-   -   32bit PAE v.s. non-PAE performance (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/303640-32bit-pae-v-s-non-pae-performance.html)

Tim Gardner 01-03-2010 01:42 PM

32bit PAE v.s. non-PAE performance

Gleaned from a discussion on LKML entitled 'Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE,
64-bit Kernel Benchmarks'

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_32_pae&num=1

It appears that the performance impact of PAE is not as great as was
originally feared (given a normal workload).

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Joseph Salisbury 01-03-2010 04:18 PM

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com> wrote:
> Gleaned from a discussion on LKML entitled 'Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE,
> 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks'
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_32_pae&num=1
>
> It appears that the performance impact of PAE is not as great as was
> originally feared (given a normal workload).
>
> rtg
> --
> Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

I performed some testing a few years ago comparing 32bit PAE vs
non-PAE kernels. Performance was within 10% or less using micro
benchmarks(lmbench, tiotest, etc). The real benefit to the PAE Kernel
was seen running database benchmarks such as DB2 or TPCC(Comparing PAE
to non-PAE - excluding 64bit). For example Oracle can address up to
62GB of memory versus 1.7GB. So any applications that will benefit
from the ability to address addition memory will have a tremendous
performance boots versus non-PAE kernels.

Thanks,

Joe

Andy Whitcroft 01-05-2010 09:58 AM

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 07:42:13AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Gleaned from a discussion on LKML entitled 'Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE,
> 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks'
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_32_pae&num=1
>
> It appears that the performance impact of PAE is not as great as was
> originally feared (given a normal workload).

Yeah that is an interesting benchmark. PAE is clearly not something to
be worrying about heavily in the common case. If all CPUs supported PAE
we could consider dropping the generic flavour completely. Cirtainly
migrating people with >3GB of ram seems pretty safe.

The most intresting thing though for me, was that 64bit rocks
comparitivly. That is amazing.

-apw