Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 PM
"Palani Chinnakannan (pals)"

Default Launching a new Linux image from within Linux

Hi,

****** I have a requirement in
which we have to fetch a new Linux image from the

network and have to launch this image.* I am wondering
if it is possible to launch

this image from within the current operating Linux (after transitioning
to rl 0)?

ie., I am wondering if we can skip a CPU reset. The reason
is the new image is in

memory and we do not want to lose this due to reset.

*

Any alternate suggestions like maintaining some persistent
ram etc will be nice.

We are trying to avoid writing the image back to disk.

*

Thanks

*

pals

Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Tim Gardner

Palani Chinnakannan (pals) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a requirement in which we have to fetch a new Linux image
> from the
>
> network and have to launch this image. I am wondering if it is possible
> to launch
>
> this image from within the current operating Linux (after transitioning
> to rl 0)?
>
> ie., I am wondering if we can skip a CPU reset. The reason is the new
> image is in
>
> memory and we do not want to lose this due to reset.
>

> Any alternate suggestions like maintaining some persistent ram etc will
> be nice.
>
> We are trying to avoid writing the image back to disk.
>

> Thanks
>

> pals

Is kexec sufficient for your needs?

--