Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Alberto Milone

Default drm/i915: Fix sync to vblank when VGA output is turned off

Hi all,

SRU Justification:

The problem described in this email was reported in a private OEM bug report
for Dell and has been solved by upstream. It's a regression in the drm code
which causes a massive system slowdown if we turn off the VGA output.

The patch is sane and minimal and is available in the drm-intel branch and in
the linux-next branch (see the link to the commit in the bug report).

I have applied (and slightly adapted, as it didn't apply cleanly to our lucid
and karmic git branches) and tested the patch successfully in Karmic.

The integration of this patch is very important for our Dell projects and for
the Ubuntu desktop at large.

Please include the attached patch in both Karmic and Lucid ASAP.

Bug #494461

Thanks in advance for your time.

Alberto Milone
Sustaining Engineer (system)