FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Kernel Team

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Ancoron Luciferis
 
Default Problem - ATI Radeon X1950XTX + Dell 3007WFPHC = no boot

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi *,

As the subject says it already I have a problem regarding booting a
previously running Kubuntu 9.10 installation.

My system:

- - Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard
- - AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Quad-Core
- - 4GB RAM
- - ATI Radeon X1950XTX PEG

The kernel I tried first is the latest in Karmic: 2.6.31-15.50 (generic,
amd64). I also tried the vanilla 2.6.32 without change.

The situation is the following:

I wanted to change from a dual-headed CRT setup into a single-headed LCD
setup using the mentioned Dell 3007WFP-HC as I successfully run another
Dell 3007WFP-HC at work with a Radeon HD2400PRO. So I changed the
xorg.conf accordingly, turned off the system, plugged out the CRT's and
plugged in the Dell. Then I turned on the machine which brought me to
the usual grub menu but after that the display remained black and the
system doesn't boot any further. The backlight of the display is turned
on but nothing (not even a blinking cursor or something) is displayed
and the system sits there forever.

I can reboot the system using CTRL+ALT+DEL and if I plug off the monitor
cable than the kernel continues to boot. When the system is booted
without the monitor plugged in I plug it in, restart KDM and voila, all
things are fine and the display comes up properly. In addition there is
no warning and no error in the logs that would point me to any direction.

In the logs I see this:

...
[ 2.250193] Freeing unused kernel memory: 728k freed

[ 2.250388] Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 7792k

[ 2.395052] r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded

[ 2.395080] r8169 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 ...

[ 2.395143] r8169 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64

[ 2.395176] alloc irq_desc for 27 on node 0

[ 2.395179] alloc kstat_irqs on node 0

[ 2.395191] r8169 0000:02:00.0: irq 27 for MSI/MSI-X

[ 2.395660] eth0: RTL8168c/8111c at 0xffffc90000672000, ...

[ 2.395890] usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev

[ 2.400429] input: Microsoft Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with ...
[ 2.400502] generic-usb 0003:045E:0039.0001: input,hidraw0: ...
[ 2.400536] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid


[ 2.400538] usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver


[ 2.403855] ohci1394 0000:03:0e.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 ...

[ 2.470131] ohci1394: fw-host0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): ...
[ 3.780218] ieee1394: Host added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] ...

...wait, wait, wait ... nothing happens at all...
...pluggin off the Dell, and whoa:

[ 178.848332] PM: Starting manual resume from disk


[ 178.848336] PM: Resume from partition 8:17


[ 178.848338] PM: Checking hibernation image.


[ 178.848579] PM: Error -22 checking image file


[ 178.848583] PM: Resume from disk failed.


[ 178.879493] EXT4-fs (sda5): mounted filesystem with ...

[ 183.587543] Adding 3903752k swap on /dev/sda1. ...

[ 183.594043] udev: starting version 147


[ 183.712255] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team


[ 183.872782] lp: driver loaded but no devices found


[ 183.915753] EDAC MC: Ver: 2.1.0 Dec 3 2009
...

Using a different graphics card (a Radeon HD4770) works as expected
during boot (although other problems occur later which are caused by the
young driver support). And as my problem occurs in a very early stage of
the kernel boot process I don't see that it should be a driver problem.

Recovery modes work as expected too.

Thanx for any help,

Ancoron
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAksat5IACgkQHwxOsqv2bG1ifQCgnHAaXb3FOE zPT2GPplAXeHCM
T5UAn0EzQ3svtFQMlmxTq0O253FODyRX
=IoER
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team
 
