581d8aa598c953d8d63021b75eaf2d12a635:
Tim Gardner (1):
UBUNTU: [Upstream] b43: Declare all possible firmware files.

are available in the git repository at:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rtg/ubuntu-lucid.git sfc

Ben Hutchings (98):
ethtool: Add reset operation
gro: Name the GRO result enumeration type
gro: Change all receive functions to return GRO result codes
sfc: 10Xpress: Initialise pause advertising flags
sfc: 10Xpress: Report support for pause frames
sfc: Remove redundant header gmii.h
sfc: Remove redundant hardware initialisation
sfc: Rename Falcon-specific board code and types
sfc: Merge sfe4001.c into falcon_boards.c
sfc: Remove boards.h, moving last remaining declaration to falcon.h
sfc: Remove versioned bitfield macros
sfc: Move RX data FIFO thresholds out of struct efx_nic_type
sfc: Update hardware definitions for Siena
sfc: Rename register I/O header and functions used by both Falcon and Siena
sfc: Eliminate indirect lookups of queue size constants
sfc: Define DMA address mask explicitly in terms of descriptor field width
sfc: Move all TX DMA length limiting into tx.c
sfc: Merge struct efx_blinker into struct efx_board
sfc: Change order of device removal to reverse of probe order
sfc: Remove declarations of nonexistent functions
sfc: Move efx_xmit_done() declaration into correct stanza
sfc: Move shared members of struct falcon_nic_data into struct efx_nic
sfc: Maintain interrupt moderation values in ticks, not microseconds
sfc: Removed kernel-doc for nonexistent member of efx_phy_operations
sfc: Remove pointless abstraction of memory BAR number
sfc: Merge falcon_probe_phy() into falcon_probe_port()
sfc: Remove incorrect assertion from efx_pci_remove_main()
sfc: Remove unnecessary tests of efx->membase
sfc: Move MTD probe after netdev registration and name allocation
sfc: Merge efx_fc_resolve() into efx_mdio_get_pause()
sfc: Remove unused code for non-autoneg speed/duplex switching
sfc: Rename 'xfp' file and functions to reflect reality
sfc: Really allow RX checksum offload to be disabled
sfc: Feed GRO result into RX allocation policy and interrupt moderation
sfc: Enable heuristic selection between page and skb RX buffers
sfc: Remove pointless abstraction of memory BAR number (2)
sfc: Remove redundant gotos from __efx_rx_packet()
sfc: Remove ridiculously paranoid assertions
sfc: Move assertions and buffer cleanup earlier in efx_rx_packet_lro()
sfc: Record RX queue number on GRO path
sfc: SFT9001: Reset LED configuration correctly after blinking
sfc: Use a single blink implementation
sfc: Rename efx_board::init_leds to init_phy and use for SFN4111T
sfc: Make board information explicitly Falcon-specific
sfc: Move definition of struct falcon_nic_data into falcon.h
sfc: Move struct falcon_board into struct falcon_nic_data
sfc: Move all I2C stuff into struct falcon_board
sfc: Gather link state fields in struct efx_nic into new struct efx_link_state
sfc: Remove unnecessary casts to struct sk_buff *
sfc: Remove redundant efx_xmit() function
sfc: Combine high-level header files
sfc: Log interrupt and reset type names, not numbers
sfc: Fix descriptor cache sizes
sfc: Treat all MAC registers as 128-bit
sfc: Strengthen EFX_ASSERT_RESET_SERIALISED
sfc: Comment corrections
sfc: Remove unused constant
sfc: Clean up struct falcon_board and struct falcon_board_data
sfc: Fix bugs in RX queue flushing
sfc: Remove unused function efx_flush_queues()
sfc: Hold MAC lock for longer in efx_init_port()
sfc: Split MAC stats DMA initiation and completion
sfc: Move Falcon board/PHY/MAC monitoring code to falcon.c
sfc: Simplify XMAC link polling
sfc: Change MAC promiscuity and multicast hash at the same time
sfc: Move inline comment into kernel-doc
sfc: Do not set net_device::trans_start in self-test
sfc: Limit some hardware workarounds to Falcon
sfc: Remove another unused workaround macro
sfc: Remove some redundant whitespace
sfc: Decouple NIC revision number from Falcon PCI revision number
sfc: Move descriptor cache base addresses to struct efx_nic_type
sfc: Clean up RX event handling
sfc: Remove redundant writes to INT_ADR_KER
sfc: Remove duplicate hardware structure definitions
sfc: Turn pause frame generation on and off at the MAC, not the RX FIFO
sfc: Move Falcon NIC operations to efx_nic_type
sfc: Refactor link configuration
sfc: Add power-management and wake-on-LAN support
sfc: Implement ethtool reset operation
sfc: Add efx_nic_type operation for register self-test
sfc: Add efx_nic_type operation for NVRAM self-test
sfc: Add efx_nic_type operation for identity LED control
sfc: Separate shared NIC code from Falcon-specific and rename accordingly
sfc: Fold falcon_probe_nic_variant() into falcon_probe_nic()
sfc: Extend loopback mode enumeration
sfc: Remove static PHY data and enumerations
sfc: Extend MTD driver for use with new NICs
sfc: Allow for additional checksum offload features
sfc: Rename falcon.h to nic.h
sfc: Move shared NIC code from falcon.c to new source file nic.c
sfc: Add support for SFC9000 family (1)
sfc: Add support for SFC9000 family (2)
sfc: Implement TSO for TCP/IPv6
sfc: Update version, copyright dates, authors
sfc: Include XGXS in XMAC link status check except in XGMII loopback
sfc: QT2025C: Add error message for suspected bad SFP+ cables
sfc: Disable TX descriptor prefetch watchdog

