Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Evan Broder

Default Xen dom0 support in Lucid

Hi -
I'm interested in seeing Xen dom0 support re-introduced for Lucid.
My understanding was that such support was dropped in Intrepid due to
the difficulty of forward-porting the 2.6.18 patches. Of course, since
then Jeremy Fitzhardinge's patches for a Xen dom0 using paravirt_ops
have been made available, so it seems plausible that such support
could be maintained without as much hard forward-porting work. I would
expect such support to exist as a custom flavor (not integrated into
the core -generic or -server kernels), as it did in Hardy, and I would
be more than fine with seeing it live in universe.

Before I spend too much time seeing exactly how much work it would be
to pull together and maintain such a patchset for Ubuntu, is this
something that the kernel team would be willing to allow? On the
Ubuntu side, what would be the expectations for work done by people
outside the kernel team (both up front and ongoing) in order for this
to be viable?

Thanks,
- Evan

Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Tim Gardner

Evan Broder wrote:
> Hi -
> I'm interested in seeing Xen dom0 support re-introduced for Lucid.
> My understanding was that such support was dropped in Intrepid due to
> the difficulty of forward-porting the 2.6.18 patches. Of course, since
> then Jeremy Fitzhardinge's patches for a Xen dom0 using paravirt_ops
> have been made available, so it seems plausible that such support
> could be maintained without as much hard forward-porting work. I would
> expect such support to exist as a custom flavor (not integrated into
> the core -generic or -server kernels), as it did in Hardy, and I would
> be more than fine with seeing it live in universe.
>
> Before I spend too much time seeing exactly how much work it would be
> to pull together and maintain such a patchset for Ubuntu, is this
> something that the kernel team would be willing to allow? On the
> Ubuntu side, what would be the expectations for work done by people
> outside the kernel team (both up front and ongoing) in order for this
> to be viable?
>
> Thanks,
> - Evan

My experiences with Xen dom0 have not been positive. The Hardy xen
flavour is quite difficult to maintain, so we stopped doing custom
binaries (essentially a patch set applied at build time on top of core
sources). I do not foresee us resurrecting dom0 within the standard
kernel package until it is supported upstream.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com