Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Tetsuo Handa

Default TOMOYO: Add recursive directory matching operator support.

Hello.

Is it possible to apply below TOMOYO patch (which was backported from TOMOYO
1.7.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgBRDa53M8 and merged into 2.6.33) to
Lucid (and Karmic)?

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7539cf4b92be4aecc573ea962135f24 6a7a33401

Regards.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Stefan Bader

Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is it possible to apply below TOMOYO patch (which was backported from TOMOYO
> 1.7.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgBRDa53M8 and merged into 2.6.33) to
> Lucid (and Karmic)?
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7539cf4b92be4aecc573ea962135f24 6a7a33401
>
> Regards.

Speaking for Karmic only, I do not think this is suitable as a SRU there.
The patch looks too big and does not really seem to address a problem but
rather is a functional enhancement.

-Stefan

Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Tetsuo Handa

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Is it possible to apply below TOMOYO patch (which was backported from TOMOYO
> > 1.7.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgBRDa53M8 and merged into 2.6.33) to
> > Lucid (and Karmic)?
> >
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7539cf4b92be4aecc573ea962135f24 6a7a33401
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> Speaking for Karmic only, I do not think this is suitable as a SRU there.
> The patch looks too big and does not really seem to address a problem but
> rather is a functional enhancement.

Yes. It is a functional enhancement.

Without this patch, users have to write like

/var/www/html/*.html
/var/www/html/*/*.html
/var/www/html/*/*/*.html
/var/www/html/*/*/*/*.html
/var/www/html/*/*/*/*/*.html

to specify recursively. The problem is that it is troublesome for users.

With this patch, users can write like

/var/www/html/*.html
/var/www/html/{*}/*.html

to specify recursively.

I'm fine if this patch is not acceptable for Karmic SRU.
But for Lucid, I want it (if possible) because it helps users greatly.

Regards.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 08:50:19PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is it possible to apply below TOMOYO patch (which was backported from TOMOYO
> 1.7.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgBRDa53M8 and merged into 2.6.33) to
> Lucid (and Karmic)?
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7539cf4b92be4aecc573ea962135f24 6a7a33401

This is a fairly comprehensive patch, which appears to have some
performance detrement to the TOMOYO matcher. Though as its already
upstream I guess its the way things are going.

Would there be userspace component interlock required if the kernel
had this support, if there is taking this now might help with the LTS
backports effort? Though I assume our TOMOYO userbase is pretty small,
I assum its not a default option. Does anyone know how extensive our
tomoyo userbase is?

-apw

Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 PM
John Johansen

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 08:50:19PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is it possible to apply below TOMOYO patch (which was backported from TOMOYO
>> 1.7.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgBRDa53M8 and merged into 2.6.33) to
>> Lucid (and Karmic)?
>>
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7539cf4b92be4aecc573ea962135f24 6a7a33401
>
> This is a fairly comprehensive patch, which appears to have some
> performance detrement to the TOMOYO matcher. Though as its already
> upstream I guess its the way things are going.
>
> Would there be userspace component interlock required if the kernel
> had this support, if there is taking this now might help with the LTS
> backports effort? Though I assume our TOMOYO userbase is pretty small,
> I assum its not a default option. Does anyone know how extensive our
> tomoyo userbase is?

I am not sure what is required from the Tomoyo user space but I did spend
enough time with this patch to be comfortable with it.

I know from a policy pov having the recursive matching is a big win and it will
be a feature that is worth having for the LTS backports efforts.

With this patch being upstream and knowing what kind of impact it can have
on TOMOYO I feel comfortable ACKing it for Lucid.

john

Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Tetsuo Handa

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 08:50:19PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Is it possible to apply below TOMOYO patch (which was backported from TOMOYO
> > 1.7.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgBRDa53M8 and merged into 2.6.33) to
> > Lucid (and Karmic)?
> >
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7539cf4b92be4aecc573ea962135f24 6a7a33401
>
> This is a fairly comprehensive patch, which appears to have some
> performance detrement to the TOMOYO matcher. Though as its already
> upstream I guess its the way things are going.

There is no performance detriment if string does not contain patterns, and
most strings do not contain patterns. Thus, performance detriment by this patch
won't be noticed.

> Does anyone know how extensive our tomoyo userbase is?

TOMOYO suits well on embedded systems like Android as well as PC and servers.
( http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/docs/JLS_tomoyo_tutorial.pdf )

TOMOYO is one of candidates for Chromium OS.
( http://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/system-hardening )

People can't get distributor's support if they use modified kernels.
Nonetheless, they have been using TOMOYO 1.x (about 33000 downloads) without
distributor's support. I don't have means to measure your TOMOYO userbase,
but I'm sure that it is worth applying this patch for Lucid.

Regards.