Julia Lawall (1):
drivers/net/sfc: Correct code taking the size of a pointer

Matthew Slattery (4):
sfc: Remove EFX_WORKAROUND_9141 macro
sfc: QT2025C: Work around PHY bug
sfc: QT2025C: Switch into self-configure mode when not in loopback
sfc: QT2025C: Work around PHY firmware initialisation bug

Neil Turton (1):
sfc: Fix DMA mapping cleanup in case of an error in TSO

Steve Hodgson (8):
sfc: Only switch Falcon MAC clocks as necessary
sfc: Simplify PHY polling
sfc: QT202x: Reset before reading PHY id
sfc: Replace MDIO spinlock with mutex
sfc: Always start Falcon using the XMAC
sfc: Generalise link state monitoring
sfc: Add firmware protocol definitions (MCDI)
sfc: Move PHY software state initialisation from init() into probe()

Tim Gardner (1):
UBUNTU: Bump ABI

debian.master/changelog | 2 +-
drivers/net/sfc/Kconfig | 13 +-
drivers/net/sfc/Makefile | 7 +-
drivers/net/sfc/bitfield.h | 17 +-
drivers/net/sfc/boards.c | 328 ----
drivers/net/sfc/boards.h | 28 -
drivers/net/sfc/efx.c | 799 ++++++----
drivers/net/sfc/efx.h | 65 +-
drivers/net/sfc/enum.h | 116 ++-
drivers/net/sfc/ethtool.c | 222 ++-
drivers/net/sfc/ethtool.h | 27 -
drivers/net/sfc/falcon.c | 2830 ++++++++++-------------------------
drivers/net/sfc/falcon.h | 145 --
drivers/net/sfc/falcon_boards.c | 752 ++++++++++
drivers/net/sfc/falcon_gmac.c | 123 +-
drivers/net/sfc/falcon_hwdefs.h | 1333 ----------------
drivers/net/sfc/falcon_io.h | 258 ----
drivers/net/sfc/falcon_xmac.c | 298 ++--
drivers/net/sfc/gmii.h | 60 -
drivers/net/sfc/io.h | 256 ++++
drivers/net/sfc/mac.h | 6 +-
drivers/net/sfc/mcdi.c | 1112 ++++++++++++++
drivers/net/sfc/mcdi.h | 130 ++
drivers/net/sfc/mcdi_mac.c | 152 ++
drivers/net/sfc/mcdi_pcol.h | 1578 +++++++++++++++++++
drivers/net/sfc/mcdi_phy.c | 574 +++++++
drivers/net/sfc/mdio_10g.c | 144 +-
drivers/net/sfc/mdio_10g.h | 6 +-
drivers/net/sfc/mtd.c | 559 ++++++--
drivers/net/sfc/net_driver.h | 303 ++--
drivers/net/sfc/nic.c | 1585 ++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/net/sfc/nic.h | 261 ++++
drivers/net/sfc/phy.h | 27 +-
drivers/net/sfc/qt202x_phy.c | 454 ++++++
drivers/net/sfc/regs.h | 3168 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/net/sfc/rx.c | 82 +-
drivers/net/sfc/rx.h | 26 -
drivers/net/sfc/selftest.c | 148 +-
drivers/net/sfc/sfe4001.c | 435 ------
drivers/net/sfc/siena.c | 605 ++++++++
drivers/net/sfc/spi.h | 18 +-
drivers/net/sfc/tenxpress.c | 305 +++--
drivers/net/sfc/tx.c | 188 ++--
drivers/net/sfc/tx.h | 25 -
drivers/net/sfc/workarounds.h | 20 +-
drivers/net/sfc/xfp_phy.c | 250 ---
include/linux/ethtool.h | 32 +
include/linux/if_vlan.h | 25 +-
include/linux/netdevice.h | 16 +-
net/8021q/vlan_core.c | 21 +-
net/core/dev.c | 51 +-
net/core/ethtool.c | 23 +
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/boards.c
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/boards.h
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/ethtool.h
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/falcon.h
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/falcon_boards.c
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/falcon_hwdefs.h
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/falcon_io.h
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/gmii.h
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/io.h
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/mcdi.c
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/mcdi.h
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/mcdi_mac.c
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/mcdi_pcol.h