Old 12-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Stefan Bader
 
Default Problem - ATI Radeon X1950XTX + Dell 3007WFPHC = no boot

Ancoron Luciferis wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> As the subject says it already I have a problem regarding booting a
> previously running Kubuntu 9.10 installation.
>
> My system:
>
> - Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard
> - AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Quad-Core
> - 4GB RAM
> - ATI Radeon X1950XTX PEG
>
> The kernel I tried first is the latest in Karmic: 2.6.31-15.50 (generic,
> amd64). I also tried the vanilla 2.6.32 without change.
>
> The situation is the following:
>
> I wanted to change from a dual-headed CRT setup into a single-headed LCD
> setup using the mentioned Dell 3007WFP-HC as I successfully run another
> Dell 3007WFP-HC at work with a Radeon HD2400PRO. So I changed the
> xorg.conf accordingly, turned off the system, plugged out the CRT's and
> plugged in the Dell. Then I turned on the machine which brought me to
> the usual grub menu but after that the display remained black and the
> system doesn't boot any further. The backlight of the display is turned
> on but nothing (not even a blinking cursor or something) is displayed
> and the system sits there forever.
>
> I can reboot the system using CTRL+ALT+DEL and if I plug off the monitor
> cable than the kernel continues to boot. When the system is booted
> without the monitor plugged in I plug it in, restart KDM and voila, all
> things are fine and the display comes up properly. In addition there is
> no warning and no error in the logs that would point me to any direction.
>
> In the logs I see this:
>
> ...
> [ 2.250193] Freeing unused kernel memory: 728k freed
>
> [ 2.250388] Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 7792k
>
> [ 2.395052] r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded
>
> [ 2.395080] r8169 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 ...
>
> [ 2.395143] r8169 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
>
> [ 2.395176] alloc irq_desc for 27 on node 0
>
> [ 2.395179] alloc kstat_irqs on node 0
>
> [ 2.395191] r8169 0000:02:00.0: irq 27 for MSI/MSI-X
>
> [ 2.395660] eth0: RTL8168c/8111c at 0xffffc90000672000, ...
>
> [ 2.395890] usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
>
> [ 2.400429] input: Microsoft Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with ...
> [ 2.400502] generic-usb 0003:045E:0039.0001: input,hidraw0: ...
> [ 2.400536] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
>
>
> [ 2.400538] usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver
>
>
> [ 2.403855] ohci1394 0000:03:0e.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 ...
>
> [ 2.470131] ohci1394: fw-host0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): ...
> [ 3.780218] ieee1394: Host added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] ...
>
> ...wait, wait, wait ... nothing happens at all...
> ...pluggin off the Dell, and whoa:
>
> [ 178.848332] PM: Starting manual resume from disk
>
>
> [ 178.848336] PM: Resume from partition 8:17
>
>
> [ 178.848338] PM: Checking hibernation image.
>
>
> [ 178.848579] PM: Error -22 checking image file
>
>
> [ 178.848583] PM: Resume from disk failed.
>
>
> [ 178.879493] EXT4-fs (sda5): mounted filesystem with ...
>
> [ 183.587543] Adding 3903752k swap on /dev/sda1. ...
>
> [ 183.594043] udev: starting version 147
>
>
> [ 183.712255] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
>
>
> [ 183.872782] lp: driver loaded but no devices found
>
>
> [ 183.915753] EDAC MC: Ver: 2.1.0 Dec 3 2009
> ...
>
> Using a different graphics card (a Radeon HD4770) works as expected
> during boot (although other problems occur later which are caused by the
> young driver support). And as my problem occurs in a very early stage of
> the kernel boot process I don't see that it should be a driver problem.
>
> Recovery modes work as expected too.
>
> Thanx for any help,
>
> Ancoron

Hi Ancoron,

as the boot is normally done with "quiet splash" on the grub arguments
you might try to hit left-shift on boot to get to the grub screen and
then replace the quiet with debug. This will make the dmesg more detailed
and by that allows to better see where the hang is.
Experimentally you might also try removing the splash parameter, to see whether
this has any influence there.
It still could be a driver problem as some drivers are started from initrd.

