Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Stefan Bader

Default drm/i915: Fix Ironlake support

[Note: tracking bug number TBD]

SRU Justification:

Impact: The support for Ironlake in the i915 driver shipped with Karmic has
several major issues which prevent Karmic from running on platforms using this
chipset.

Fix: This is a selective pick of fixes recommeded by Intel to get those
hardware running. It is not complete but without those, the systems could
not be used.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:28:37PM +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
> [Note: tracking bug number TBD]
>
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact: The support for Ironlake in the i915 driver shipped with Karmic has
> several major issues which prevent Karmic from running on platforms using this
> chipset.
>
> Fix: This is a selective pick of fixes recommeded by Intel to get those
> hardware running. It is not complete but without those, the systems could
> not be used.

There appears to be a bug in the first patch where we restore CG_2D_DIS
but never save it, which is unresolved in this stack. There appears
to be a bug in the second patch but it is resolved in a later patch.
Otherwise they look vile but ironlake specific. Details below:

d927c07 drm/i915: Refactor save/restore code
this is meant to be totally benign code refactoring, I see what appear
to be two changes. First it no longer saves IIR, though that appears to
be safe as it was never restored in the old code. Second it seems to
no longer save CG_2D_DIS but still restores it, that sounds like a bug
to me.

f5179c1 drm/i915: Ironlake suspend/resume support
this seems to sneakily carry the fix below:

- dev_priv->saveBCLRPAT_A = I915_READ(BCLRPAT_A);
+ dev_priv->saveBCLRPAT_B = I915_READ(BCLRPAT_B);

Otherwise it seems to add pair save/restore changes, other than there
appears be a bug in handling of DPLL_B_MD which we save only as below:

if (IS_I965G(dev) && !IS_IGDNG(dev))
dev_priv->saveDPLL_B_MD = I915_READ(DPLL_B_MD);

but restore as below:

if (IS_I965G(dev))
I915_WRITE(DPLL_B_MD, dev_priv->saveDPLL_B_MD);

note that pipe A _is_ modified in the expected manner.

05f5315 drm/i915: Fix and cleanup DPLL calculation for Ironlake
seems to reorder the search for a clock, seems to be ironlake specific

d9fd5fe drm/i915: HDMI hardware workaround for Ironlake
looks to only affect ironlake, banging a couple of registers harder

ca1ec5e drm/i915: Add more registers save/restore for Ironlake suspend
seems to add correctly paired save/restore of a number additional
registers. It also carries the fix for the issue in the second patch:

if (IS_I965G(dev) && !IS_IGDNG(dev))
I915_WRITE(DPLL_B_MD, dev_priv->saveDPLL_B_MD);

7325017 drm/i915: Add ACPI OpRegion support for Ironlake
seems ony to change behaviour for ironlake

85208bb drm/i915: Add display hotplug event on Ironlake
seems ony to change behaviour for ironlake

-apw

Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Steve Conklin

On 01/07/2010 06:13 AM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:28:37PM +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> [Note: tracking bug number TBD]
>>
>> SRU Justification:
>>
>> Impact: The support for Ironlake in the i915 driver shipped with Karmic has
>> several major issues which prevent Karmic from running on platforms using this
>> chipset.
>>
>> Fix: This is a selective pick of fixes recommeded by Intel to get those
>> hardware running. It is not complete but without those, the systems could
>> not be used.
>
> There appears to be a bug in the first patch where we restore CG_2D_DIS
> but never save it, which is unresolved in this stack. There appears
> to be a bug in the second patch but it is resolved in a later patch.
> Otherwise they look vile but ironlake specific. Details below:
>
> d927c07 drm/i915: Refactor save/restore code
> this is meant to be totally benign code refactoring, I see what appear
> to be two changes. First it no longer saves IIR, though that appears to
> be safe as it was never restored in the old code. Second it seems to
> no longer save CG_2D_DIS but still restores it, that sounds like a bug
> to me.
>
> f5179c1 drm/i915: Ironlake suspend/resume support
> this seems to sneakily carry the fix below:
>
> - dev_priv->saveBCLRPAT_A = I915_READ(BCLRPAT_A);
> + dev_priv->saveBCLRPAT_B = I915_READ(BCLRPAT_B);
>
> Otherwise it seems to add pair save/restore changes, other than there
> appears be a bug in handling of DPLL_B_MD which we save only as below:
>
> if (IS_I965G(dev) && !IS_IGDNG(dev))
> dev_priv->saveDPLL_B_MD = I915_READ(DPLL_B_MD);
>
> but restore as below:
>
> if (IS_I965G(dev))
> I915_WRITE(DPLL_B_MD, dev_priv->saveDPLL_B_MD);
>
> note that pipe A _is_ modified in the expected manner.
>
> 05f5315 drm/i915: Fix and cleanup DPLL calculation for Ironlake
> seems to reorder the search for a clock, seems to be ironlake specific
>
> d9fd5fe drm/i915: HDMI hardware workaround for Ironlake
> looks to only affect ironlake, banging a couple of registers harder
>
> ca1ec5e drm/i915: Add more registers save/restore for Ironlake suspend
> seems to add correctly paired save/restore of a number additional
> registers. It also carries the fix for the issue in the second patch:
>
> if (IS_I965G(dev) && !IS_IGDNG(dev))
> I915_WRITE(DPLL_B_MD, dev_priv->saveDPLL_B_MD);
>
> 7325017 drm/i915: Add ACPI OpRegion support for Ironlake
> seems ony to change behaviour for ironlake
>
> 85208bb drm/i915: Add display hotplug event on Ironlake
> seems ony to change behaviour for ironlake
>
> -apw

ACK with the changes smb has already made to patch 1. Nice catch Andy.

Steve

Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Stefan Bader

Final patchset applied to Karmic and linked to the following bug: