Old 12-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Tim Gardner

Default Virtual flavour runs slow

http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/479440

Perhaps we should consider making -virtual a full flavour as it was in
Hardy? It appears that some of the -server settings are no longer
appropriate for virtualized instances.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Stefan Bader

Tim Gardner wrote:
> http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/479440
>
> Perhaps we should consider making -virtual a full flavour as it was in
> Hardy? It appears that some of the -server settings are no longer
> appropriate for virtualized instances.
>
> rtg

It seems to me, when skipping over the virtualbox ticket, that it is
not the settings in the virtual flavour that causes the problems, but
the one in the host. Which was the change to make amd64 generally
rn at a slower tick...

-Stefan

Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Stefan Bader

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Tim Gardner wrote:
>> http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/479440
>>
>> Perhaps we should consider making -virtual a full flavour as it was in
>> Hardy? It appears that some of the -server settings are no longer
>> appropriate for virtualized instances.
>>
>> rtg
>
> It seems to me, when skipping over the virtualbox ticket, that it is
> not the settings in the virtual flavour that causes the problems, but
> the one in the host. Which was the change to make amd64 generally
> rn at a slower tick...
>
> -Stefan

And adding to that. There seems even to be no common solution as
some say they have no problems with -16 anymore. Others still have
them...

-Stefan

Old 12-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 03:20:19PM +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
> Tim Gardner wrote:
> > http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/479440
> >
> > Perhaps we should consider making -virtual a full flavour as it was in
> > Hardy? It appears that some of the -server settings are no longer
> > appropriate for virtualized instances.
> >
> > rtg
>
> It seems to me, when skipping over the virtualbox ticket, that it is
> not the settings in the virtual flavour that causes the problems, but
> the one in the host. Which was the change to make amd64 generally
> rn at a slower tick...

There is a lot of people saying on that bvirtualbox ticket saying their
problems were resolved by the tick change, but there are also a number
who say it did not help and a further number who claimed -16.53 sorted
out their issues; and that is still at 100HZ. Hrm.

Looking over the vmware thread they just point at virtualbox, and don't
really add anything other than saying "there seems to be a lot of
discussion of bad scheduler performance in 2.6.31" and how "there
should be fixes coming soon to the kernel" which might support the "its
better in -16.53" comments.

-apw