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team
 
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Ancoron Luciferis
 
Default Problem - ATI Radeon X1950XTX + Dell 3007WFPHC = no boot

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Ancoron Luciferis wrote:
>> Hi *,
>>
>> As the subject says it already I have a problem regarding booting a
>> previously running Kubuntu 9.10 installation.
>>
>> My system:
>>
>> - Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard
>> - AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Quad-Core
>> - 4GB RAM
>> - ATI Radeon X1950XTX PEG
>>
>> The kernel I tried first is the latest in Karmic: 2.6.31-15.50 (generic,
>> amd64). I also tried the vanilla 2.6.32 without change.
>>
>> The situation is the following:
>>
>> I wanted to change from a dual-headed CRT setup into a single-headed LCD
>> setup using the mentioned Dell 3007WFP-HC as I successfully run another
>> Dell 3007WFP-HC at work with a Radeon HD2400PRO. So I changed the
>> xorg.conf accordingly, turned off the system, plugged out the CRT's and
>> plugged in the Dell. Then I turned on the machine which brought me to
>> the usual grub menu but after that the display remained black and the
>> system doesn't boot any further. The backlight of the display is turned
>> on but nothing (not even a blinking cursor or something) is displayed
>> and the system sits there forever.
>>
>> I can reboot the system using CTRL+ALT+DEL and if I plug off the monitor
>> cable than the kernel continues to boot. When the system is booted
>> without the monitor plugged in I plug it in, restart KDM and voila, all
>> things are fine and the display comes up properly. In addition there is
>> no warning and no error in the logs that would point me to any direction.
>>
>> In the logs I see this:
>>
>> ...
>> [ 2.250193] Freeing unused kernel memory: 728k freed
>> [ 2.250388] Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 7792k
>> [ 2.395052] r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded
>> [ 2.395080] r8169 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 ...
>> [ 2.395143] r8169 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
>> [ 2.395176] alloc irq_desc for 27 on node 0
>> [ 2.395179] alloc kstat_irqs on node 0
>> [ 2.395191] r8169 0000:02:00.0: irq 27 for MSI/MSI-X
>> [ 2.395660] eth0: RTL8168c/8111c at 0xffffc90000672000, ...
>> [ 2.395890] usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
>> [ 2.400429] input: Microsoft Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with ...
>> [ 2.400502] generic-usb 0003:045E:0039.0001: input,hidraw0: ...
>> [ 2.400536] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
>> [ 2.400538] usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver
>> [ 2.403855] ohci1394 0000:03:0e.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 ...
>> [ 2.470131] ohci1394: fw-host0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): ...
>> [ 3.780218] ieee1394: Host added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] ...
>>
>> ...wait, wait, wait ... nothing happens at all...
>> ...pluggin off the Dell, and whoa:
>>
>> [ 178.848332] PM: Starting manual resume from disk
>> [ 178.848336] PM: Resume from partition 8:17
>> [ 178.848338] PM: Checking hibernation image.
>> [ 178.848579] PM: Error -22 checking image file
>> [ 178.848583] PM: Resume from disk failed.
>> [ 178.879493] EXT4-fs (sda5): mounted filesystem with ...
>> [ 183.587543] Adding 3903752k swap on /dev/sda1. ...
>> [ 183.594043] udev: starting version 147
>> [ 183.712255] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
>> [ 183.872782] lp: driver loaded but no devices found
>> [ 183.915753] EDAC MC: Ver: 2.1.0 Dec 3 2009
>> ...
>>
>> Using a different graphics card (a Radeon HD4770) works as expected
>> during boot (although other problems occur later which are caused by the
>> young driver support). And as my problem occurs in a very early stage of
>> the kernel boot process I don't see that it should be a driver problem.
>>
>> Recovery modes work as expected too.
>>
>> Thanx for any help,
>>
>> Ancoron
>
> Hi Ancoron,
>
> as the boot is normally done with "quiet splash" on the grub arguments
> you might try to hit left-shift on boot to get to the grub screen and
> then replace the quiet with debug. This will make the dmesg more detailed
> and by that allows to better see where the hang is.
> Experimentally you might also try removing the splash parameter, to see whether
> this has any influence there.
> It still could be a driver problem as some drivers are started from initrd.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Stefan
>
>

Hi Stefan,

thanx for your reply.

As I have a very similar issue at another machine I filed a bug report
in launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/493834

As I wrote there the "splash" option is causing the boot hang.
Additionally the two kern.log excerpts I provided there from a hung boot
and boot with "splash" option removed yields to a small set of
differences ("diff -w splash-enabled splash-disabled"):

663,665c663,664


< Magic number: 5:611:889


< ata_piix 0000:00:1f.2: hash matches


< rtc_cmos 00:05: setting system clock to 2009-12-10 14:51:57 UTC
(1260456717)

- ---


> Magic number: 5:164:940


> rtc_cmos 00:05: setting system clock to 2009-12-10 14:55:33 UTC
(1260456933)

...and...

764a764,773


> mtrr: type mismatch for c0000000,10000000 old: write-back new:
write-combining

> mtrr: type mismatch for c0000000,10000000 old: write-back new:
write-combining

> mtrr: type mismatch for c0000000,10000000 old: write-back new:
write-combining

> mtrr: type mismatch for c0000000,10000000 old: write-back new:
write-combining

> mtrr: type mismatch for c0000000,10000000 old: write-back new:
write-combining

> [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map


> [drm] Loading RV610 CP Microcode


> [drm] Loading RV610 PFP Microcode


> [drm] Resetting GPU


> [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

So the drm gets initialized in both cases:

[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810

and also the radeon things seem to get initialized correctly:

[drm] Initialized radeon 1.31.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0


And if I only disable the "quiet" option I get some output but as soon
as the progress splash screen should be initialized I see nothing (LCD's
going blank and heavy flickering on CRT but also black, just like a
completely wrong timing).

I hope this helps.


Thanx for any other help,

Ancoron








-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkshYegACgkQHwxOsqv2bG3JZwCeP8HaX5aWBE zZCUGIjWDCUfe4
FqoAoIm/kgNaKkeZkZWsOJ2aKdmeg4LF
=eSHp
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org