Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Tim Gardner

Default When running iotop on Lucid

CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT not enabled in kernel, cannot determine SWAPIN
and IO %

Suppose we should enable it?
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:10:42PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT not enabled in kernel, cannot determine SWAPIN
> and IO %
>
> Suppose we should enable it?

Sounds fine in principle. I am a little concerned that it adds a
spinlock on and update of a task specific structure for every IO by the
looks of it.

I'll enable this for the first kernel after alpha-1 and perhaps you can
compare the performance of the two kernels.

-apw

Old 12-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Tim Gardner

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:10:42PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT not enabled in kernel, cannot determine SWAPIN
>> and IO %
>>
>> Suppose we should enable it?
>
> Sounds fine in principle. I am a little concerned that it adds a
> spinlock on and update of a task specific structure for every IO by the
> looks of it.
>
> I'll enable this for the first kernel after alpha-1 and perhaps you can
> compare the performance of the two kernels.
>
> -apw

Guess I should have looked at it closer. In retrospect, and upon closer
inspection, lets leave this feature disabled.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com