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/mcdi_phy.c
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/nic.c
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/nic.h
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/qt202x_phy.c
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/regs.h
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/rx.h
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/sfe4001.c
create mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/siena.c
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/tx.h
delete mode 100644 drivers/net/sfc/xfp_phy.c

Old 01-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:39:03AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:

> Please reference https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-January/008288.html
>
> A second set of eyeballs on the 3 core network patches would be good.
>
> The following changes since commit 9935581d8aa598c953d8d63021b75eaf2d12a635:
> Tim Gardner (1):
> UBUNTU: [Upstream] b43: Declare all possible firmware files.
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rtg/ubuntu-lucid.git sfc

The three core patches look ok. The rest is simply terrifying. Anyhow
I've applied it to the Lucid kernel for testing.

-apw

Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Tim Gardner

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:39:03AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Please reference https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-January/008288.html
>>
>> A second set of eyeballs on the 3 core network patches would be good.
>>
>> The following changes since commit 9935581d8aa598c953d8d63021b75eaf2d12a635:
>> Tim Gardner (1):
>> UBUNTU: [Upstream] b43: Declare all possible firmware files.
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rtg/ubuntu-lucid.git sfc
>
> The three core patches look ok. The rest is simply terrifying. Anyhow
> I've applied it to the Lucid kernel for testing.
>
> -apw

While terrifying, it _is_ just one device driver. I felt it was
important to have the best 10GB support for Lucid that we can have on
the release CDROM for the server enablement program. Backporting these
drivers in an LBM package is not always satisfactory.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner timg@tpi.com www.tpi.com
OR 503-601-0234 x102 MT 406-443-5357

Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 16:11 +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:39:03AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> >
> > Please reference https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-January/008288.html
> >
> > A second set of eyeballs on the 3 core network patches would be good.
> >
> > The following changes since commit 9935581d8aa598c953d8d63021b75eaf2d12a635:
> > Tim Gardner (1):
> > UBUNTU: [Upstream] b43: Declare all possible firmware files.
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> > git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rtg/ubuntu-lucid.git sfc
>
> The three core patches look ok. The rest is simply terrifying. Anyhow
> I've applied it to the Lucid kernel for testing.

Unfortunately we had to do a lot of refactoring to support the new
hardware architecture (the SFC9000 family) alongside the SFC4000, as
much of the MAC, PHY and board driver code is implemented in firmware on
the new chips. The upside of this is that we will rarely need to ask
you to pull any changes to support new boards.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.