Old 12-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Mathias Gug

Default kernel-package compatible with Ubuntu kernels?

Hi,

Is the kernel-package package [1] compatible with Ubuntu kernels? If not,
perhaps it ought not to be in main.

[1]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/kernel-package

Thanks,

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Tim Gardner

Mathias Gug wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is the kernel-package package [1] compatible with Ubuntu kernels? If not,
> perhaps it ought not to be in main.
>
> [1]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/kernel-package
>
> Thanks,

I've seen people try and use it, but I always point them at the
supported build method described at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelMaintenance

I've certainly no need for kernel-package as I'm only interested in
supporting _one_ way of building the kernel.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 07:10 -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Mathias Gug wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is the kernel-package package [1] compatible with Ubuntu kernels? If not,
> > perhaps it ought not to be in main.
> >
> > [1]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/kernel-package
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> I've seen people try and use it, but I always point them at the
> supported build method described at:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelMaintenance
>
> I've certainly no need for kernel-package as I'm only interested in
> supporting _one_ way of building the kernel.

kernel-package is not supported by the Debian kernel team, either. We
encourage people to use 'make deb-pkg' if they want to package custom
kernels.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.